would you carry or not ?

would you carry or not ?

This is a discussion on would you carry or not ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok, my "dilemna" (kinda) , would like an opinion on what is "proper" in this situation. i will be travelling for work monday AM to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you carry or not ?

would you carry or not ?

ok, my "dilemna" (kinda) , would like an opinion on what is "proper" in this situation.
    i will be travelling for work monday AM to the outskirts of a "large metropolitan area". never been there before, but many coworkers (IMHO sheep)have and its supposedly a "safe" area. but we are driving 6 hours there (lotsa distance) on highways.
    dilemnas:
    1) it is against company policy to have weapons/guns in company cars.
    2) will be there for 4 days. nice to have a weapon on hand in the hotel room, i think.
    3) only 1 coworker going also. and he'd be ok with it and would be quiet about it. worked with him for 19 years. good guy. etc
    4) where to leave it while i'm at "the plant" (job site)?
    -carry it in (doubtful...i can conceal well, but 1 oops and i'm toast with the company)
    -lock it in the trunk, cable lock to the car seat structure, etc ...leave it in the car.
    5) tell co-worker at onset of trip "i'm actively carrying" so if we got stopped for speeding, etc. he's not surprised?

i have ingrained myself to "carry" always except when not permitted thats why carry to "work site" would be a no-no for me (probaby)...aka. felony charge...bad muju.

but "the company" isn't there in the car, while we are driving either so....foul?

sorry for "ramblin" but i want real, informed, exacting, feedback on how ya'all would handle this situation.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Assistant Administrator
    This is a ''mix and match'' dilemma!!

I certainly agree re hotel aspect, you want your piece with you but, this darned vehicle element to get round.

I guess the secure in car approach is probably way to go when necessary - but much has to be down to weighing pro's and con's.

All I can say is - almost (within law) by hook or by crook, I will NOT be left disarmed 24 hours a day for a few days - it ain't on. Your problem is essentially a risk analysis deal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I would start by useing my own car and not takeing the company car.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Force
    I would start by useing my own car and not takeing the company car.
    +1 to that

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Beg borrow or Buy a steel lockbox big enough for your pistol.
    Chain it down in the car (trunk) while you work.

Assuming you obey all Laws , and don't carry at work , It's
    NOBODIES DARN BUSINESS what you pack on a trip.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

This is a lousy situation to be in.

What are the consequences of getting caught? Is it a mandatory termination, or is there some discretion where your job performance and history could be mitigating factors? Also, is the prohibition effective whenever you are on company time? If so, taking your own vehicle wouldn't help. What about the job site? Would it be hazardous to carry there assuming you were not found out? Lots of stuff to consider.

If I were in your shoes and decided to carry, I would be inclined not to tell the co-worker, and to keep it on my person at all times. You increase you chances of being discovered when you handle it (locking in car, retrieving, etc.), and if it's against the rules from the outset, what difference does it make if you're caught in the car or on the job?

If you face a certain termination, can you afford the loss of income? What about finding another job when you were fired for a weapons policy violation (read: whacko gun nut postal worker)?

I suppose if the only restrictions were company vehicles and company property/work sites, I would:
    a) drive my own vehicle
    b) carry everywhere except the job site.

If company vehicle was required, I would FedEx the weapon to myself in care of the hotel, and have it available any time I was not in the vehicle or work area.

Good luck. Stay safe.

KC

Seems a Thunderwear (whatever they're called now) or that undershirt that "Fed" uses would definitely be a plus in this situation.

Not advising you should do this but here's how I'd do it:
    - Carry during the travel in deep concealment mode.
    - Do NOT tell coworker as it would put him in a compromising situation should he ever be questioned (he can't tell what he doesn't know and wouldn't be forced to lie on your/my behalf).
    - Secure weapon in hotel room when leaving for work site - if there's an in room safe (or again, carry deep concealment mode if practical/legal).
    Jack

Ya Know, I'm with Bud & Delta. Drive your own car if you can. That way you have control of your property locked in your property.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Get a smaller gun and carry it. Don't tell your co worker, or anyone else.

Take pains to make sure the guy does not know you are packing.

The company can certainly fire you if you are attacked, and fight back, but you will be alive and able to sue the crap outta them.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I like the option of taking your own car if that is a possibility. Your car, your property, your buisness. If that is not an option then it basically comes down to whether or not you are willing to deal with the possibility of losing your job if you were to get caught. It's unfortunate that your buisness has these foolish rules, but that's basically what it comes down to.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

hhmm.. all food for thought,thanks.
    the deep concealment would be good.
    i have a belly band. wear it low so it moves less.
    place it where its comfy and go with it.
    in ohio it has to be visible in car so me being passenger i could do it and he'd most likely never know it, wearing strong side.
    taking my vehicle is not an option.
    if the company found out i'd prolly be reprimanded. if the client found it....well, fired probably.
    gotta keep mulling this over.
    i got today and sunday to figger out my best options.i would carry my snub in the belly band with a bulkier shirt and i bet i'd be ok anywhere.
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I vote with Chris: I am not going to go for several consecutive days without my piece.

I never violate a legal no-carry zone, but company rules are different if they force me to not carry during periods of the day when I am not on company property.

I stopped reading your post at " He would be Ok with it" Never, let someone like that (at work) know you carry. I would drive my own vehicle and leave it at that.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Another option...a good knife and spray...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

O.C. spray...where to buy it now?

bluelion,
    a good alternative i could never be "dinged " for spray and a good knife.
    i have the knife, & spray..well i've been looking for an excuse...hhmmm thats why i love this forum....a wide variety of thought/ideas and fortunately this month i am currently running on a + of cash flow...

maybe a trip to dicks...wal mart... where to buy OC spray in one days notice.?
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links