First day out. Not a Wal-Mart run.

This is a discussion on First day out. Not a Wal-Mart run. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I had my first day out today carrying. I didn't go to Wal-Mart (so I couldn't use my Bingo card), but I went to ...

Thread: First day out. Not a Wal-Mart run.

Well, I had my first day out today carrying. I didn't go to Wal-Mart (so I couldn't use my Bingo card), but I went to a cousin's birthday party, and after that went to the grocery store, and the drug store.

I decided on pocket carry for my LCP. I have an okay pocket holster (Ace Case -- a bit on the thick side) that I decided to put in my strong side front pocket which is my left hand side. Only one problem, for my whole life, my keys and change purse have been in my left front pocket. I have moved those to my right pocket, but keep finding myself reaching into my left front, bumping the grip of the gun then reaching into the other pocket for my keys.

I am also carrying a double magazine holder in my weak side back pocket.

I didn't have any feelings of "paranoia", it felt very natural to me. After all, I'm legal. The weight of the LCP balances the weight of my keys and change and so makes me feel even more balanced than I did before.

Since I can't carry at work (building is posted), I am waiting for my Secure-It(tm) locking handgun box which I intend to secure in the trunk of my car. Until it arrives, I just won't carry to work and back.

Thanks for all of the information contained here in the forums. It has been invaluable in my decision to pursue unrestricted carry and acquire useful (and required) training.

This is not a destination, but the beginning of a journey.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sounds like a great first day out. I wonder how long it will for you to start reaching for keys on the right?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your first day out.

I think that most people think in advance about the big changes in dress and lifestyle they are going to make when they choose to carry. What trips up a lot of people is the little detail things like where do I put my wallet or phone now?

Good luck and stay safe out there.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Congrats on your 1st day. I (like many others, I'd suspect) had to change my habits of carrying certain things, like wallet, keys, etc. You'll eventually get used to it and develop some muscle memory. Stay safe!
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Everybody has a 'first day' and we all know the various feelings...soon you will almost forget that you have a firearm on your side.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

cmb
    great job! yep it is a comfort knowing you aren't helpless should the worst occur... it takes a while, i carried my wallet in front rh pocket for years and now it is either in the left or a cargo pocket... i carry my xtra mag in front left or back left also... try the desantis holster for front pocket, they're real nice and they make one that carries an extra mag, though it is in you same pocket. There are some good leather ones out there. I actually made my own pocket holster from some leather scraps, it adds less than 1/8 of an inch to the width.

Have fun and be safe on your journey!

Sponsored Links