LEO Encounter today,not so good

This is a discussion on LEO Encounter today,not so good within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well a strange thing happened to me today as i had my first ever LEO encounter while carrying for the first time. I've been carrying ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO Encounter today,not so good

LEO Encounter today,not so good

Well a strange thing happened to me today as i had my first ever LEO encounter while carrying for the first time. I've been carrying for ten years now between FL and my previous state of residence MA. So I'm driving along and out of nowhere comes a local LEO cruiser,he follows me for a few miles then hits his lights so I pull over of course. Now I say to myself what could this be about? I wasn't speeding and was wearing my seat belt,I soon found out.

So the officer comes up and asks me for my license and stuff I comply he says to me "I'm pulling you over because you have a tail light thats not working" I figure okay nothing serious. He goes back to his cruiser comes back in a very different mood and asks me to turn off the engine and to exit the vehicle which I proceed to do. This is where it gets ugly in fact downright scary.

The officer ask if I have any weapons on me to which I reply "Sir I have a concealed weapons permit,there is a pistol inside the car's center console". The LEO says "is it loaded?" I reply "yes sir its loaded" he then asked what kind of gun it was(I told him a snub nosed revolver) and he tells me hes going to retrieve it. The officer then takes my holstered Colt cobra,walks back to his cruiser and tosses it into the front seat,he seemed very irate the whole time he was going about doing this.

He then proceeds to ask me to put me hands behind my back and cuffs me,then he reaches into my pocket gets my wallet and starts going through it till he finds my carry permit. He then walks me to his cruiser and puts me in the back seat and closes the door. Now he gets into the cruiser and says to me "this permit isn't valid the address doesn't match your drivers license".

Now I try to explain in a very calm polite manner that it is in fact valid and that dept. of agriculture was informed in writing of my new address(the address on my DL) per Florida law. He says "nope its not valid and you have a problem" he then goes on to ask me why am I driving around with a loaded gun in my car, for what reason? He was very rude and such about the whole thing.

Now another LEO comes on the scene and hes a bit more level headed. The first LEO asks me again why I have a gun I reply "I have a right to carry it for protection" he snapped "protection from what?"
    I finally say "officer I've complied with your requests and would like to go as I've done nothing illegal" He just shoots me a dirty look and exits the cruiser,and begins talking to the other LEO.

LEO #1 pops back in and grabs the holstered Colt cobra,unholsters it and opens the cylinder,he says to me "wheres the serial number on this thing?" I tell him where to look he says he can't find it. So I tell him the gun's serial number,I know it as its an easy number to remember. So after about 30 minutes LEO #1 says to LEO #2 I'm gonna take him in on carrying a concealed weapon. LEO #2 says to him "you can't do that he has a permit to carry a concealed firearm on his person".

LEO #2 takes my permit from LEO #1 and calls the permit number in and says "see its valid". LEO #1 takes me out of the back seat then uncuffs me. He takes my gun opens my car's trunk and puts it in there,he then asks for consent to search my car to which I decline him. At this point he is very upset and its very obvious,I said " look I've done nothing wrong and I don't want to be violated like this"

LEO #1 reiterates in an authoritative loud tone "why you carrying a gun?" I said,again respectfully and politely "its my right to carry it for protection,I'm within the law" "I don't have to explain why I have a loaded gun on me". At this point LEO #2 pulls him aside they talk for a bit and LEO #1 gives me my DL and carry permit and tells me I can go. I have to say this is very disturbing that in a state like Florida where its common for law abiding people to have carry permits,that I would be treated in such a manner. I never got treated like that while carrying and interacting with a LEO back in Boston.

Now let me be clear I'm in no way bashing this LEO,or LEO's in general this guy may have just been having a bad day hes human to. After LEO #1 left LEO #2 told me they had an incident where a week before an officer was stabbed at a traffic stop. I'm not mad at the officer maybe he was concerned for his safety. However I thought I was very polite and honest I didn't lie to either of the officers and divulged the gun when asked,in your opinions did I handle myself correctly?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

he was totally unproffessional and un educated based on your account - I would file a complaint. He needs some supervisor assistance.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

That warrants a call to his chief. Maybe even your congressman. No reason for that kind of behavior.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Wow. I was shaking my head the entire time I was reading your post. Very unprofessional, and as you said, somewhat surprising in Florida (i.e. the Gunshine State). Sounds like you handled it very well.
    HK45c V1

OD*
    It's sounds to me like you were very lucky LEO #2 came along when he did.

Hate to hear you had this kind of interaction your first time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'd say you handled yourself just fine.

I would definitely report this to the officer's agency - this officer definitely needs some strong feedback from his superiors.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

If you don't report this abuse, it will just happen to another one of us in the future.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I was going to file a complaint but i figured maybe the guy has a lot on his mind I don't want to get him into trouble. I'm a forgiving person by nature I was just gonna let this one go but do you guys think I should file a complaint?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

OD*
    BTW, did you have a bad tail-light?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I will have to go along with USMC3169 in that the officer was very unprofessional. I would file a complaint as well.

I believe I would get my addresses to match on both my DL and CCP ASAP.
    SCGunLover1

Mind if I ask what city you were in? I have had a few encounters in different cities with LEOs since carrying and have had almost the full spectrum of reactions.

From the officer smiling and asking about what range I use (and forgetting why they pulled me over) to guns drawn and having my friends and I exit the vehicle.

The worst reaction/experience was in Orlando right outside Disney. We went to Disney and I left my EDC in my friends house. We stopped by the house to change and as we pulled out of his neighborhood, we got rolled. The officer asked him to step out and I could hear the conversation. Officer stated he pulled us over for rolling thru a stop sign and asked if there were any weapons in the vehicle. Next thing I know is there are 3 more cruisers and a gun pointed at my ear and being ordered out. Now it freaked me out for 2 reasons... One was my friend just spurting out "he has a gun" and the reaction from the officer... After they discovered my permit they all changed their attitudes.

Some officers have a chip on their shoulders or don't really know all the regs. Hopefully if there is another encounter for you it will go smoother
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

sounds like an anti-gun cop...*sigh*

VIP Member
    Unfortunately, it was guys like him that prompted me to forego the whole LEO thing’ after less than two years in the profession. I found some of the younger graduates to be insecure and amazed with their own existence.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

LEO #1 LEO #2

i think he went to far when he put the cuffs on ya. it is none of his buisness why you carry if you have a legal permit to do so. if he did this to you because he was having a bad day then what is going to happen when he has another bad day with someone else or what would have happened if the calmer LEO hadn't showed up?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Links