North Carolina CCW Alcohol Prohibition

This is a discussion on North Carolina CCW Alcohol Prohibition within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; North Carolina Firearms Law: North Carolina law also prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina CCW Alcohol Prohibition

North Carolina Firearms Law:

North Carolina law also prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission or into any establishment where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed...A concealed handgun permit does not allow a
    permittee to carry a weapon in these areas.
    There are exemptions of course for the owner of the establishment and any security personnel employed there.

Now, I understand this to really be about "no guns in bars". Which, I don't think is a totally bad thing; bars should provide security and patrons who are drinking shouldn't be packing.

But the statute is so much broader than that.

In NC the problem with restaurants is that if they serve alcohol there I can't carry. This is a *large* number of restaurants - in Charlotte at least - not just sit down places but a lot of pizza places, delis, BBQ joints even some fast food places will sell beer.

Hardly anyone ever drinks it at the fast food places...so maybe a good lawyer would have some room to work with that "where alcoholic beverages are both served and consumed" clause.

I don't ever drink; I feel like I'm not creating any threat by CCW in a place that serves, so this is a frustrating law.

I don't know my point in posting other than that I saw the thread about Nashville "postings" and 3/4 of the restaurants in Charlotte are automatically no-carry based on the fact that they sell alcohol.

Then the fee admission part rules out almost anything else my wife and I would go to on a night out. Between this and the fact that my office is posted (making it illegal, not just company policy), it seems like I can't carry most of the time - the gun would have to stay locked in the car.

Very frustrating!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    yep. There you have it. No dinner-and-a-movie.

Panera is a great place for lunch though, and they don't serve alcohol.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Cool

And, no matter how much we would like, we can't redefine the law as written.

Lead Moderator
    prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission or into any establishment where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed...
    We were down there (NC) last week of our "annual" vacation, and after reading that part of the law it really didn't seem worth bringing a handgun, since almost everyplace other than the beach we were going prohibits carry.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

We had a chance to change that this year with S235 and H270 in the legislature. Seems both have died in committee.

Maybe next year.

Write your reps.

I was at one of those committee meetings. Vote out the liberals and both of those laws might have a chance - otherwise not so much. It was frustrating.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

The funny part is our version of castle doctrine is *very* home-owner friendly. Deadly force against an intruder based on my reasonable belief that may commit a felony in my home. They don't need a weapon, I don't have to retreat; as a human being I'd give them the option to retreat but as a NC citizen I don't believe I have to.

Since you can purchase beer at any Wal-Mart or mini-mart in NC, do I have to put my gun in my car just to enter one of these places too?
    Just remember: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Wal-Mart and mini-marts (in NC) do not sell beer or wine for consumption on premises. You are not prohibited from concealed carry there unless the store posts itself as a no carry zone. The law applies only if you pay admission to an event or facility or if wine, beer or mixed drinks are served for consumption on premises.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarryOrDie View Post
    Since you can purchase beer at any Wal-Mart or mini-mart in NC, do I have to put my gun in my car just to enter one of these places too?
    No. They have to both SELL and CONSUME ON PREMISES. I mean, they sell beer at 7-11, but it's not set up for consumption, even if some whino is out front drinking Mad Dog or whatever, you can still carry at the 7-11. (Unless, of course, it's posted.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Why can't they do like here in CO, No drinking alcohol while armed outside your home. Period.
    That leaves room for the armed designated driver in the party at the bar.
    ("I'll have another club soda.")
    I can take my family to ANY restaurant and remain my family's protector.

Golly, I hate politicians who demand they can think for me.

~Rant over.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

It's a bummer that I can't carry in places like Showmars and Pizza Hut because they serve beer. These are family restaurants. I'm drinking a tea and having the special. Kind of ridiculous. I already wrote my reps about it. Mine are supportive already.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    North Carolina Firearms Law:

There are exemptions of course for the owner of the establishment and any security personnel employed there.

Now, I understand this to really be about "no guns in bars". Which, I don't think is a totally bad thing; bars should provide security and patrons who are drinking shouldn't be packing.

But the statute is so much broader than that.

In NC the problem with restaurants is that if they serve alcohol there I can't carry. This is a *large* number of restaurants - in Charlotte at least - not just sit down places but a lot of pizza places, delis, BBQ joints even some fast food places will sell beer.

Hardly anyone ever drinks it at the fast food places...so maybe a good lawyer would have some room to work with that "where alcoholic beverages are both served and consumed" clause.

I don't ever drink; I feel like I'm not creating any threat by CCW in a place that serves, so this is a frustrating law.

I don't know my point in posting other than that I saw the thread about Nashville "postings" and 3/4 of the restaurants in Charlotte are automatically no-carry based on the fact that they sell alcohol.

Then the fee admission part rules out almost anything else my wife and I would go to on a night out. Between this and the fact that my office is posted (making it illegal, not just company policy), it seems like I can't carry most of the time - the gun would have to stay locked in the car.

Very frustrating!

so what happens if you know the bar owner and you DON'T pay the cover charge???

Ya know, NY is a PITA when it comes to the 2A, but at least we can carry in any establishment that service alcohol but if your carrying, and your drunk AND get caught, "they" will take you guns away....all of them
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

How many of the restaurants that serve alcohol were in support of killing the law in committee??? Maybe y'all should let them know that you will no longer be spending your dollars on their booze or food....sometimes you have to hit them where it hurts as well as the ballots...

Also, remember that just because an area is posted no firearms doesn't mean you can't carry. If discovered all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse it then becomes trespassing.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links