Defensive Carry banner

8 reasons why I carry

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Harryball 
#1 ·
I live in a town of ~900 souls. Nearest town over 3000 souls is 28 miles west of me. In the last 7 days there have been 8 armed robberies:comeandgetsome: within 30 miles of my home. Town of Mt. Vernon Iowa( pop. ~3000, college town 7 miles west of me) had the Pump and Pantry, Video Village robbed and laundromat broken into. Lisbon IA, (pop. ~1,000 6 miles west of me) the Dollar General store was robbed, West Liberty IA (pop. ~1500, 20 miles SW of me) bank was robbed, Cedar Rapids Iowa, (pop. ~100,000 area, 28 miles west of me) Casey General Store (like a 7-11) robbed, Motel Six robbed one shot, one pistol whipped, and another robbery I can't remember what it was. This is not considered a high threat area in eastern Iowa. We do have gangs moving in from the Chicago area 4 hours east of here. Just busted a gang banger in our town for a hit and run in CR Friday morning. Our sons friend walked in on the DG robbery. I expect the home invasions to soon increase when the risk of armed robbery gets to high. Police are doing the best they can, and most of them are good, but they can only respond, not prevent and protect. So if I walk in on a robbery, or someone attempts to rob or harm myself or the love of my life, I have to be armed to defend myself. Now when a sheep or just an interested individual asks me why I carry, I simply ask them, "Have you read the local paper lately?" Not paranoid, just reality based.

#4 ·
Proven how Sir?

The numbers of gang related crimes, and the number of gang bangers signing around here (Cedar Rapids area) has gone up according to official numbers and what local LEO have told me. Local LEO have told me that they are of the mind that most if not all of these robberies are the work of a crew of Chicago bangers. Not sure if they are newbies making their bones or what. As far as being a low threat area, that does not imply it is a no threat area. 8 robberies in a week in this area though is a several thousand percent increase in that crime. I have not heard of an increase like this in any other area of Iowa, though my deafness does not preclude the possibility that it has. Also CR has had a large increase in the number of Officers assaulted recently.:hand1::aargh4: One officer has been severely injured and reduced greatly in mental age. Had too relearn speech and walking. Young officer with a wife and kids who worried and love him. Their worse nightmare has come true. Thank God for the good dedicated officers who truly risk life and limb to provide us the best security that they can. :hand10::congrats:

#5 ·
An unfortunate sign of the times. Some may want to blame the economy, lost jobs, etc, but as I age it seems people are getting meaner not desperate. I truly believe it is the lack of basic respect for human life. Be armed, stay safe, and be aware. It is a shame we can no longer conduct business in certain stores at certain times of day.

#6 ·
I live in a town of ~900 souls. Town of Mt. Vernon Iowa( pop. ~3000, college town 7 miles west of me) had the Pump and Pantry, Video Village robbed and laundromat broken into.
Lived in Mount Vernon for the spring of 1980. Until the College, came to their senses and threw me out. Seems you have to GO to classes to pass, and not just drink and party endlessly. Loved MV. Nice little town.
:theyareontome::spankme::twak:

#7 ·
I live in what was always considered a "safe" town, but recently there has been a rash of armed robberies, B&E's and drug crimes. According to our local rag, the number of B & E's went down by 76 from last year. Yeah, right. I'd say a lot go unreported due to the fact our cops rarely investigate them. I know, we called to report that a neighbor, while moving out told me that a guy tried to get in the apartment that morning. The police never came by or responded to our call. Not knocking our police, they have been demoralized by a previous Chief but they should at least came by.

We have a lot of Detroit boys causing the drug trade to escalate, then the number of robberies and home invasions increase to get money to buy drugs.

It's a vicious cycle that affects not only large cities, but small town America as well. Not much we can do until the demand for drugs goes away, and we all know how that will play out.

#8 ·
An unfortunate sign of the times. Some may want to blame the economy, lost jobs, etc, but as I age it seems people are getting meaner not desperate. I truly believe it is the lack of basic respect for human life. Be armed, stay safe, and be aware. It is a shame we can no longer conduct business in certain stores at certain times of day.
Could not agree more! I think our society has deteriorated to the point that LEOs can hardly provide adequate response and the court systems dump out the worse back on the streets. You're left to protect and defend yourself, your business and your family. I just can't imagine not carrying in these times.....and it's just going to get worse.

#9 ·
Crime is obviously on the increase in many, if not, most places. Your small town in Iowa is just the tip of the iceberg.
It is the reason that so many people are arming themselves. The law prevents 'honest people' from making mistakes, but criminals have no regard for laws.
We are in an escalating battle...and it's going to get much worse...hang on and prepare for the ride.

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!

#10 ·
We're heading for desperate times, and desperate people will do desperate things. Plan and prepare now. Only a few missed meals sepatate us from total arnachy.

#11 ·
God I hope not, but fear you might be right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.