Wanna pick our fine PD press release apart?

This is a discussion on Wanna pick our fine PD press release apart? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CUPD: Man arrested on firearms charge Clemson University police arrested a man Saturday night when they found weapons in his car on campus. Jeremy Wayne ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CUPD: Man arrested on firearms charge

Clemson University police arrested a man Saturday night when they found weapons in his car on campus.

Jeremy Wayne Watson, 32, of Central was charged with carrying a firearm on university property. He is not a student or university employee.

Police found an AK-47 and a handgun in Watson’s car, which was parked on Klugh Avenue a block from the stadium.

Watson also was charged with public disorderly conduct and unlawful carrying of a pistol.

He was released on $6,262.50 bond.

Rewrite:

Drunk and Disorderly man arrested on Campus. Found to be illegally carrying a pistol and a search of his car also turned up a Rifle as well.

Bla bla bla...

If he had not been disorderly we wouldn't have even known to even look. And had he been planning an attack he would have been well into it before our two or three officers could have even gotten anywhere close to the scene.

Well lets just say the pistol was legal. He was drunk. Not to mention on campus. Oh and the AK in his vehicle when he probably wasnt going to the range at that moment was a bad call on him. VERY good call on CUPD.

As for the bail....I have no comment.

Your right, things like this can sneak up on LE. He could have done a lot of damage. I am thinking he wasnt planning to do anything involving a master plan since he was drunk. Though he could have been pissed off and drunk and thinking about doing something. So many different options here. Maybe he shouldnt have been released so quickly.
    Just remember: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

The pistol, in our state, would be illegal if it was on him or in his car without him having a CWP. If he had a CWP he could have legally had the Pistol in the car. The AK in the Car well... it was a public parking along Kluge avenue where they describe it being. Its debatable they could have hung him with anything as the definition of "on premises comes into play. Probably would not be charged or at least it would probably be dismissed if so. The parking area he was in is just along a state highway. And it is open to the public and not gated. It is a Public State institution.

Apparently, from the charges, he did not present the Pistol in any way. He was not charged with anything but carrying it. Which, in SC is illegal unless he as traveling the road and pulled over onto Kluge avenue (very possible). Again... the road is public and it is not "on premises" of the University. If they pulls someone over there, and they have it legally in the car or on them with a CWP, it is not illegal. Its not on the premises its on a public road.

He was disorderly. When was he disorderly? Was he drunk? I said that because I could figure no other explanation at that time... However tomorrow I will find out exactly what went down... but... No charge for that. Was he disorderly because they stopped him? I dunno... but his primarly charge was disorderly and no mention of him having a CWP.

Now... it needs to be known that this same PD Chief has come out publicly against Concealed carry on campus and takes the stand that they can protect us. And since Virginia Tech we have added not one single extra officer. In fact, today we have less officers on campus at any one time than we did then. At times we have two..... yes two patrolmen on campus protecting over 30,000 people...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Police found an AK-47 and a handgun in Watson’s car, which was parked on Klugh Avenue a block from the stadium.
    Does the university own the street?? If not what is the problem?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Exactly!

Some info missing i guess.
    Was he pulled over in his car, or was he walking about drunk?

If he was walking about, i doubt they had cause to search his car unless he gave consent.

I dont know that state's laws, but in Texas, "premises" means buildings only.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

I'll find out and report more as soon as I can get in touch with one of the officers that was on duty today. It will be interesting to fill in the holes. I will certainly report what I do find out as soon as I know.

Premises is, pretty much, buildings here too, but it can go into areas not open to the general public if you push it all far enough. Becomes kind of muddy there though.

I can tell you that our PD wants to insist it is the entire campus even roads. However thats a hard sell. But they will attempt to enforce it in parking lots I do know that. I doubt they have made any of those stick. They do and can kick kids out of school though. Not really a legal action but a punitive one.

Debatable if they own the street or not. The state owns everything really. They always clash over who can do modifications and where between the university and DOT so it is alway sort of a grey area. All public roads really. Klugh avenue is a side street off of Perimeter which also maintains a State road number and then connects to a State Highway that runs right through campus. So it is a main street not an alley or minor service road or something like that. Completely open to traffic 24/7 with public parking along and beside it too. They all are State owned really.

I will say this, if it is some drunk who would be disorderly with firearms around campus I am GLAD he is no longer doing such and may not be able to have guns anymore.

However, they have pulled over and charged CWP holders before when the CWP holder identified (as required). They do have a few officers that are not very well aware of things like this. Normally someone there will stop it before it goes too far. But I fear with the current cut back and lack of staff something might get screwed up.

The university may actually own the street. The school I went to the maintenance on some of the roads was done by university employees. I am not sure if this was to try and keep the campus running or if they actually owned the streets.

There was a lot of info left out of the original post, which is making for great conversation and thinking from everyone.

If he was pulled over and disorderly/drunk, they have the right to search (to my knowledge thats consent). If he was walking around drunk or disorderly, the only way they would have the right to search the car is if they SEE something in plain view. Maybe the guy was dumb enough to leave a weapon on a seat w/o a permit. If he left the pistol in plain view, at that point is that considered OC in the state of SC?

I do see the point of the lack of LEO's on campus. VT is not the only campus that needs to worry, its just the only campus that has had a major incident occur. Other schools need to realize that such an event can happen anywhere. I am a strong believer in carry on campus and do not look forward to attending college for the first time (I am a little behind the power curve on education). I have heard and read many accounts of situations around America that could have been stopped short if SOMEONE had been carrying.

One of the main reason I posted it CoD...

This was exactly the press release. Its all they put out.

In which, in my opinion, they waste much time demonizing the guns while failing to tell us anything about the threat the person presented himself or how exactly he was a threat. It appears they were too bent on making the blurb scandalous rather than providing clear information.

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    The university may actually own the street. The school I went to the maintenance on some of the roads was done by university employees. I am not sure if this was to try and keep the campus running or if they actually owned the streets.
    They do.... but they are the State... it is a state school. They both do and they don't. I do know they can make little improvements without DOT oversite, review and approval. Some they can pave themselves with approval and some they cannot. This one is boardered by two that are strictly DOT run and connect two of them. So anyone pulled off the main road by an officer would likely pull onto a road like this one. As I said, they are all State roads because they are all built and maintained by state money.

It would be one of those things where a good lawyer, if your only transgression was having a firearm on one of these, you would be able to walk away from something like this for that reason is all I am saying.

Typical media. Report what will make ears go up and at full alert. Who wants to hear about a man who was arrested because he had a rifle properly stowed in the trunk of his car and happen to be pulled over on campus.

I am looking forward to any updates you can give us. I am interested to hear why he was charged with said charges.

Yep... this one I will also want to find out WHO wrote it. Will be interesting to see that too.

For their sakes I kinda hope it was a real sort of threat to some extent. That they caught and put an end too. But... that opens up the can of worms of how to keep him out if he truly had plans? And can they keep him out?

I might shed some light on the fact that I have been on Professional Staff here for almost 30 years in the safety department so... I kind of know who is who and what going on and have my own personal ideas about Faculty and Staff carry with permit as you can tell. Ones that differ from the Chief and his superiors who would prefer that violence and risks not be associated with the University least it scare the customers (Parents sending little Johnny and Janie to college). They prefer everyone think its the safest place in the world. I hope it is... I certainly want it to be. But it could be safer, just like any place else I guess.

The local news has described it as being that both guns were found in the car and not on him. I will need to confirm that is the case. They also just repeated the "disorderly conduct" comment. He is out on bond. It doesn't look like I can get anything further on it until tomorrow.

Ok... so far I have another account here that clears some things up

Supposedly someone called the PD and reported a car driving wrecklessly in that area. Police spotted a car in the area that matched the description near a ATM machine on that street. They said the man was at the ATM and "appeared" intoxicated. The pistol, now described as a Glock was found/observed in an open cubby hole of the dash. SC has a very liberal transport law but his choice was far too liberal. It must be IN a console, Glove box etc etc and can be loaded not even required to be locked. So his was not legally stowed for transport in SC. So thats where the illegal weapons charge comes from. The AK was found behind the rear seat and apparently has nothing to do with the charges. I imagine they disorderly conduct charge in leu of a Public Intoxication or DUI since he was not in the vehicle at the time but I do not have any report (yet) that he gave them any trouble. The report is that he had been at and then left a restaurant nearby and went to the ATM.

More when I know it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links