What do all you daily gym goer's do with your gun?

This is a discussion on What do all you daily gym goer's do with your gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 19 in a smart carry. I also go to the gym about 5 times per week. Its really not that I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do all you daily gym goer's do with your gun?

What do all you daily gym goer's do with your gun?

I carry a Glock 19 in a smart carry.

I also go to the gym about 5 times per week. Its really not that I feel I need to carry at my gym, or even to my gym--its very safe.

Its that i already have my gun on me that is the problem. So i have two options... Disarm in the car (which sucks sitting in the car with a glock in C1 in the smartcarry) or disarm in the locker room.

In the gym it would be locked in my locker...in the car, locked in the glove box.

I have been leaving it in the glove box to date, but i really don't like drawing sitting in the car, i feel that its a little bit too risky for an AD to be doing 5 times a week.

Another option is to get out of the car and stand while drawing and putting into the glove box, but then i am taking my gun out of concealment for a period that could be seen and cause issues at my gym--which im also not crazy about...

What do you guys do with your gun at the gym?

2. Remove Ads

COM safe in the car.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yep. Car. Though, our gym is a small, private gym with only 2 trainers and 2-3 clients in at any one time. They are supercool with carrying, but if it's hard to do during workout, they will offer to lock it up in the office. Not that it does anyone good locked in a back room if SHTF, but at least it's not stuck in my car.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

David, Thanks for the quick response...

Im not worried about the actual storage of the gun though... its really getting the gun to whichever method. I mean i dont think it would be smart to take my pants off to change and let my glock stare at people in the locker room...

And its getting the gun out of my pants safely, everyday that i am worried about in the car. When im wearing my IWB supertuck, its easy--i take it out and put it in the glove box.

The smartcarry is just kind of a tricky draw when you are sitting...

Just my 2 cents:

I would vote car as well, it's harder but in my gym I'm sure the sheeple would freak if they saw my piece and I would be talking to the manager in about 5 seconds. Take your time and put it in the glove box and lock up your car.

Plus the gym lockers are not the most secure containers in the world, your car is probably a better place.

This may sound stupid but how about using a fanny pack while you are at the gym. You could keep your weapon with you while you lift and if you do the treadmill you could just hang it on the arm rest. It would always be near you.

Just an idea.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

My weapon usually stays in my vehicle when I head to the gym. Sometimes it stays at home. I just don't see how I could effectively carry, let alone conceal, in the midst of any sort of serious workout. An off body, "keep it close by" approach *might* work I suppose, but I haven't tried. I've simply accepted that I'm going to be without my weapon at the gym.

On a related note, beware the "key boards" that so many gyms have by the door. The idea being you come in and hang your keys on a hook while you work out. I'm amazed that people think that's a good idea and are willing to use them. I have a single key that I keep on my person.

Brian

VIP Member
    I have little problem with this, but then I have a gym at home.

In your situation, I think you will just have to find some way to disarm in your vehicle or perhaps in a bathroom stall - for privacy. You could then place the weapon in your gym bag so that it is out of sight untill you can lock it up.

Good Luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I just leave mine in the truck. I carry a 1911 owb. No trouble disarming. Plus it has a 3 safeties. No chance of ND. Plus I find it easy to acess. (draw if needed)

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I usually keep mine in the gym locker.

A serious concern about doing this is that if someone sees you placing a gun in the locket, they could make a return visit to that locker to relieve you of it.

So I usually pick a corner locker that allows me to unclip a holster strong-side to the wall, and wad up my boxer shorts and put my gun under it, then put the whole thing in the back of the shelf in the locker. I figure it helps prevent the gun from being seen as I put it into the locker, and anyone breaking in may not root through my underwear when my pants still have their contents in plain sight.

As long as you have good trigger finger discipline you shouldn't have a problem with ND. Not I said ND and not AD. I'd disarm in the car. I have to disarm all the time because of work and I haven't had one yet! I carry an XD which only has one more safety than a GLOCK. Just be focused when disarming and you should be fine.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I guess my answer is that it depends.

I vote gym bag with sewn in holster.

You said you had concerns about disarming in the car. Well then don't. If you are going straight to the gym, unholster before you get in the car (and keep your weapon near you). Weapon can then go in the glovebox or in the gym bag that is sitting in the passenger seat.

If you have to do some running around town then stay concealed while out and about and when you get to the gym take the 'ol "tactical" gym bag in the toilet stall and slip the weapon into the gym bag holster. Gym bag goes in locker. Carry your own lock to put on the locker.

I don't like gym lockers at all but the gym I used to go to backed up to a questionable neighborhood and I tended to go to the gym rather late. So while I think my glovebox might be more secure, the locker is closer and lets me carry to/from the car.

Thanks to all for your responses.

I'm gonna unpack in the car and lock it in the box like i've been doing...

Unless I'm making bank drops, etc. I always have mine in a gym bag that rides in the passenger seat. It has stuff in it and it's always in the middle where a short zip open can get to it, or leave open & slightly folded over cover...or a magazine over it. My hand is normally about a foot from it on the arm-rest at all times. Ok, if your carrying and want to leave it in the car. Make sure NOBODY is watching and deholster it, put in gym bag. Open trunk and set gym bag inside as you appear to only be checking inside the bag for something, set it inside the trunk & lock. Most cars broken into they "always" look in console for money, under seat for gun and in the glove box. The glove box is first place any identity theif, P.I. or cop will look "first" so it's the worst place to hide your gun. Nobody hardly ever looks in the trunk. Same thing in reverse...open trunk (after a good look around) and set bag inside, put gun in bag. Another look for muggers/bad guys as you unlock and scoot in with it on your lap, locking the door quickly & set it on passenger's seat. Putting it back IWB is a real "B" if you don't have a good
    reinforced mouth holster that you can slip it back into. Sometimes I just jam it
    between the two split seats and cover it with my ball cap until I can get to better re-holster location...and it's never far from me. People that really need to carry at the gum should get a North American Arms .22 in stainless and hang the the thing around their neck...under their t-shirt on a dog chain style chain (something you can break if you have to grab it from underneath and pull). This would also work with the new Ruger .32 pistol, but I wouldn't carry it chambered as if snagged on something, it could discharge and since no lanyard hole, you most likely will have it necklaced by the trigger guard! If you're a woman? Uh...humm...sportsbra, small stainless N. American Arms pistol will disappear. Also note: they make a shorty version of NAA...but it's so short, you have to make sure you got your fingers tucked before firing otherwise you might take off the end of a digit! And if walking track...pepper spray is sometimes overated. Hispanics and dark skinned people are sometimes immune to it! Ever consider carrying a can of wasp & hornet spray? Ortho is accurate to about 25ft and will drop a bumble bee in flight. Have heard of an incident where elderly crippled lady was broken in on and grabbed this, hosing the guy. He will be easy to find- the one that's gagging and acting like a nut- case nearby. It only cost about $3.50 per can and politicians haven't banned it yet. Concealment is not hard if you practice it regularly. Depends on dimensions of the gun. A slabsided .45 can be carried in a folded newspaper. You can also take a shoestring (holster) and tie it, making a loop, pull one end under your belt and up, forming two loops, that you put it thru and into wasteband. Works rather well and don't fall out-makes it disappear. They make pocket clips for some guns. The Kel-Tek P11 9mm is another that's almost invisible. Older guys prefer the Ruger SP101 .357 as it doesn't print in a pocket of most any jeans or pants/jacket. Just buy 1 size large so they don't tighten up around it. I had a .25acp that carried forever. It was stainless so little maintainance. Always polish the feed ramps & chamber of little pistols to prevent jams! Shooting the Hornady XTP rounds, it has stopping power of a .38 round. If you use a .22, just get some CCI Stingers for it. Practice makes things smoother. Happy shooting.

Yeah, without knowing your schedule I'd suggest having it already in the glovebox for the drive or leaving it at home. Alternatively, perhaps a cheap clip on IWB holster that can get you to and from, and makes for easy removal. While I usually don't carry in the gym, if I'm carrying my keltec P3AT in a soft uncle mikes IWB, I've forgotten about it and worked out with it. So light it stays in place even when running. But if I'm going from home I either leave it or put it in the glovebox before I ever leave the house.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links