Do you think states should honor other states' concealed carry permits? - Page 3

Do you think states should honor other states' concealed carry permits?

This is a discussion on Do you think states should honor other states' concealed carry permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Criminals can't go into a store and purchase a gun legally the only alternative is getting one off the street illegally and then they carry ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Criminals can't go into a store and purchase a gun legally the only alternative is getting one off the street illegally and then they carry it.. The only choice a law abiding citizen has is to go through any legal means that are required to be able to buy a gun. The constitution doesn't give legal requirements to owning a gun. Once legal requirements are met and they purchase a gun they should be able to carry it. That's what I was trying to say.

Do you think states should honor other states' concealed carry permits?

Yes 94%
    No 6%

Total: 3443 votes
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

14th amendment section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Personally, I would prefer this to be done by the states vs the federal government. I would love to see all states honor CCWs but federal intervention is just further erosion of the rights of the states. The feds could just as easily attach some legislation to an important bill to make it illegal to transport a firearm across state lines, thus ending all reciprocity. Federal involvement is dangerous.
    NRA life member.

Smile

No one on this site is against the reciprocity issue as some of you have eluded to. All of us agree that there should be reciprocity country wide, but this is a state issue not a federal issue. This process, while it looks wonderful on the surface, will open the door to more federal regulation, be it by registration, or whatever other means is brought on in the future. Beward of the wolf in sheeps clothing!!

Armydad

Not to step on the sovereignty of states, but I feel that they should all reciprocate. It would be much more simple than to have to find out what each state allows when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Poll is gone...
    Voted! Poll still 94%=YES and 6% NO
    Try this link! It will take you directly to the "POLL"

ABC 13 | All Polls

Would be nice if the "states" could resolve this issue amongst themselves, but many still don't get it! We concealed permit holders are law abiding citizens and should not have "travel restrictions" placed upon us just because we believe in the right to keep and bear arms and the right to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

The idiot senior senator from NY feels that CCW holders from other states just aren't "qualified " to have a firearm in NY. I wish we could get him voted out, but politics here revolve around the New York city vote. Reciprocal carry arrangements on a national scale would be great, think of what you could save on non-resident licenses!

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Moga & Cycler, 2 separate issues. This poll is a "what if" hypathetical (sp?) state-level scenario where all states recognize & honor a CCL /CHL from any other state, ie. a driver's license or a conventional marriage license (don't turn this into a "same-sex marriage" forum).

The other is talk about a federal-issued CCL/CHL, totally managed by the feds, that would be universal among all 50 states. This is the one that many 2A proponents are leary of, wanting the feds to stay out of it & keeping control at the state-level.
    That IS my point.

Are any of you guys following the debate in the Senate? It is being discussed NOW. There is streaming video from C-SPAN 2.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Yes, it should be as valid as having my driver's license recognized in all 50 plus DC.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

If they accept your state's driver's licenses (not constitutionally protected) then they should accept your state's CCL. Unfortunately we were 2 votes short THIS TIME.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Rats

Come on guys. This has been done to death and frankly I'm tired of hearing how everyone wants "x" and doesn't give a crap that it violates the Constitution. While I won't even go into incorporation (which is wrong), 2A is NOT incorporated. The 2nd Amendment protects your rights to own and carry. This much HAS been decided by SCOTUS. However, it only applies to Congress, not the States.

This law would be unconstitutional but you are free to work on your individual AG's to get HIM or her to get reciprocity for your state with the others. You guys will post all day to the forum but have you wrote your AG?

I would support a national wide compact amongst the states LIKE the driver's license but I can't support a Federal law to force states to accept other states license when the requirements are not similiar (unlike driver licenses).
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Not Disturbed

It's a constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms, but the states can legally impose restrictions on carrying concealed, hence the rules and regs associated with a CCW. I don't want the Fed telling states they have to accept reciprocity, because that sets the precedent for the Fed telling the states they have to follow Washington's rules for licensing, etc. It's the camel's nose. I know its well-intended, but not a good idea.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links