Why do you carry?

Why do you carry?

This is a discussion on Why do you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering..I know we all carry for defense purposes and what not, but does anyone have a particular reason why you carry? Like maybe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do you carry?

I was wondering..I know we all carry for defense purposes and what not, but does anyone have a particular reason why you carry? Like maybe something that happened in the past, or something like that?

I decided to purchase a gun and start to carry ever since I got married. Although I did buy a gun when I lived with my ex, but I sold it when we broke up. It is more for them then it is me. I need to keep my family safe. I have been very aware of my surroundings ever since me and three friends got jumped by 10 guys just for the hell of it. Broke my nose, that was it. That's not why I carry, but it did make me open my eyes a bit. Now I carry so some scumbug doesn't take my wallet and go home to wife and find her alone...

Anybody have reasons why they carry?

My initial interest in guns began in a hotel room in Kentucky, 2005. After hurricane Katrina, I went to Kentucky to work a job. I brought My wife and young daughter. Someone tried to break into our room. Luckily he ran away. It's better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Stay Safe...

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carry in order to defend myself and my family. That's basically it. But someone posted something on this board not too long ago, and I saved it because I really liked it. So I will repost it here:

Why I carry a gun

I don’t carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
    I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
    I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
    I don’t carry a gun because my sex organs are too small. I carry a gun because I want to continue to use those sex organs for the purpose for which they were intended for a good long time to come.
    I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
    I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
    I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
    I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Since you asked...

I never felt the need or even considered owning or carrying weapons for self-defense to protect my loved ones, or to protect my property. It just wasn't necessary. The odds of something "bad" happening were next to zero.

Those days are gone forever.

I was born and lived most of my life in "what used to be". We didn't lock our house. We walked anywhere we wanted without any concern for our safety. Our children went out to play or to school without concern of kidnapping or sexual molestation.

Now things have changed — for the worse. More people break laws per capita then ever before in my lifetime. Prisons are overflowing, and those are just the ones who were caught, convicted, and sentenced to prison. All the others are still out there — a real danger to us all.

The change has been swift — in about two generations (less than forty years) words and deeds such as: manners, honesty, loyalty, compassion, empathy, are rarely uttered and even more rarely demonstrated.

Growing numbers of people today think it is normal to lie, to cheat, to steal, to harm, or do anything to get what they want.

In the recent past, even the most experienced, hardened criminal would in some manner, measure the rewards to the action.

A purse-snatcher (small reward) would be grab and run (small action). An armored car holdup (large potential reward) may involve shooting (large action). This is not to be condoned but it makes some sort of (albeit twisted) sense.

Today, even an inexperienced teenager can be a hardened criminal — a criminal who will act without any measure of reward to action. Teenagers recently have killed for a pair of shoes or a coat they wanted, or even just for the "fun" of it.

Killing other people for "fun"? This never would have happened just a few decades ago. Today there is little to no consideration for others — no empathy, no compassion, no love, no questioning of right and wrong, no "putting yourself in the other person's shoes", no caring.

In the past there were break-ins and burglaries, but there was no threat of "home invasion" as we know it today. Most criminals in the past were looking to 'score big' with as little hassle as possible. Home break-ins were usually done at night while hopefully everyone was asleep or if during the day, when the house was unoccupied. They wanted no trouble — all they wanted was the 'loot'.

Today a gang will bust through your door in broad daylight and kill or maim anyone in their way without any concern for life, limb, or property (including their own); — all for a DVD or a TV, or even just for kicks.

(There are many things in our society that have contributed to this drastic downhill change. Those I won't go into here — it would be another lengthy discussion.)

This recent decline in general public safety is the reason that I am now, for the first time in over seventy years, taking measures to protect my loved ones, my possessions, and myself. It is a shame that I have been able to live in relative peace and without concern for so many years, but now at this juncture, feel the need to take measures into my own hands.

My aids in this are home security devices that include but are not limited to locks and alarms, and defense devices such as chemical and edged weapons, and firearms. I once considered these things ridiculous, now I consider them a necessity.

I now carry weapons 24/7, and I do mean almost literally "24/7". Showering and doing certain other things that limit carrying certainly occur. Even so, the weapons I can't actually carry during certain situations are always within arm's reach. This means I am armed in some way or in many ways at ALL times.

I don't believe I have become paranoid in my old age. I just know from own observations how dangerous this world has become — and it is getting more dangerous by the day.

What a shame on us as human beings!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Since you asked...

I never felt the need or even considered owning or carrying weapons for self-defense to protect my loved ones, or to protect my property. It just wasn't necessary. The odds of something "bad" happening were next to zero.

Those days are gone forever.

I was born and lived most of my life in "what used to be". We didn't lock our house. We walked anywhere we wanted without any concern for our safety. Our children went out to play or to school without concern of kidnapping or sexual molestation.

Now things have changed — for the worse. More people break laws per capita then ever before in my lifetime. Prisons are overflowing, and those are just the ones who were caught, convicted, and sentenced to prison. All the others are still out there — a real danger to us all.

The change has been swift — in about two generations (less than forty years) words and deeds such as: manners, honesty, loyalty, compassion, empathy, are rarely uttered and even more rarely demonstrated.

Growing numbers of people today think it is normal to lie, to cheat, to steal, to harm, or do anything to get what they want.

In the recent past, even the most experienced, hardened criminal would in some manner, measure the rewards to the action.

A purse-snatcher (small reward) would be grab and run (small action). An armored car holdup (large potential reward) may involve shooting (large action). This is not to be condoned but it makes some sort of (albeit twisted) sense.

Today, even an inexperienced teenager can be a hardened criminal — a criminal who will act without any measure of reward to action. Teenagers recently have killed for a pair of shoes or a coat they wanted, or even just for the "fun" of it.

Killing other people for "fun"? This never would have happened just a few decades ago. Today there is little to no consideration for others — no empathy, no compassion, no love, no questioning of right and wrong, no "putting yourself in the other person's shoes", no caring.

In the past there were break-ins and burglaries, but there was no threat of "home invasion" as we know it today. Most criminals in the past were looking to 'score big' with as little hassle as possible. Home break-ins were usually done at night while hopefully everyone was asleep or if during the day, when the house was unoccupied. They wanted no trouble — all they wanted was the 'loot'.

Today a gang will bust through your door in broad daylight and kill or maim anyone in their way without any concern for life, limb, or property (including their own); — all for a DVD or a TV, or even just for kicks.

(There are many things in our society that have contributed to this drastic downhill change. Those I won't go into here — it would be another lengthy discussion.)

This recent decline in general public safety is the reason that I am now, for the first time in over seventy years, taking measures to protect my loved ones, my possessions, and myself. It is a shame that I have been able to live in relative peace and without concern for so many years, but now at this juncture, feel the need to take measures into my own hands.

My aids in this are home security devices that include but are not limited to locks and alarms, and defense devices such as chemical and edged weapons, and firearms. I once considered these things ridiculous, now I consider them a necessity.

I now carry weapons 24/7, and I do mean almost literally "24/7". Showering and doing certain other things that limit carrying certainly occur. Even so, the weapons I can't actually carry during certain situations are always within arm's reach. This means I am armed in some way or in many ways at ALL times.

I don't believe I have become paranoid in my old age. I just know from own observations how dangerous this world has become — and it is getting more dangerous by the day.

What a shame on us as human beings!

Bobo
    Wow, that is some response, and it couldn't be any truer. The world is crazy and only getting worse. I hate to even leave my wife alone at home. Doesn't happen very often.

I carry to defend myself and my family from those who feel that our money or material things are worth more than our lives. I carry in case I have to prove to them that they are wrong.

I just turn on the local news for a constant reminder.

VIP Member
    It wasn’t too long that I was walking with my fiancιe along a river park in my town when two male subjects confronted me. They surrounded us and demanded money. It was late in the afternoon and nobody else around. I managed to bluff my way out that situation and vowed to never again be compromised.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Cool

Bobo. I too have reached three score and ten and recently began carrying and being prepared at home. In our life times we have seen so much good, so many human achievements and such a decline in morals, compassion and pride. It's a shame after all these years, military service including Vietnam twice that now WE must change.

If I were to value life so little that I would not protect myself, then why on earth should anyone else be motivated to protect me?

I have been criminalized. I have yet to be truly victimized. I'd like to keep it that way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have never been threatened, thank God. I do know people who have been, praise God again that they have lived to tell the story. I live near cities with very high crime rates. It is my right to as well. Have never opened carried don't know if I would. There are so many uneducated people thanks to the Oprah Winfey types and the liberal news media. I don't see the point in throwing fuel where I don't have to. I don't have a problem with people who do it's their right and I give them a lot of credit for educationg the uneducated. I think this area NJ, PA east coast area'a are not ready yet. I support OC I pesonally am not ready yet.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" Thomas Jefferson

I dont CC, but I do OC because I have 2 little girls (ages 4 and 1) When I am out and about with them, I do not want to be looked upon as pray for the weak cowards everyone calls criminals. I want them to know that I will protect my children with deadly fire power, if needed, and hopefully they will move on to the next individual. I honestly would not carry everywere if it were not for the two little angles that are currently sleeping so peacfully and innnocent in there little beds. I did CC at one time (before moving to AZ) but AZ does not reconize my permit and AZ residents must have an AZ permit. But I will have it soon and will CC when I see fit, but I will still choose to open carry most of the time.

i have been taking karate for a while to protect myself. we recently adopted 2 girls(11 and 7) and i don't want to get into or have someone even close enough to get into hand to hand with them with my family with me. i want to protect them quickly and effectively and from a safe distance if i have to. that is one of the main reasons i will carry as much as i can.

the reason i started taking karate was someone pulled up next to me at a red light several years ago and got out of his car and started yelling that i cut his wife off in traffic a few miles back. his wife wasn't with him in his car or anywhere i could see while he was yelling at me so i don't know what he seen or if it was something that she just called and told him. the light changed and i just drove off and left him standing in the road yelling like an idiot.

VIP Member
    I have a whole list of reason, most of which have been stated by others in this thread already

if anyone doesn't have a specific reason, or if you want more....then schedule a ride-along with a local LE agency and see what is lurking in your community
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Wife's little sister, 18yrs old, got involved with a 36 yr old convicted child predator. I have 2 pretty little girls. Need I say more? Wife was the first to get her permit too!

Thankfully he's out of the picture, but who knows what info he might have gotten about my family before my mother-in-law tried to put him back in jail. He flew from Florida to California for a weekend with sister-in-law, who's to say he won't fly to utah unannounced for my babies?
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links