Background check question

This is a discussion on Background check question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I unfortunatley recieved a traffic ticket just before I moved back to Texas from Alaska, and I "forgot" to pay it. Having no intentions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background check question

Background check question

Well, I unfortunatley recieved a traffic ticket just before I moved back to Texas from Alaska, and I "forgot" to pay it. Having no intentions of returning to Alaska in the next decade I have continued to "forget" about it. Now I am ready to take my CCL class and I am wondering if this is going to come back and bite me. I know, I should have just been responsible and taken care of all my legal issues, but sometimes we make less than the best choice.

Anyone have any insight on how a warrant for a traffic ticket will affect my CCL screening?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    If it's "A" traffic ticket you "shouldn't" have any trouble. I had two out standing tickets that I would have paid, but I didn't have the tickets any more and couln't for the life of me remember what county or city I was in when I got ticketed (one was somewhere in IN and one was in FL) and I didn't have an issue getting either my PA or VA permit.

I have since rectified my issues and cleared all that up, but for context, I got those tickets in '03, I paid them in '09...

Honestly, I can't guarantee that TX will work the same way, but in "general" minor traffic stuff is over looked. As long as it's not a major violation, you should be OK. Either way, pay the ticket, I finally found the info on a credit report, I don't know how many background checks and reviews of my driving record were done and the info never came up...

It could be a problem. I received a speeding ticket in North Carolina about 10 years ago. They suspended my license in North Carolina and gave me a fine for the speeding ticket which I paid.
    Once the suspension was over they sent me a letter that I needed to pay an additional charge for my North Carolina driver privileges to be reinstated. Since I did not live there and was on vacation from Michigan I didn’t pay it because I don’t care if I have driving privileges in North Carolina.
    To make a long story short my Michigan driver’s license expired last year and I had to renew it. When I went to Secretary of State to renew it they wouldn’t because North Carolina put some kind of lien on my record.

Quote Originally Posted by DaWhip View Post
    Well, I unfortunatley recieved a traffic ticket just before I moved back to Texas from Alaska, and I "forgot" to pay it. Having no intentions of returning to Alaska in the next decade I have continued to "forget" about it. Now I am ready to take my CCL class and I am wondering if this is going to come back and bite me. I know, I should have just been responsible and taken care of all my legal issues, but sometimes we make less than the best choice.

Anyone have any insight on how a warrant for a traffic ticket will affect my CCL screening?
    At my old department, we arrested a guy on a warrant out of Anchorage PD, for "Failure To Appear". Imagine HIS surprise, when he got locked up, and told he would have to sit in jail, until they made arrangements to fly him back for court. Do I know for a fact he was flown to AK in cuffs? No, but then again, once he went to County, we didn't hear any more on it.

It can happen.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

You might wanta check and make sure your license hasn't been suspended without you knowing about it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have dealt with both the Department of transportation, and Local LEOs without incident, If something comes up, I guess it's a "free" trip back to AK

THanks for the replys

It sure won't help you any, but - traffic citations are usually "infractions" which fall short of misdemeanors or worse. The biggest potential problem is if a warrant has been issued for your arrest, since that may raise a big red flag in the law enforcement "system." So if you got nailed for speeding or a similar offense, I think the best thing to do is to take care of it now. Usually all the states want is your money for traffic offenses... they're not going to extradite you for an improper lane change.

Here's your chance to "do the right thing." Contact the AK authorities by phone, let 'em know you meant to take care of it before you moved, and ask what the easiest way to handle it is now that you're half a continent away. Get that squared away first, THEN apply for your CCW ticket.

I don't know about the great state of Texas, but in some states if your CCW application is rejected "for cause", that sets up a nearly-permanent rejection. So - time to take care of old business.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I know someone who was accepted to the bar with a failure to appear on a traffic violation...

Do I think it's a good idea, no. Personally I wouldn't want something like that hanging over my head either way.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    I couldn't tell from your post if you have already submitted your app or not

your chl application includes residence and business addresses for the preceding five years, this ticket will most likely come up on these checks
    also required:
    (11) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;

now whether or not they apply that to other states I don't know, but the way I understand it this subsection would apply to fines/money owed a city for tickets

only misdemeanors class A & B, and felonies will get you rejected, except if the other provision (11) above if appliable

I think it would be in your favor to disclose the info concerning your ticket on your app, if you haven't turned it in already, and contact them and pay the fines
    I very seriously doubt that Alaska will extradite for a single traffic ticket so no "free" trip for you
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It sure won't help you any, but - traffic citations are usually "infractions" which fall short of misdemeanors or worse. The biggest potential problem is if a warrant has been issued for your arrest, since that may raise a big red flag in the law enforcement "system." So if you got nailed for speeding or a similar offense, I think the best thing to do is to take care of it now. Usually all the states want is your money for traffic offenses... they're not going to extradite you for an improper lane change.

Here's your chance to "do the right thing." Contact the AK authorities by phone, let 'em know you meant to take care of it before you moved, and ask what the easiest way to handle it is now that you're half a continent away. Get that squared away first, THEN apply for your CCW ticket.

I don't know about the great state of Texas, but in some states if your CCW application is rejected "for cause", that sets up a nearly-permanent rejection. So - time to take care of old business.
    This was exactly what I thought. Probably won't come up, but if it does, I'm in deep. Suppose it is time t take care of buisness.

This was exactly what I thought. Probably won't come up, but if it does, I'm in deep. Suppose it is time t take care of buisness.
    Murphy also dictates that IF there is a warrant for FTA on the ticket (not the ticket itself, mind you), then it won't be discovered until the worst possible time. Like when you break down at 0200, or are on the way to see Grandmom in the hospital. You know, those times when you jinx yourself by saying "I hope nothing goes wrong right now..."

And the Universe snaps it's head around, and says "Oh, Yes, You again..."

Better to handle in on your time schedule, than someone else's.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

My little brother's CCW permit was put on hold until he rectified a parking ticket he had received over a year ago in Utah. We live in AZ. It might come up.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have always played it this way, you screw up you pay up. That's how we learn, that's the way I was brought up. Lesson learned.

Here in Missouri It kept me from getting mine.....
    I went the sheriffs office to pick up my ccw when i was advised that i had a warrant for my arrest, when i asked what was it for i was told that i had an unpaid parking ticket and a warrant was issued, i then asked when was this....... 1996 .. I said you got to be kidding, i was then told no, and that i could go and get it resolved and bring the receipt back and they would clear it.. a warrant for 13 years, i even bought a gun in june, and nothing was said.

so i went to the city that issued it turned myself in...... paid the fine (which this is another story) got my receipt went back to the sheriffs office and got my permit.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Well, I unfortunatley recieved a traffic ticket just before I moved back to Texas from Alaska, and I "forgot" to pay it. Having no intentions of returning to Alaska in the next decade I have continued to "forget" about it.
    This is always a dumb thing to do. You never know when it will come back and bite you in the butt.

In some situations, it could be construed as a defect in your character. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links