Convince my wife to protect herself while I'm TDY

This is a discussion on Convince my wife to protect herself while I'm TDY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, my wife has no issues with me carrying or guns in the house. A little history to begin with. Our house was broken ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince my wife to protect herself while I'm TDY

Convince my wife to protect herself while I'm TDY

First off, my wife has no issues with me carrying or guns in the house. A little history to begin with. Our house was broken into while we were at work about a year ago (nice neighborhood, the guy was caught w/one of my guns in a stolen car, meth addict/dealer). 3 days ago there was an attempt to break into my garage but they couldn't get the door to beak off the rollers. The garage is separated from the house so my wife never heard it. Did I mention that I'm TDY about 6 hours away for the next 6 weeks. I usually have a Mossberg 500 next to the bed and put it in the safe when I wake up. On my way back home last weekend I bought her a 4oz can of Sabre Perrer Spray Foam for her.
    She tells me "I'm just going to put it in the safe with your guns, we have the alarm, remember."
    Me: "that just means its going to call the police to find your dead body"
    Wife: "if they break in,its just a meth head that's looking for something to steal. The alarm will scare them off"
    Me:" Are you willing to bet your life on it, what about the girls?" (we have 2 girls, 2 and 4)
    Her:"You're paranoid"
    How do I convince her that if she is home and our house is broken into,that she is in for a rude awakening.
    I would appreciate any stats and sources if anyone has those handy.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

excuse my ignorance... what is TDY... i'm assuming that it means you're out of town for business?
    Glock 26 edc in Crossbreed Supertuck or SmartCarry when the situation calls for it
    S&W 442 every now and then when i feel like it in a mika pocket round
    Kel Tec p3at Desantis Nemesis / Tagua IWB Clip
    Mossberg 500 for home defense

Sorry about the acronym. Temporary Duty, military speak for "we are sending you away for training. Sidenote-getting requalified in the A-10, WOOHOO.

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    Sorry about the acronym. Temporary Duty, military speak for "we are sending you away for training. Sidenote-getting requalified in the A-10, WOOHOO.
    You lucky *******! (Job) You unlucky ******* (your wife's ignorance)

Whoa, don't "bring the rain" down on me, I'm not dissin' your wife.

If a sucessful break-in (I know he was caught, but your family was still violated) and an unsucessful attempt, that she was oblivious to for whatever reason, aren't enough for her to even keep the pepper spray handy I don't know what else you can do.

You already brought up her safety, the safety of your children, the ability of the police to take a report, and the sheer unpredictability of todays criminals (they aren't the good ol' boys they used to be).

I don't know of any statistics but I'm sure she doesn't want to be one. 1 out of a brazillion is 2 too many when it's your wife or child surrounded by chalk.

Talk to her dude!

Also refer to "the armed citizen" section in the front of your monthly American Rifleman magazine. If you don't have one-JOIN THE NRA NOW.

I hope you can get through to her, a firearm should be relatively easy to keep out of reach of a 4 year old, go through the house and look at your stashing options (do this with her, so you can both see the pros and cons).

Joker1

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    It sounds like your wife is in serious denial. You might find some documentation which shows that meth heads have also raped, murdered, assaulted and even kidnapped their victims. I'm really surprised your wife isn't more concerned considering you have children and that you have already been a crime statistic.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    first, thank you for your service, A-10....nice ride, next howdy from just up Hwy 287

now, tell your wife that people have already broken in successfully once and stole a GUN, this means they won't care if she's home or not, if she is home and they come in on her they will most likely attack her, if not to rape her then to knock her head off, beat her senseless/kill her...then there's the girls....if they bust in and take her out/over power her....who protects the girls.....have your wife close her eyes and picture her girls being kidnapped and thrown in the back of a car and hauled away from your house all because she wanted to depend on an alarm system to make a hero respond in five minutes, remember alarms can be disabled (easy to cut wires, and even if its wireless there is still the response time and hopefully an officer is available, believe me I know how it works....I'm a cop). I would have a gun on me the whole time just to avoid my 4 year old being kidnapped, raped and body dumped somewhere....yes it happens....there are dirtbags like that around Wichita Falls.

You've provided the tools, she knows the house has been hit once and tried another time. Its now time for her to use those tools not for you, and not just for her, but for the kids. Tell her there will be no harm in her keeping the shotgun/OC handy with her in the house, so why not do it. Its not that much trouble. When you get back all is well.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

She's in denial. Nothing that you can do will change that. She has to be seriously scared for her to change. You can keep the guns loaded and ready for her access, but you won't change her mind. Hopefully nothing will happen to her. Congrats on the A10. That would be a REALLY FUN plane to fly!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    My first guess here is she knows very little about guns and therefore she is uncomfortable handling them. Get her some training. Sometimes husbands training there wifes..........not so good. Try to send her to some gun classes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Retired Army as an O-5 in '05 with 24 years. Had quarters in Germany where I could look out the living room window and see A-10s of Det 2, 81st TFW taking off & landing all the time (they rotated TDY from England). My wife & I will never forget that distinctive whine of the A-10 engine. And I was glad to know they would be killing Soviet tanks by the hundreds if it ever came to that! My thanks from everybody in the ground forces to you & yours!!!!

I feel for you on the wife/home defense/TDY thing, believe me. After 7 years in rural Germany with *zero* threat of crime, we went to Houston in 1990. . .and yours truly went TDY 9 weeks to Fort Leavenworth. 6 weeks into it, I learned my pregnant wife, all alone in Houston, couldn't sleep & was worn out, as the prevalence of "kick robberies" (violent home invasions) had her on edge. I asked if she had her Detective Special loaded and ready, and her answer was. . ."No. That would make me worry, because then I would be acknowledging that something might really happen."

Folks, what can I say? A "Mars-Venus moment"???? The good news is, over time she finally got to the point where she accepts having a loaded gun by her bedside (as well as on my side, of course), and she even shoots hers (quite well, actually) once in a blue moon. She's not afraid to shoot if it ever comes to that, but still pretty much assumes it will never happen & that I'm a bit paranoid about it all. She admits, however, that she's glad I have prepared for it, especially after seeing what happened in Louisiana after KATRINA, RITA, GUSTAV and IKE over the last few years. (Summary: "New Orleans thugs come to the small towns.")

So, the good news is your wife may come around on this issue. In the meantime, maybe you can get her to agree to keep the spray handy just as a "favor" to you. Sorry I can't offer stats you need, but she needs to accept that the meth-head burglars might decide they don't want to leave witnesses. Or, that people like them often commit crimes of opportunity. The intent was burglary, but now that they've encountered a woman in the house. . . .

We feel for you. Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Thank you for your service.

Now grab your wife and take her to meet up with the local Chief of Police and talk to him about the latest stats on stuff like that in your area. Then have her hang out with you in the ER for a few hours. Sometimes -- I hate to say it, but it's true -- we ladies just don't want to hear it from you guys. But, we can be effectively scared into snapping out of our ignorance.

I dunno, but it's worth a shot.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

Now grab your wife and take her to meet up with the local Chief of Police and talk to him about the latest stats on stuff like that in your area. Then have her hang out with you in the ER for a few hours. Sometimes -- I hate to say it, but it's true -- we ladies just don't want to hear it from you guys. But, we can be effectively scared into snapping out of our ignorance.

That's a pretty good idea Bunny!

Good luck, bro. I just got back from 2 mos at Kadena and left my wife and 2 yr old back here at Langley. My wife had continuous access to my 239, but has never shot it. She says she would feel comfortable with a shotgun, but I think she'd like the handguns if I could just get her to shoot.

Once our 2nd is born in September, she has agreed to take a class and go shooting with me. I'm hoping she'll feel more comfortable with her own defense at that point. She said she'd pick up the gun and use it if needed, but I feel like she was just placating me.

Have fun back in the Hog. Flew Vipers for almost 11 yrs (9 active, 2 Guard) and now fly F-22s in the Guard. If I had to pick another jet, it would've been the A-10. Good luck!

Howdy from up the road in Lawton. I wish I knew what to tell you that the others haven't already told you. I just hope your wife wakes up before something else happens. Sounds like crime down there is going the same way it is here. UP!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I wish I could help you, I can't can't get my wife to get "serious" either. I'm really scared that if and when she does "wake up" it might be too late!

Good luck!!!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

Excellent Idea!!!!!!!!!!!

If she won't listen to you, like some wives (no offense Bunny)(also some husbands don't listen to their wives), maybe she'll listen to others. I hope this works for you. A lot of good responses here.

Joker1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links