How do you "manage" your CC?

This is a discussion on How do you "manage" your CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may seem like a silly question, but my permit is due in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to get ready. How do you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you "manage" your CC?

This may seem like a silly question, but my permit is due in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to get ready. How do you manage your concealed carry so that you are carrying whenever allowed while not carrying where it is not permitted? I live in North Carolina, where you can't carry at: Restaurants that serve alcohol, places with admission, banks, parks, school grounds, State property, public events (parades, funerals), and any place that is posted. I can't eat at McDonald's the rest of my life, and I like to take in a movie every now and then. I like parks, and I like parades! I keep reading where you should carry all the time, but it doesn't seem feasible. It seems it will be quite the juggling act! Do you have to plan out every trip and decide whether to carry or not, or leave your carry arm in your vehicle or what?
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Fortunately I don't tend to run into that problem where I live. There are very few places I can not take it with me. However, on the off chance I go somewhere that I can't carry (into the court house for instance) it gets locked in my car for the trip.
    I know my sister in MN went through the same thing you are dealing with. 90% (or more) of the businesses had it posted. She spent a lot of time seeking out places she was welcome and I think she still has to go out of her way sometimes to ensure she does not give money to pro-rape businesses.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    It's not that big of a problem around here. When I have to go to DC or MD, I stop off at home first and disarm. I try to go there as little as possible. Aside from that, the only real problem is restaurants. We have to OC in restaurants which serve alcohol, so I usually leave it at home or in the car (I have a CoM safe for the car). Rarely I have OCed.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Also have a CoM safe in car, but my main use, which was going into KS, is no longer an issue thanks to the NRA and a reasonable KS AG. Haven't gone into businesses that are posted, but thinking that will cease to stop me in the future - in MO you only have to leave when asked.

About all you can do is determine what's legal and what's not and conduct yourself accordingly. I'm in Illinois and it's one of the worst states in the nation when it comes to firearms ownership. And don't even ask about carry in public, concealed or otherwise. I carry daily [got the 10MM on my hip as I type this] but I load and unload a half dozen times a day and case the firearm when it's against the law not to. If you know the law in your area, and I mean really get familiar with it, and begin by carrying in the places where you are obviously OK to do so and do not carry where you are obviously not OK and blend in every place else as you become accustomed to those locations you will probably do just fine. The problem is that you'll begin to be so comfortable with carry mode that you can neglect to switch. The "get really familiar" thing is first and foremost. You have to know how to handle firearm storage in each place you have to store it. For example in Illinois, the most anally retentive state in the union, you can carry your handgun in your vehicle within reach with a loaded clip in the same case as long as no round is in the gun [clip or chamber]. That means that if needed a case that will open with the push of a button will allow access to a firearm in the time it takes to pop the case open, insert the clip, and press the lever to allow the slide to move to battery. With a little practice it's not quite but just about as fast as a holster if inside a vehicle with a seatbelt on.

I carry most everywhere. We can carry onto school proerty now, must move from our holster to glove box or center console (yeah stupid I know!) and can't take it into the school itself. Also, the carry laws regulate how a no weapons allowed sign must look, and if it doesn't meet those requirements I can ignore it. If there is a sign or if I am going into a restaurant that serves alcohol I leave it in the truck.

VIP Member
    Normally I lock it up in the glove box; my vehicle has a hidden compartment in the glove box that is the perfect size for my 1911. If you don’t know where to look it looks just like part of the dash, don’t know if that was the manufactures intention but it works perfectly. If I am going on base or to the VA then I am forced to leave it home.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What part of MN does your sister live in?

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Fortunately I don't tend to run into that problem where I live. There are very few places I can not take it with me. However, on the off chance I go somewhere that I can't carry (into the court house for instance) it gets locked in my car for the trip.
    I know my sister in MN went through the same thing you are dealing with. 90% (or more) of the businesses had it posted. She spent a lot of time seeking out places she was welcome and I think she still has to go out of her way sometimes to ensure she does not give money to pro-rape businesses.
    I am curious because I hardly ever run into this problem and I too live in MN. I carry everywhere and I can't remember the last time I had to leave my gun in the car because of a posting.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

You'll get used to it. It's like making sure there's gas in the car and checking to make sure you have your wallet. It becomes habit to check where your going. The car gun safe/lock box is a good investment and you will find that there are lots of places that you can still carry.

Remember, if the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem is a nail. Find additional safety measures that will augment your carry. Pepper spray is an outstanding option for when you have to avoid concealed carry.

One other suggestion, if you don't already, when ever you go out while carrying, make sure to have your cell phone with you. It's the first thing you'll want after you re-holster in a self defense situation.

One of the biggest responsibilities you have is to let your reps know if you are unhappy with a law.

Living in NC does have the can I or can't I feel, however, I rarely am not carrying. I don't drink so no problem with the restaurants that I can't carry in , I just leave it in the car. If it is a posted no guns place I just don't go in. I will not give my money to anyone who doesn't care what happens to me while in their establishment.

I will say that it is VERY easy to forget you are carrying and find yourself somewhere you are not suppose to be carrying. I went to a funeral yesterday and was about to sit down in the chapel when I remembered. Had to go back out to the car.

One thing to remember Concealed means concealed.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I am curious because I hardly ever run into this problem and I too live in MN. I carry everywhere and I can't remember the last time I had to leave my gun in the car because of a posting.
    That is great news. I seem to remember St. Paul having a sign posted in every window last time I was out there (04, 05?). I will have to give her a call and ask her.

Someone close to me has been carrying in NC for a few months now. He doesn't carry into any government or school buildings. Private businesses are a different animal though. For example my understanding of NC law is that it is lawful to open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (even to imbib while carrying, which is not a good idea). If a person carries into a posted place, and is caught, they are guilty of no more than trespassing and may have their permit taken or put on probation. With the way he carries (small gun, pocket holster, loose pants), and the fact that the gun will only be seen if he has to use it; he chooses to carry just about everywhere regardless, knowing he'd rather be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

I recommend finding places that support our rights and letting the economic consequences of limiting freedom take their toll.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle7865 View Post
    Someone close to me has been carrying in NC for a few months now. He doesn't carry into any government or school buildings. Private businesses are a different animal though. For example my understanding of NC law is that it is lawful to open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (even to imbib while carrying, which is not a good idea). If a person carries into a posted place, and is caught, they are guilty of no more than trespassing and may have their permit taken or put on probation. With the way he carries (small gun, pocket holster, loose pants), and the fact that the gun will only be seen if he has to use it; he chooses to carry just about everywhere regardless, knowing he'd rather be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

I recommend finding places that support our rights and letting the economic consequences of limiting freedom take their toll.
    A bit of error there, in North Carolina it is illegal to carry where alcohol is sold and consumed. Also it is illegal to carry into any business that is posted for no carry.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL..._14-269.3.html

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-415.11.html
    Last edited by msgt/ret; July 22nd, 2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added links
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't drink, either, but I sure like to eat! They don't call me "BIGBEAR" for nothin'! I spend alot of my time letting my representatives know what I think. I have made myself very familiar with the current laws pertaining to CC here in NC, and don't feel it would do me or those of like mind any good to get caught breaking those laws, so my plan is to carry whenever, and wherever it is legal. I, too, plan on taking my business elsewhere when I find places that have decided to post. I also plan on letting them know exactly why. I agree with their right to choose to do so, but I want them to know why I disagree with their reasons for making that choice. Thanks for the replies.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Distinguished Member
    Well, despite the fact that both of my senators just voted nay on Thune-Vitter, my state's pretty gun-friendly (except Portland and Eugene). Most of the state, contrary to popular belief, is quite conservative. Only a few places (*cough* Hood River! Eugene! *cough*) are the stereotypical granola-birkenstock Oregonians portrayed on TV

There's virtually nowhere I dont carry. Nothing in my area is visibly posted, and I never have to go to any restricted places (court house, post office, etc) and Oregon law even allows concealed carry at public schools (though it is frowned upon).

The only time I disarmed recently was at the gentlemen's clubs for my bachelor party.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links