Who carries P226 here in summer time

This is a discussion on Who carries P226 here in summer time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking of getting a P228 and getting rid of my P226 (just don't have the funds to buy another pistol right now) My ...

Thread: Who carries P226 here in summer time

I was thinking of getting a P228 and getting rid of my P226 (just don't have the funds to buy another pistol right now)

My 226 has the SCT grips and the 20 rounder magazine... problem is, that magazine is fricking HUGE and so are the grips.... they will work awesome when I become a LEO one of these days, but for now, its just too darn big to carry... I was thinking go buy some normal size grips, and get a 18 rounder mecgar. 18+1 will be plenty imo

so I wanted to know who here carries a P226 during summer time with just a shirt over the weapon

I keep telling myself its too big to carry, but I don't think it is... I carried it yesterday with a button up shirt (kept it unbuttoned) and it worked well. I don't even have a holster for it yet...

so who here carries a P226 during summer and minimal clothing?

I'm going to try to get a LCP or something of that size to carry while wearing shorts.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ive carried a Sig 226 and 220. The big thing is keep the 20 rounder mag as a reload. It just isnt practical for in the gun carry. Also it takes a good holster and belt to carry comfortably. One option that might work is a smartcarry such holster. I personally use a bianchi IWB holster, or a blackhawk CQC, sometimes an ACE tuckable holster now. It is a fine weapon, so I wouldnt get rid of it. Save up to get a smaller weapon if you want, but keep the 226.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Ive carried a Sig 226 and 220. The big thing is keep the 20 rounder mag as a reload. It just isnt practical for in the gun carry. Also it takes a good holster and belt to carry comfortably. One option that might work is a smartcarry such holster. I personally use a bianchi IWB holster, or a blackhawk CQC, sometimes an ACE tuckable holster now. It is a fine weapon, so I wouldnt get rid of it. Save up to get a smaller weapon if you want, but keep the 226.
    I hear ya, I'd hate to get rid of this thing, I can hit almost 100 yards with it!!!! the pistol and I just work out perfect lol... and yeah, he 20 round is not practical for carry, it adds almost an inch to the height.

I had a comptac infidel holster for my USP, and I didn't like it at all... I was thinking the raven one, which conceals well, but is not too comf... so I don't know... carrying without a holster makes me feel like a thug, which I don't like, but ordering a holster is almost a month :(

I love my SIG P226, too. It's the pistol that I'm most accurate with.

However, it's much easier to carry 2 J-frames than my one SIG. I've only been able to carry mine in a Maxpedition Versipack.

VIP Member
    While I don't carry a Sig 226, I do carry a gun with very similar dimensions. I have no problems carrying it under a untucked shirt. It's my EDC gun year around. Why change what works for you.

if it helps i'm 6'2 and 190 lbs...

I guess i'll just go order me some normal grips, the normal size mag and get a supertuck or something.... I guess that would work well with a larger sized pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
    I love my SIG P226, too. It's the pistol that I'm most accurate with.

However, it's much easier to carry 2 J-frames than my one SIG. I've only been able to carry mine in a Maxpedition Versipack.
    +1 on the Maxpedition Versipack. I have the Jumbo model and carry my P226 around in it. There are several places I go where I legally cannot carry, so the Versipack is a nice option. It rides next to me in the car hiding the Sig, but by leaving the zipper open, you have instant access. Maxpedition makes a universal "holster". Read: trigger guard. It works very well. I also have a dual mag holder.

I take it on hikes and even trips to the store. It doesn't look like a man purse, so you're not rockin' teh ghey. It also holds a big water bottle, my Kindle, Maui Jims, and a couple granola bars.

I have a SuperTuck I bought from another member here that also works well for the P226, although I usually opt to carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II IWB rather than the Sig. I have a SigSauer brand Kydex holster for OC or for wear under a coat in cooler weather.

I am similar inn body type to you...6' 190lbs, and I carry a 226 in an Uncle Mike IWB holster all the time quite comfortably. I think the key with carrying a full size pistol is to get a holster that is least bulky...I see a lot of guys carrying a smaller gun, but then use a bulky holster than then is a bulky to carry as my P226...indeed, where I live in Jamaica, most guys here carry full size pistols and conceal them quite well in jeans and a shirt hung over. I would lose the 20 round mag though...the 18 rounder is much more concealable as said before if you want the 20 rounder, carry it as a spare.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links