CCW at the St. Louis Arch NP?

This is a discussion on CCW at the St. Louis Arch NP? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry CCW at the St Louis Gateway arch which is a national park? I know a bill passed allowing carrying in ...

Thread: CCW at the St. Louis Arch NP?

Question CCW at the St. Louis Arch NP?

Is it legal to carry CCW at the St Louis Gateway arch which is a national park? I know a bill passed allowing carrying in national parks, but is it just parks like Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain NP? We are considering a trip to STL to visit the arch. Any help is greatly appreciated. Don't want to perturb the feddies!
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

2. Remove Ads

As of now, I believe the word is no. I definately know you can't enter the Arch with firearm or any "illegal knives" (over 4", self or auto openers)

If my memory serves me right the answer is yes and no.
    Yes on the grounds of the park you can but
    No if you want to go inside the arch. Due to the tight, cramped spaces and crazy folk.

They screen everyone and every thing and metal detectors (which always crossed me as strange going into a stainless steel metal structure) going into the Arch. But the grounds are free range for anyone.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    What about a LEO?
    For God, Family and Country!

wait NP are still off limits a fed judge reversed the rule iirc
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

And the streets are part of the park.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

This question was recently asked on the Missouri Carry forum. Here's the link:
    MissouriCarry.com :: Log in

If I recall correctly, the new Federal Law that goes into effect in Feb, 2010 mandates that concealed carry in National Parks follow the laws for State Parks in any given State. This is the amendment that was added onto the Credit bill that Obama signed a couple months ago, not the National Park Service Rule that reversed by the Federal Judge.

So….If Missouri allows CC in State Parks then it would be allowed AFTER Feb, 2010 (I think the actual date is the 10th or 11th). However, if CC is not allowed in the State Parks then it would not be allowed in the national Park.

In any case this does not take effect until Feb. and until then CC is not allowed in any National Park.

My friend just got back from a motorcycle trip there and was not allowed in with any knives. Now for my friend carrying 3 knives OK but his wife was told her little 2" would not be allowed either. So they had to gets trans back to the hotel, leave knives, and get trans back all for a very short tour of the Arch.

IMO they should have taken the tour seperately while the other held the knives saving a lot of time and fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    If I recall correctly, the new Federal Law that goes into effect in Feb, 2010 mandates that concealed carry in National Parks follow the laws for State Parks in any given State. This is the amendment that was added onto the Credit bill that Obama signed a couple months ago, not the National Park Service Rule that reversed by the Federal Judge.

So….If Missouri allows CC in State Parks then it would be allowed AFTER Feb, 2010 (I think the actual date is the 10th or 11th). However, if CC is not allowed in the State Parks then it would not be allowed in the national Park.

In any case this does not take effect until Feb. and until then CC is not allowed in any National Park.
    Pretty much correct to a degree. The person has to be legal to carry in the state where the NP is located. So, for example, the person has a CCW from a state which MO honors then it will be legal. However, if the person is from a state which MO doesn't honor then CCW will not be legal. An example would be someone from IL who does not have a CCW would not be allowed to CCW in MO. The new law is not a blanket permit to carry in every NP. You first have to be legal to carry in the state where the NP is located.
    183 FBINA

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    And the streets are part of the park.
    There are no streets that run through that park.

Short Answer is No

As others have noted, the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (Gateway Arch) has signs posted at the north and south entrances that prohibit concealed carry, knives, pepper spray, and other methods of defense. I took my oldest daughter, her husband, and their toddler there back in April after we dropped their vehicle for shipping to Germany (he's in the Army). I had my pepper foam with me & had to turn back when I read the sign. One of the park rangers asked if I was okay or had a problem, to which I replied, "I left my camera in my truck." On the way back in, I made sure to hold the camera up as I walked back by the rangers. Kinda dodged a bullet there (no pun intended)
    / / / / pkv / / / /
    "There are three kinds of people in the world: those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence." -- Unknown

When I was there there were signs in the parking garage that the whole area was part of the park, no CCW, etc.

And I did the walk of shame when I found a Kel Tec .32 mag still in my pocket as I got up to the metal detectors.

Links