Upgrading to a Full Carry in Putnam County, NY?

This is a discussion on Upgrading to a Full Carry in Putnam County, NY? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning all, New to this forum (but have read and searched it's content in the past for info and advice). I have finally received ...

Thread: Upgrading to a Full Carry in Putnam County, NY?

Upgrading to a Full Carry in Putnam County, NY?

Good morning all,

New to this forum (but have read and searched it's content in the past for info and advice).

I have finally received my Putnam County, NY Pistol License, but as expected, it is a restricted license, for Hunting & Target only.

I have already received information from the County Clerk's office regarding requesting an upgrade to a Full-Carry, with no restrictions (the Clerk's office already has pre-printed upgrade request handouts, so that tells me that they anticipate the request right from the get-go). (My wife's License application is still pending, but I am anticipating that she will be receiving her's sometime soon, so we will be appearing before the Judge together).

I know there have been some past discussions on this Forum regarding what specifically to include in a letter to the Putnam County Judge when requesting a hearing for an upgrade, but I'd be interested in hearing any first-hand experience from anyone who has requested an upgrade (and received one) in the past year or so. Also if anyone has had a recent hearing, what specifically you have discussed, with the Judge?

I am planning to join the Putnam County Fish & Game Club, and will be enrolling in additional firearms classes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Ads

In Rensselaer County you are required to take an additional course after you've had you permit for at least a year. My son just did it, and as far as the reason you want the restrictions taken off, "for all legal and lawful purposes." There was no hearing involved. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for your input and support.

Hey MMOUNTAIN, I'm in putnam as well and went through this whole process back in march. Here is exactly what i did

I wrote a letter to Geri in the pistol permits dept. I simply stated that wanted to request an upgrade to have the restrictions removed from my permit.

I didn't specify any reason.. just asked for the upgrade.

A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying that I was to go before the judge at a certain date and time... I sent the letter in Dec and my court date was March...so plan to wait

I went to the court not knowing what to expect.. and I was a bit nervous.

Don't be nervous. There will be like 50 other people there waiting to go before the judge... 1st come 1st served so get there early. I waited 2 hours

You put your name in and wait... then they call you in to the court room. You state your name and address for the record.

The judge was really nice and un intimidating. He asked why I wanted the upgrade and I said simply "to have the option to carry for personal protection"

He then asked how long I have had my permit and when the last time I took a safety course.. i answered

he then asked how i keep my gun at home and I answered "I keep the gun in a safe un loaded"

he said very good (I would answer the same even if you don't keep your gun locked up)

he then granted the upgrade pending me taking the safety class again within 90 days.. I think he does that for everyone.

that was it... my permit was upgraded right there (they don't actually do anything to your permit. You can take your permit to the clerks office and Fran will cross off the restrictions and type un restricted on it).

If you don't send in proof of taking the class they will suspend your permit.

The whole thing lasts a few minutes. Some people brought lawyers with them but i don't think that's necessary unless you have some kind of record.

If you have any other questions about the process please let me know.

I'm also thinking about joining Putnam Fish and Game. I think it's $400 to join so i have to save up the money. I'd love to have a cool place to shoot. Currently I shoot at blue mountain and that place is pretty limited.

If you ever wanna go shoot sometime let me know!
    -Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the input. I plan on joining Putnam Fish & Game as well (for the whole family: me, wife & son).

Peter

Links