Officer didnt notice

Officer didnt notice

This is a discussion on Officer didnt notice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and we have to notify leo if approched or addressed i was in a store checking out when a female officer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor

Officer didnt notice

I live in NC and we have to notify leo if approched or addressed
    i was in a store checking out when a female officer came up behind me i was carring a xc 45 service in a serpa holster with a shirt covering it she didnt notice it or aleast didnt seem to so just be sure im in the right here she we never spoke at all so i dont belive i needed to tell her did i ?

Cool

Shoppping in the same store doesn't constitute official contact.

I agree. I believe the spirit of the law is that being approached means a conversation with a LEO in the line of duty. I might go a little further and say that if involved in an auto wreck, or witness to something where there is an investigation you would be obligated to inform even if you are not the one that was in the wreck, but you are somehow detained by the incident because of traffic etc. But unless you are engaged in conversation you are not being approached.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

IIRC, and I am not a lawyer, your contact with a LEO would have to be in "official" contact.

That means when they are asking for your ID, questioning you, and other such duties. To me, if you were to hand me your CWP and your Driver's License when I asked for your ID that would tell me that you were carrying a gun. I'll proceed from there depending upon the situation at hand. Bear in mind, that applies to state and local LEO's, not federal.

If I were to say hello to you as you were walking past me and you declared that you were carrying a gun I would think you were a fruitcake and find a reason to find out why you felt the need to tell me you had a gun if I worked as a local LEO.

Just my $0.02

Biker

Not sure how your law reads, but I would expect that casual contact like that would not be included, other wise you would have to talk to every officer you saw. In Ks. we do not have to notify, But I live next to the Ok. boarder and am in Oklahoma as much as Kansas. Ok. is a notify state, and I have yet to have an Offical contact with a PD there.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

nope... Only if they question you or ask for "id"

I pulled up beside a motorcycle LEO asked him for directions. I did not announce I had my gun at that time. He was in one lane of traffic I was in the other. I don't think that would have qualified as being approached either. I can just see it now, Hi, i'm looking ...... could you tell me which block it is on and ohhhh btw, I'm carrying a gun that I have a CCl for .......
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

you could have raised one eyebrow and said to her,"Mine is an xc 45, what's yours honey?"

VIP Member
    each state is different, you'll need to know NC's requirement (what most folks call official contact)

for example, Texas is a notify LEO state, and its based on if a peace officer or magistrate asks for ID then if you are carrying you must show both DL and CHL

I can't speak for NC but the mere fact of seeing a LEO or even talking to them may not meet the requirement, it may be like Texas in that if they ever ask for your ID, but you need to check the text of the law to make sure
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

A casual conversation is not reason to disclose...you would look a little to eager to mention your weapon...OMO

Stay armed...disclose only in formal situations...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NCGS 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
    (a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.
    Unfortunately, and as usual, NC law is vague and requires us to guess the intent of the law to avoid doing ridiculous things. By the letter of the law, you were technically required to inform her because she "approached" you, but that's a ridiculous thing. I would not have informed her either. Perhaps "approached" has a legal meaning defined elsewhere, but reasonable people would agree that the intent is to inform an LEO when you are having any contact with them in their official duty (eg, if you get pulled over, or if you're a witness to an event and they're asking you about it).

I think this is one of those "you'll know it when I see it" things where you'll know when you should be telling them you have it.

The other day I was driving next to one and we were waiting at the stop light. He was in the lane next to me. And I looked over at him and he nodded. I nodded back and then yelled I have a gun. I was just informing him but he started to pull his. I don't know why?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    you could have raised one eyebrow and said to her,"Mine is an xc 45, what's yours honey?"
    Lmaorotf
    I thought about that but im 6 5 1/2 280 pounds and she was about the same size

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRonB View Post
    Unfortunately, and as usual, NC law is vague and requires us to guess the intent of the law to avoid doing ridiculous things. By the letter of the law, you were technically required to inform her because she "approached" you, but that's a ridiculous thing. I would not have informed her either. Perhaps "approached" has a legal meaning defined elsewhere, but reasonable people would agree that the intent is to inform an LEO when you are having any contact with them in their official duty (eg, if you get pulled over, or if you're a witness to an event and they're asking you about it).

I think this is one of those "you'll know it when I see it" things where you'll know when you should be telling them you have it.
    Im pretty sure the approached thing is if they are walking up to talk to you about a sertain thing like a traffic acc. or the like
    ive had to talk to 2 deputys at my home concerning someone messing in my mailbox and it felt funny being on my property but i did notify both times cause i was approached and addressed
    or afficial contact was made both time we got to talking about holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fdisk View Post
    Im pretty sure the approached thing is if they are walking up to talk to you about a sertain thing like a traffic acc. or the like
    ive had to talk to 2 deputys at my home concerning someone messing in my mailbox and it felt funny being on my property but i did notify both times cause i was approached and addressed
    or afficial contact was made both time we got to talking about holsters.
    I agree. If only the law actually said that, we wouldn't have to assume.

It also says "approached or addressed", which tells me if they come up to you, even if they don't address you, you're required to disclose you're carrying. It says nothing about "official" contact.
    Last edited by NCRonB; July 23rd, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links