I created it, now what do I do?

I created it, now what do I do?

This is a discussion on I created it, now what do I do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has to do with the neighbor that has recently gotten into guns/shooting. I helped him through getting to the range with me, purchasing his ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I created it, now what do I do?

Question I created it, now what do I do?

This has to do with the neighbor that has recently gotten into guns/shooting. I helped him through getting to the range with me, purchasing his first firearm, and got him set up with some ammo. We have been shooting a few times, last night we even took his 6 year old son and my son so that I can start to teach his son safe gun handling skills. That is another story in itself.

Anyway, he had been carrying his SR9 in his back pocket when around the house, and laying it on the top of the fridge, or coffee table whatever. With his kids, boy 6, and girl 2, neither has been around guns or know any rules regarding them, so this was a recipe for disaster. I kept telling him to go get a holster, even just a cheapo that will at least hold the gun on the belt, but so far he had not done it. I recently got in a new Fist holster that works with both my Taurus' guns, and had just about stopped using my Wild Bill's all together. So the other night while we were on the driveway shooting the bull, I decided what the heck lets see if the Wild Bill's will fit the SR9. It did, not a perfect fit, but it holds it fairly secure and it is at least on his person. No more coffee table or top of fridge for the gun. He did follow the recommendation of getting a small pistol safe for at night and or when he isn't around to put the gun in.

So here is the deal. Now that he has been using this holster and getting comfortable with it, he has messed up twice. He is good to go carrying concealed at his home, in his car, ect. But twice he has forgotten about it and went to the store with the gun in the holster. He failed to take it out of the holster and put it in the console of the car before entering the store. The first time, he went to the liquor store to get some smokes and a 6 pack, dropped his cash and the guy behind the counter (luckily it is a friend of his) said hey Joe, (not really his name) whats that on your side there. Well that was all good, since they ended up going to be back of the store, and the clerk was looking over his pistol. The second time he went to a different store and low and behold right behind him walks a cop. Now Joe is very nervous because he realizes that he still has this pistol on, so he splays his body away from the cop a bit, and finished the transaction then goes straight home.

I have told him that he needs to be more aware and needs to make sure that he leaves it in the console, or leaves it at home before he goes. Well he understands this but said, he didn't feel comfortable taking it out of the holster and putting it in the console, that someone would see ect. So I tell him that if he isn't going to be aware of what he is doing he really needs to get his CHL, and then he would be good to go. Of course this comes at a price, about 300 bucks in our area of Texas from start to finish, and he says he really doesn't have that kind of money or really doesn't need it, that these were just mistakes.

Mistakes or not, these types of actions can be very costly in the long run. With either a criminal record or heaven forbid getting himself into a situation where he would attempt to use his gun. He definately isn't ready to address that situation yet IMO. He doesn't carry with one in the chamber since he isn't comfortable yet. But that is another issue all together.

Anyone have any other recommendations on how to cure what might be a bad habit being formed right now by the neighbor?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Positive re-enforcement. Keep after him, it will set in one of these times. I have a neighbor that is the same way, I just keep on going at him until he finally figured it out. You are being a good friend and neighbor by doing what you are doing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Positive re-enforcement. Keep after him, it will set in one of these times. I have a neighbor that is the same way, I just keep on going at him until he finally figured it out. You are being a good friend and neighbor by doing what you are doing.
    +1 I think this is all you can do

Yup. Don't take responsibility for his negligence, either. It's not you... it's him.

Instill in him the IMPORTANCE of keeping the gun AWAY from those kids.

When my grandkids come over, mine are locked up.

If he gets arrested for open carrying in Texas, thats his dumb mistake.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    If he gets arrested for open carrying in Texas, thats his dumb mistake.
    He is carrying concealed, not openly.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    have him get on DefensiveCarry.com It's a great site.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Remind him as forcefully as possible that should he get arrested for illegally carrying concealed, it will at best result in the inability for him to actually get a CCH license for some years, if not permanently (don't know TX law) and that he may very well have his firearm confiscated and never returned. If he can't afford to get the license now, he most assuredly can't afford to lose the gun.

After that, he's not your responsibility. You've tried your best.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Texas

Tell him the same thing I tell all my friends here in Texas who havent gotten their CHL's and who occasionally have a gun on their person...

"Put on your big boy pants and get your license!"

Carrying a weapon is a big responsibility and IMO if your responsible enough to carry around a loaded firearm you need to get a license, training and carry it all the time. Unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm in public is kind of a big no-no. Texas has made provisions to allow people to legally carry a firearm if protocol is followed and as such I doubt they would give much leniency on unlawful carry.

I enjoy the ability to carry in my state and every time someone without a license gets busted, that's one more black mark that can be used against us gun folk.

farronwolf, I think you've done a good thing, you've given him plenty of advice and help, now its up to him to be responsible. And Kuddos on giving him the holster, you may have unknowingly just saved the life of one of his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    He is carrying concealed, not openly.
    So he's carrying concealed w/o a CHL, lots of luck with him.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

EdC
    "Absent minded" is the word that comes to my mind regarding your friend, at least based on your description of what he's been doing. You know him better than I, though. How is he on minding the 4 Rules (when he becomes aware that he's got a gun in his hand, that is)?

You need to remind him that negligent storage and display of friearms around the home and his children could actually cause the authorities to remove his children from the home. The Carrying concealed is just stupid and will cach up to him especially in a holster that is not a good fit and is printing badly.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    So he's carrying concealed w/o a CHL, lots of luck with him.
    That is the whole point in this post, looking for additional suggestions on getting him either to get his CHL or to be more aware of what he is doing.

Some additional information for what it is worth. In Texas he can carry concealed while at his home, standing in his drive etc. He can get into his car with his gun concealed either on his person or in the automobile and go anywhere that is not prohibited in the statutes. He would be good to go in even popping through the drive through at the liqour store to get his smokes or whatever and heading home. It is the moment he steps out of his car with the gun on his person that this becomes a problem.

As far as the holster, printing etc. The holster is not that bad of a fit, not perfect but really not that bad. The SR9 is not that much smaller dimensionally than the PT111 or 24/7 that I used it for. It is an OWB holster and he is using a semi decent belt. While he is standing there with his T-shirt on, moving around, messing with the kids etc, he doesn't print. It was the way he bent over apparently, you know the way all of us used to bend over before concealed carry, he bent over at the waiste instead of bending at the knees, which made him print severely.

Generally he is pretty decent on safety at the range. We have only been 3 or 4 times, and he has gone with another neighbor of ours once, but I don't know how he acted then. He does good on keeping his finger off the trigger, weapon pointed in a safe direction, etc. We shoot at deer camp so there aren't established shooting lanes and you have to move from where the tables are set up out to where we fire from and back to the tables. He is good in those aspects.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I think your friend needs to grow up and realise he ain't carrying a squirt gun,he will either be arrested at some point for unlawfully carrying concealed or the way he seems to think a 2 or 6 yr old won't or can't pull the trigger on a pistol is gonna end up tragically.IMHO if you want to carry a firearm you better have enough brain cells to realize the importance of being responsible.He is the perfect Brady poster child
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

He's an adult...not your problem (but I understand how you feel), it's just that some people and extremely slow learners.
    You can quote law and examples of fines and jail time, some people only learn by getting 'burned'.

You might search the i-Net for stories of people who did the same thing and show him what the penalties could be...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links