WA ferry carry?

This is a discussion on WA ferry carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen a few people here from Washington State so I have to ask the question. I going on a weekend trip out to ...

Thread: WA ferry carry?

WA ferry carry?

I have seen a few people here from Washington State so I have to ask the question. I going on a weekend trip out to the San Juan Islands this weekend. I going to be walking on to and traveling by ferry. What is your opinion on concealed carry while traveling by ferry. I see nothing specific in the law that would prohibit it. What do you think?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

2. Remove Ads

pax
    See Security at Washington State Ferries

Carrying firearms aboard the ferries

WSF follows Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 9.41.050 for carrying firearms.

RCW 9.41.050

(1)
    (a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
    (2)
    (a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
    (3)
    (a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
    In other words, keep it on you and don't leave it in your unlocked car.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

According to this document (Security at Washington State Ferries), you're good to go! (assuming, of course, that you're legal to carry!)
    Last edited by JonInNY; July 24th, 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: PAX and I just posted at same time. Deleted the redundant text.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    (assuming, of course, that you're legal to carry!)
    Of which I am.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

--Henry Ford

Thanks for the quick replies. I am at work surfing on my phone and it has a wicked slow connection here. I didn't want to go wasting my time looking around on the net when you guys/gals can give me a quick and to the point reply. Thanks again.
    --Benjamin Franklin

--Henry Ford

Enjoy your trip through the San Juans. Be prepared for looong waiting lines for the ferry. With the heat this weekend, make sure you have plenty of water or such.
    The Washington State Ferry system is an extension of the state highway system, so essentially the same rules apply.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    That's a beautiful ferry ride and a fun weekend.......I did it more than a few years ago....and I carried.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Just don't think about carrying to Sidney, B.C. and you are good to go!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Ferry carry?

This is the USofA. All people, regardless of race, religion, creed, language, ethnicity, size, etc. have the right to defend themselves.

Even if your name is Tinkerbelle.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

carry. or open carry. your choise and both are legal in WA.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

good info

Thanks for the worthwhile info pax !

VIP Member
    Hi,

I pack on every ferry trip. I just took one from endmonds to kingston with my trusty XD. You are within the law no problem.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links