Anyone have a non-resident Mass LTC-A?

This is a discussion on Anyone have a non-resident Mass LTC-A? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I was wondering if anyone here has a MA LTC-A from out of state. As I mentioned in some of my other threads, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone here has a MA LTC-A from out of state. As I mentioned in some of my other threads, I'll be moving from NH to NY in the coming months. My family is in ME. I'd like to be able to drive from NY back home to the mid-coast region of ME without taking my gun off and locking it up (once I get my NY permit ). I've got every state that I drive through covered except MA...been putting that one off for the last few years due to the $100/year + recurring training costs but I can't put it off any longer due to my new location.
    Anyway...I was wondering, for those that have one, what reason did you put down (packing.org says that the state police are no longer accepting "All Lawful Purposes"???) Also wondering if you had to write a letter like some in the state have to which details why you need to carry there.
    Don't really like applying to all of these non-shall issue states ...one of my fears is that I don't want to be denied...because then I'll have to explain it forever on all of the shall issue apps with questions like "Have you ever had a license to carry revoked or denied?"
    oh well...only a temporary move for me so I can live with it for 3 years...then we're back to ME!!!
    Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

LTC in MA

That I know of, MA does not have an out of state LTC.

It is true that ma no longer accepts "All lawful purposes" you do need to write a letter stating your reasons for wanting to carry and provide 3 references. I'll do some more looking into the out of state LTC and get back to you.

Mike

Thanks for looking Mike, I appreciate it!!

hmm, Well I did find this on mass.gov:

Q: Can a nonresident obtain a permit to carry a weapon in Massachusetts?

A: M.G.L. c. 140, § 131F allows the Colonel of the State Police or his designee to issue a temporary LTC to nonresidents or persons not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. Currently, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has been designated to issue permits to nonresidents. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780.
    I think the only catch(from my reading which could certainly be wrong) is that since it is a "temporary" license, it is only issued for a period of 1 year...I can always call the FRB, I was just curious if anyone here actually got one of these or if it's one of those impossible to get deals.

Of course MA has a non-resident LTC-A. They're not about to give up a $100 per year cash cow there! :D

I had a resident MA LTC when I lived there but when I moved to ME last year I had to re-apply from scratch for a non-resident one. Took about a month, I had to give them a convincing letter, and it is good for a whopping whole year. It does indeed say "temporary" on it, probably due to MA's scwered up laws/definitions and the fact that the permit is only calid for one year.

My letter mentioned my work situation ( I still work in MA), the fact that I often work late at night in undesireable areas, toting around expensive computer equipment. I also mentioned my long shooting history, and stressed the legal drawbacks of getting into an armed situation, and how all I didn't want to leave my family without a husband and dad.

Quote Originally Posted by packing.org
    Non-Residents: Contact the "Firearms Record Bureau" at (617)660-4780 to request and application for a "Temporary Non-Resident LTC"
    As of July 1st 2003 The Firearms Record Bureau will "not" accept one lined phrases as an acceptable reason for issuance on "All Lawful Purposes" licenses. You must state in writing why you fear injury to your person or property in order to be issued an unrestricted LTC.
    Residents/Non-Residents:
    The 1998 law removed the 90 day grace period for renewal applications.
    Admin note
    As of January 2004 Non Resident renewals are taking up to 6 months processing time.
    I know I personally could get a permit (see my post in: "Your Carry Decision"), but they are temporary for a window of time, if you are a non-resident, so with a 6 month processing time its almost useless.

Also an out of state permit goes to the state to decide, residents can get a decision from the chief of police in their town. Some towns are very friendly, others are very hostile, some towns only ex-LEO and vets can get one.
    Live Free or Die

BTW, when I did my application in August of last year, it was mailed back to me in about 30 days. I think their turnaround time goes up and down a lot, or something.

Thanks a lot for the information everyone...I feel that I can write a letter that shows I have need...two things that help me are, like jamz, I also have to carry lots of $$$ worth of computers/electronics for my job (consultant) and my wife deals with a lot of "drug seekers" at the hospital...I'm thinking that I can show need if I have to...will have to craft a letter pointing all of that out...in addition to the training and experience that I have.
    Thanks again for the info!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In most cases it is easier to get a NR LTC-A/ALP than for a mere peon who lives in MA to get a Resident LTC-A/ALP from their local chief (think 351 different fiefdoms/sets of rules and you'll get the idea)!

By law, the training requirement is ONLY on the initial application. This is true for NR applicants, while local chiefs oftentimes make their peons get training for each renewal.

sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    In most cases it is easier to get a NR LTC-A/ALP than for a mere peon who lives in MA to get a Resident LTC-A/ALP from their local chief (think 351 different fiefdoms/sets of rules and you'll get the idea)!
    You beat me to it. The MA State Police shows more faith by issuing a Class A LTC/ALP to the non-resident of MA than many Eastern MA municipal chiefs have in the law-abiding citizens of their own constituencies.

Outside of the greater Boston area, most of MA is basically shall-issue LTC-A ALP. I suppose it could be worse.

I have the Class A LTC in ma........had one for a long time, as I travel to and from the different States ........I wish they'd stop stiffin us in Nh, as we charge the ma residents 20 bucks for 2 yrs to CCW here...........a 100 bucks a year is way too much, but then again,,,,,,,,it's Kennedy Country
    Reason... ALL Lawful Purposes
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    I have the Class A LTC in ma........had one for a long time, as I travel to and from the different States ........I wish they'd stop stiffin us in Nh, as we charge the ma residents 20 bucks for 2 yrs to CCW here...........a 100 bucks a year is way too much, but then again,,,,,,,,it's Kennedy Country
    Biob, have you ever had a problem getting that LTC? I may look into getting the NR LTC-A since my parents live in MA but wasn't sure about putting up the cash yet....
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Hi Keith
    No problems getting the Ma LTC Class A...........You'll need to contact the Ma Dept of Safety State Police Chelsea ma...........Send for a Non-Res application......once you get it, you'll need to make copies of your NH CCW license, Drivers' License, and possibly a handgun safety course certificate in order to get the LTC.............It costs 100.00 for ONE year.........<gulp> send all the info, and your reason "Any Lawful Purpose' and it should take about 45 days........you'll recieve it in the mail and you'll be all set

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    I'm a Mass resident , after moving here from NH in 2003 I got my NH non-resident a little under 2 weeks after sending in the application. It's actually $20 for 4years.

Advice -- unless you reallyhave to come here, don't bother either coming or getting the non-res -- everything you can do here, you can do elsewhere, better. Except maybe drive a car off a bridge and drown someone....

Quote Originally Posted by tele_mark
    I'm a Mass resident , after moving here from NH in 2003 I got my NH non-resident a little under 2 weeks after sending in the application. It's actually $20 for 4years.

Advice -- unless you reallyhave to come here, don't bother either coming or getting the non-res -- everything you can do here, you can do elsewhere, better. Except maybe drive a car off a bridge and drown someone....
    Well Mark
    It was 2 yrs when I was a Ma Resident, getting my NH NON-Res permit....(that was about 20 yrs ago)....but I made the move north.......... but THANKS for updating my info
    You LEFT NH??? geeeeeeeesh.......unless it was a very needed move for you.........I can't imagine going back to Ma for any reason...........Its just too darn expensive, and too restirictive. (if I ever did, I am Grandfathered in with my Ma Lic to Possess a MG, so I guess that's a good thing)

If you can possibly believe it, I got a good enough deal in Leominster where I moved to that it actually beat out NH housing cost wise. The only reason I moved to MA was my mother passed away 3 years ago, so I moved to tighten up the proximity between my sister and my father. When the time comes, though, I'm outta here, hopefully to VT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links