IDPA

This is a discussion on IDPA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shooting Cowboy Action Shooting for the last 10 yrs. But the other day I went to a local IDPA match and I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA

IDPA

I've been shooting Cowboy Action Shooting for the last 10 yrs. But the other day I went to a local IDPA match and I think this would be a great training tool for carrying concealed.
    The guys were doing stages that ranged from sitting in a park and having a gang of thugs sic their pit bull on you to opening up your store, with an employee, and having three thugs try to rob you.
    I know professional training is the best but I think this could be a very valuable tool.

2. Remove Ads

Yep, it can help because IDPA is what USPSA/IPSC used to be; about practical scenarios. Outside of a professional school like Blackwater or Gunsite it is probably going to be the most help for you learning how to use the equipment you carry....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

My advice would be to "shoot what you carry" in IDPA matches. If you get caught up in the equipment race and have a "match gun" different from your house gun or carry gun you somewhat defeat the purpose.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out Clint Smith

Yes, training for gunfights is what IDPA is all about. Most of what is taught in gun fighting schools today grew out of the knowledge gained in reality-based competition like IDPA and IPSC as envisioned by Jeff Cooper and the others who organized it.

If you play IDPA and use your own carry gear like JimmyC4 recommended, you cannot help but improve your skills.

Distinguished Member
    Adroitus,

I see youre from OR.

Do you know of any of these matches in-state?

Id like to go see one sometime.

if you can locate one there is this link.
    http://www.idpa.com/clubs.asp
    //////////////////////////
    Eugene Practical Shooters
    Eugene, OR
    USA
    1st Sat. of the month
    Mark Kruger
    Home: 541-343-2160
    Work: 541-343-2160
    Michael Palandri
    Home: 541-653-9100
    Work: 541-687-3197

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jefferson State Shooting Association
    Keno, OR
    USA
    4th Sun.
    Preston Shaw
    Home: 541-882-7070
    Work: 541-882-7070
    Bill Watson
    Work: 541-992-9491

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Grande Rifle And Pistol Club
    La Grande, OR
    USA
    2nd Sat. of each month
    Rocky R. Mink
    Home: 541-663-0560
    Work: 541-663-0560

Southern Oregon Practical Shooters Association
    Medford, OR
    USA
    4th Sat.; 9:30 am start
    John Hughes
    Home: 541-664-3134
    Work: 541-773-2765
    Mobile: 541-840-2343
    Fax: 541-776-9060
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

My local location.
    Jim Hickey is a great guy. very acurate with that 1911 .45 of his (daily carry)

Norpoint Practical Pistol Club
    Arlington, WA
    USA
    1st Wed. of every month
    N. Brian Hallaq
    Jim Hickey
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I agree that there is value in the scenarios presented at IDPA matches most of the value to me comes from the artificial "stress" introduced by the timer, moving and multiple targets. I realize that is no where near life threatening stress but nothing compares to life threatening stress. Not to mention at the end of the day IDPA is a lot of fun for under $50 even if you shoot factory ammo.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Which ever you use, a carry gun or a race gun it will help with your mental speed, target acquisition, speed of follow ups, draw times, split times (time between shots), shooting under pressure* and accuracy.

My pistol shooting has grown leaps and bounds since I started shooting IPSC. I think a big part of getting better is seeing how fast the best shooters really are compared to the rest of us. Then, knowing what is possible, we can train to get that fast.

* No sport can simulate combat but at least there is some pressure.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 27th, 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I love IDPA (and USPSA). I shoot 3-4 matchs per month and try to split it up evenly. It's great fun, but neither sport is "training". At best they are "Practice".

You get to shoot stages that you couldn't do on a square range, alone! You get to shoot from positions that you'd never have thought of, and at harder targets than you might be comfortable with. But what you don't get is correction of bad technique and/or training on new techniques. Most times you don't get the "why" behind a new skill, just a "do it this way".

As I said--I love 'em, but they're just games.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I agree, IDPA isn't training. It is, however, an excellent way to learn gun handling under stress and fast, accurate shooting. Its also a great way to experience shooting in positions and enviroments not normally possible on a standard range. How often, for instance, does one get a chance to shoot out of the window of a car while seated in the driver's seat? That could be a useful skill in real life, and it would be nice to not have one's first experience doing so to be during a deadly force encounter.

I usually only make one or two matches a month, but its great fun and worth doing.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I concur w/the last two posters, HK Dan & Landric, & for the reasons they stated. IDPA is not training, but it's good practice & fun.

I myself, started IDPA before I really had any good training & picked a few bad habits as a result:
    • Not properly executing the [Gunsite] 'five step draw'
    • Not shooting properly from behind a barricade: I exposed too much of my body (IDPA allows 50%) & didn't cant my gun.

I'm working hard to correct my draw.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I plan to use my S&W model 10 as my carry gun is a j-frame or my .P3at Kel-tec. Not into race guns, just reliable guns.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    La Grande Rifle And Pistol Club
    La Grande, OR
    USA
    2nd Sat. of each month
    Rocky R. Mink
    Home: 541-663-0560
    Work: 541-663-0560
    Jeez...I just moved back after living in La Grande for the last six years, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Go to the IDPA website and download the Rules book. Read it on your computer and get to learn the commands given while handling your firearm and learn the scoring system too.

As a newbie, I wouldn't worry about the errors that you might make. You will make them anyway and we SO's try to work with ya on that.

Read and learn the safety stuff too. Bring about a 150 rounds to the first match you want to shoot.
    Bring an outside the waistband holster (prefer one that has no retention devices) and a couple of mag holders for the belt. A vest or light shirt for concealment and you'll be ready for your first match.

Pay attention, your hooked! While the course of fire (COF) is suppose to represent actual events that may have or, could have taken place this is a good chance to get familiar with your every day carry equipment and how it works. Please, at home, with an empty gun, learn to draw it safety and holster it without covering yourself with the muzzle.

Have fun, this is a game. Take your time shooting and just be happy to get hits on the targets. You can shoot the first match without being a IDPA member, membership is 35.00 I believe.

Welcome aboard!
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links