Shooting Log

Shooting Log

This is a discussion on Shooting Log within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you keep a shooting log? One that documents when you shot, how many rounds and what drills were practiced. This was brought ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Log

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Shooting Log

How many of you keep a shooting log? One that documents when you shot, how many rounds and what drills were practiced. This was brought up by one of the instructors at my CC class. He said as permit holders we would be held to the same standards as LE if GOD forbid we wind up in court. He said a prosecutor could ask how often we practiced and that could have a bearing on the outcome. To me this made a lot of since. So I think I will start to keep a nice log of all my practice from here on out.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I do but have always kept a log before i had a ccw

Assistant Administrator
    Probably is a good practice to carry out - but have to say I am usually too lazy to be so organized

Maybe I should be more regimented!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I used to keep one when I was shooting competitively, but not since then.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JT
    I keep one. I also keep an inventory of my ammo, record of gun cleaning and maintenance, when I last shot each firearm, etc.

The big surprise for me and the end of last year was when I realized I had not shot a shotgun all year. How did that happen?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    I use one....I use mine to track make/model/caliber of weapons fired, total rounds fired per gun, loads used, and malfs, type of shooting drills.

Although not a shooting log issue, I will additionally fire my agency's shooting qualification course (the standard FLETC course of fire) with my CCW's and have my firearms instruction date and sign-off on it.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I keep a log of every bullet i shoot out of my 34,19 and 26. I do this for several reason: [1] general info on how many round have gone thru each gun. [2] when i need to switch out firing and trigger springs and such. [3] I shoot glock pistiol and they are know for there reliability and the ability to fire even dirty and i don't clean my gun after every workout but i also don't wait until it cloggs up either. My gun log helps me with this.

I started to keep track of all the targets I was shooting but then it started to get out of hand with targets all over my house! I do like the idea of keeping a journal of my shooting habits though and I think I will start doing that the next time I go shooting.

Good call!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    Funny - I had a mental picture initially seeing subject line of a large chunk of tree - riddled with bullets!

I do keep a record in fact of ammo useage but it is somewhat based on cumulative increments of 50, per gun. I should show on reflection (knowing my bad memory) keep more detailed notes and will asign a small notebook to my range bag.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I keep a spreadsheet named "Gun Fu" with several pages, including:
    -details on shooting: dates, rounds fired through each pistol, target scores & distances,
    -page for detailing all expenditures for each year
    -inventory of unfired ammunition,
    -highlights of concealed-carry laws in states where I go which recognize my CO permit.

Pretty much everything. Not because of any legal reason, I simply get obsessed about measuring things.
    Last edited by Anubis; March 27th, 2006 at 08:48 AM.

I keep a log, but only to document the round count of each pistol for preventative maintenance. It could be useful in court too though.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

1952 - 2006
    I tried keeping a log but I kept forgetting to add data to it after a shooting session. so it kinda went pffft.

As for legal purposes about training, I have enough certificates and diplomas from various shooting schools and trophies from competitions to keep the record straight about my skills.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I agree with ACP, I just keep the defense class paper work, to me that is all anyone would need. A log can be made up, a class can be confirmed by other people and the instructor that it was taken.

I do however keep track of ammo used per gun by saving the box and cutting the front off and labeling what gun was shot to track the ammo count for spring life/changes, etc.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I don't keep a shot log for my handguns. Just my rifles. Handguns I only log number of rounds (resale purposes), any work or mods that were done, any failures or stoppages. Ditto for long guns too.

Even though I am a true skeptic regarding evidence used against a CCWer in a SD trial, keeping a log book containing groups might come up if you miss and hit someone. They will take a look at your books and wonder why a shooter who averages 1-3" groups missed the attacker by a lot more and killed a 10 year old girl.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The range I attend, Jacob's Plain Gun Club (shameless plug), logs the visits. I rely on that for my evidence of practice.

However, I think a more detailed log is probably better. It will also give me incentive to keep practicing with purpose and can show the weak areas and improvements.
    Blinky

Dalai Lama - May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links