Worlds biggest Dingus

This is a discussion on Worlds biggest Dingus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spent the weekend in Athens Al for a wedding. I carried a Kimber Pro Carry in an MTAC holster. Extremely comfortable rig. Wife and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds biggest Dingus

Unhappy Worlds biggest Dingus

Spent the weekend in Athens Al for a wedding. I carried a Kimber Pro Carry in an MTAC holster. Extremely comfortable rig. Wife and I had a nice room at a local hotel. My friend and I had to return to my room after the wife and I had left earlier. It was quiet as I walked up to my room door while my friend waited in the car, as I opened the door though I heard a high frequency man made noise in my room. The room was laid out with the king size bed to my forward left, immediately left is the table and two chairs and floor lamp. To my forward slightly right is the dresser and desk , TV on top of the dresser turned towards the bed, away from you when you enter the room. The left rear corner of the room is the rest room. Straight ahead is the sink and vanity for the bathroom. The right side of that has the clothes rack behind a 2 1/2 foot wall. Entire room is visible when you enter with the exception of the bathroom. The main room was clear but the bathroom door was pulled to. The sound seemed to be coming from the bathroom. When we stay in a hotel we put the wife jewels in a watertight box and hide it in the toilet tank. I drew my weapon and approached the bathroom door. I'm between the bed and vanity with the TV on it when I hear a woman holler, not scream, "He's got a gun!" or "GUN" or something like that from my right. I look to my right just in time to see Sandra Bullock diving into the crowd in the movie Miss Congeniality on TV. The wife had left the TV on when we left and I walked into the room just as she was playing the glasses for the talent portion of the contest. No one was in the room except for me and my paranoia! At that point I was crowned the worlds biggest dingus.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You maybe paranoid, but that still doesn't mean THEY aren't out to get you!
    LOL!

I'd rather feel dumb a thousand times than dead once.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    When we stay in a hotel we put the wife jewels in a watertight box and hide it in the toilet tank.
    It seems to me that you'd be better off leaving them in the room safe or in the concierge's safe. In case they are stolen from one of those places, you may have a claim against the hotel. By leaving them in the toilet tank, you are taking on the risk yourself.

Pro Tip: My wife's traveling jewels and gems are fakes - even the honking diamond on her wedding band. The real McCoy is trotted out for most events, but when we are on the road, she wears a copy that only a jeweler with a loupe could ascertain.

When we visit Europe, Mexico, South America or other foreign ports-of-call, we rarely take any jewelry unless we have a formal engagement when we take the fakes. We dress conservatively and don't wear obviously "American tourist" clothes such as white puffy sneakers, denim shorts, or logo-emblazoned clothing.
    Last edited by MadMac; July 27th, 2009 at 06:44 PM.

I will have to disagree with you on your self assessment.

I don't figure you for a DINGUS but rather for someone that is alert and aware. If I thought someone was in the room I wouldn't have entered, but retreated to a position of cover/concealment and watched the door while calling the local LEO's.

Hotels are great places for burglary and theft. That's just something for you to keep in mind.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I thought someone was in the room I wouldn't have entered, but retreated to a position of cover/concealment and watched the door while calling the local LEO's.

Biker
    I agree with Biker here. Why would go in with your gun at the ready and try to clear the room? You weren't being forced to enter. If a murderous crook was in the room already, he would have heard you enter and would have been prepared to strike - you, not so much.

Back away, go down the hall, and call the front desk from the house phone. Ask for security to check your room. It's security's job - let them take the risk.

Exclamation Why did I entrer the room?

A missing piece of info in my post is that I worked for years under contract to the US Treasury in the security area following my 6 years in the Navy, who gave me unsurpassed training in high risk environments. Its not in my nature to withdraw and let others take the risk for me. I do understand your advice and it is advice I would give others. Do as I say not as I do fits here I admit.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Personally, it wouldn't matter to me if I were a ninja. When you draw your firearm, several things can happen, and all of them are bad. Clearing your room was an absolutely unnecessary personal risk - irrespective of your training and perceived abilities.

Now the timing on that particular scene in that movie is hilarious. I couldn't have planned it better.
    I can't say exactly if I would have done the same as you, or like Biker suggested.
    Senses can do strange things to you when you are not expecting something. (Or were you expecting??)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I hope you didn't soil your BVD's!
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Thank you for sharing, Im cleaning my monitor off right now. That was funny. However, the sad part is, Ive done things like that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    A missing piece of info in my post is that I worked for years under contract to the US Treasury in the security area following my 6 years in the Navy, who gave me unsurpassed training in high risk environments. Its not in my nature to withdraw and let others take the risk for me. I do understand your advice and it is advice I would give others. Do as I say not as I do fits here I admit.
    Hooya, you are no dingus man. Way to hold it down!

Very good result! And i agree with feeling dumb a million times than be dead 1!

My wife and I were awakened from a sound sleep one night, to a crashing sound. (I'm deaf in one ear which adds to the problem of distance and orientation) After sweeping the whole joint, inside and out and finding nothing, I got back to the bedroom only to find out that the entire shelving system in the master bedroom closet had come crashing down, clothes, boxes, etc. and all. I chalked it off as a good learning experience.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

I'm sure that the adrenaline was flowing. I probably would have remained by the door, and had someone call security...then, I might have gone into the room...it depends.
    You certainly are not a dingus for being very alert.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    lol! I don't think you're a dingus, I agree with RetSupt, you're very alert. Great story though! I have a feeling that you'll be double-checking to make sure the TV is off for a while! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Personally, it wouldn't matter to me if I were a ninja. When you draw your firearm, several things can happen, and all of them are bad. Clearing your room was an absolutely unnecessary personal risk - irrespective of your training and perceived abilities.
    I am a ninja, even have the card in my wallet that tells me I am.

Unless I have no choice I will not be clearing any room, building or anything. BTW: I "clear" by way of FLASHBANG at a minimum. You very well can't do that in a Hotel without upsetting a bunch of people.

There have only been two people, IIRC, to make it through Col. Cooper's Shoot House alive. The method employed by one of them was to run through and just shoot everything. Hostage/Shoot target didn't matter. Run and shoot, run and shoot. Doorway, what doorway? Jump through the window.

Of the hundreds or even thousand(s) that have been through that scenario in the Shoot House and ended up DEAD what makes you think you are better? I know I'm not and I sure as heck won't clear anything without the aide of a partner and preferably a TEAM.

Biker

Ray Chapman was one of the two that survived the Shoot House. He shot everything and ran like hell. That should be a lesson in how much the odds are against you.
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 27th, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links