Could I have carried at the Dulles Gun Show?

This is a discussion on Could I have carried at the Dulles Gun Show? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't, and part of the reason was I couldn't remember how things worked down there... I did pay attention, though, and noticed that the ...

Thread: Could I have carried at the Dulles Gun Show?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Could I have carried at the Dulles Gun Show?

I didn't, and part of the reason was I couldn't remember how things worked down there... I did pay attention, though, and noticed that the only sign about guns at the entrance was:
    All guns must be unloaded. No exceptions.
    So, what take does everybody have on this? That's not exactly a no-CC sign, but they have cops and ATF roaming about so it'd be a bad place to run afoul of the rules...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

My experience with gun shows in general is permit or not, all guns must be unloaded. As a matter of fact, some time ago at this very gun show I was carrying and informed the "greeter" when asked that I was carrying. I was asked to unload, and my rounds were secured for me until I left.

VIP Member
    To answer the first part of your question. Yes you could carry concealed with a VA recognized permit, or OC without a permit. You were within the state boundaries of VA, so either way is legal. As to the sign you saw, every gun show I have been to in VA requires ALL weapons to be checked and strapped as well as unloaded. If you noticed even the weapons the vendors were carrying were strapped. You have too many idiots that show up at gun shows who haven't got the slightest clue as to what they are doing. The requirement helps to reduce the risk of a AD/ND.

I've been to gun shows here in PA and the same rules were posted.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    All the Fl gun shows I go to have a sign stating no CC period. Then again they have a Sheriff at the door, and several plains cloths officers walking around so I don't mind disarming. Also I usually go with my father....who is an exception to the no carry as being a LEO himself. My dad just talks quietly to the door officer incharge and gets a pass. Also that many guns and ammo in one place if something does happen in the show a lot of people will be loaded and ready in 5 seconds. So I wouldn't sweat being disarmed, I would worry more about my weapon in the car in the parking lot being stolen.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To answer the first part of your question. Yes you could carry concealed with a VA recognized permit, or OC without a permit. You were within the state boundaries of VA, so either way is legal. As to the sign you saw, every gun show I have been to in VA requires ALL weapons to be checked and strapped as well as unloaded. If you noticed even the weapons the vendors were carrying were strapped. You have too many idiots that show up at gun shows who haven't got the slightest clue as to what they are doing. The requirement helps to reduce the risk of a AD/ND.
    They can make their own rules if it's their property, but that doesn't make that last statement any more idiotic than the idiots that show up. There are 1,000,000 times more idiots OUTSIDE the gun show at the same time. Should we just go ahead and ban carry all together? What about the idiots with guns in the grocery store...or the ones in best buy...or the ones at the bank...or the shopping mall...or work...{insert place of preference here}.

I'm not saying they can't do what they please on their own property, just that if it's based on something like that last comment of yours, it's just as idiotic as the supposed idiots that show up. You can't fix stupid. It's a viral infection that is EVERYWHERE. Location doesn't matter.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Most gun shows do this to get insurance coverage at a reasonable rate. The folks who run the Dulles show have said on a couple of occasions that this is why they ban loaded weapons at their shows. Also, there was a ND at the show this year just before opening, the details of which are not entirely clear yet:

Leaving for the Chantilly gun show in a bit... - Virginia - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Dulles show this weekend - AR15.COM
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, folks.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

All of there rules and regs are on there website.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I carry in gun shows if they have no metal protectors. It stays concealed and is never exposed. If I am trading or looking for a holster or accesory for a gun I unload said weapon before going to the show. My carry never comes out.

Semper Fi

Would it not be more safe to make a rule for concealed carriers to the effect of:

Keep your concealed weapons holstered at all times. Any unholstering of a concealed weapon will be grounds for immediate removal from the grounds.

It seems that would be much safer that having 100,000 idiots trying to disarm and eject rounds at the front door.

A little common sense goes a long ways...

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Would it not be more safe to make a rule for concealed carriers to the effect of:

Keep your concealed weapons holstered at all times. Any unholstering of a concealed weapon will be grounds for immediate removal from the grounds.

It seems that would be much safer that having 100,000 idiots trying to disarm and eject rounds at the front door.

A little common sense goes a long ways...
    Yep.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Well, BkCo1, I would feel safe if they had metal "protectors." I'm sure you meant metal detectors;)

For me, I abide by the rules. I'm sure if something happened at a gun show, the idiot would be taken out pretty fast. All I have to do is GET DOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorw View Post
    Well, BkCo1, I would feel safe if they had metal "protectors." I'm sure you meant metal detectors;)

For me, I abide by the rules. I'm sure if something happened at a gun show, the idiot would be taken out pretty fast. All I have to do is GET DOWN!
    yeah except every disarmed numbskull is thinking the same thing...baahh baahh...someone else will fix it...

-The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    yeah except every disarmed numbskull is thinking the same thing...baahh baahh...someone else will fix it...
    Excuse me? I would say your avatar fits you well.

Links