Va Tuck and backup weapon?

This is a discussion on Va Tuck and backup weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to be going to Va for a period of time. I have never cc'd outside of our beautiful Gunshine State. I have two questions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Va Tuck and backup weapon?

Va Tuck and backup weapon?

Going to be going to Va for a period of time.

I have never cc'd outside of our beautiful Gunshine State. I have two questions for VA cc'ers.

I carry a full size auto IWB and a subcompact via pocket carry. Do I need to expose both guns when in a place that serves alcohol? Or does only exposing one gun cover the bases?

So, if I have to expose both firearms, I guess I am switching to an ankle holster ? or relegated to not carrying a backup in such a place.

Any other sticky VA cc situations/places I need to watch out for that I am not accustomed to here in FL?

...and yay for first time open carry! :)

Thanks,

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Concealed in such an establishment is a crime no matter how many guns you have on you. Having one gun open does not exonerate you from having the other concealed.

Thanks for the info!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Thanks for the info!

J
    Here is a good short summary of VA gun laws (scroll to the bottom): Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I carry a full size auto IWB and a subcompact via pocket carry. Do I need to expose both guns when in a place that serves alcohol?
    Yes. Also note that in VA the CCW is declared in the law as a "permit to carry a concealed handgun". That is pretty much all it says about what the permit allows you to do, except that there is a list of places that are off limits. So it is questionable whether concealing two guns at once is allowed. Rifles and shotguns cannot be concealed in VA, similarly. Open carry of any number of handguns, rifles and/or shotguns is allowed.

Any carry of a magazine over 20 rounds, a firearm with a threaded barrel, or an assault rifle in certain counties requires a CHP (or in your case a reciprocal permit ).

Counties are allowed to have an ordinance against having loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle. Handguns are no problem.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    A few non-starters besides restaurants with alcohol: Courthouses; K-12 schools including grounds, both public and private; and a college in Richmond that is off limits.

Yes. Also note that in VA the CCW is declared in the law as a "permit to carry a concealed handgun". That is pretty much all it says about what the permit allows you to do, except that there is a list of places that are off limits. So it is questionable whether concealing two guns at once is allowed.
    Does anyone know if concealing two is not allowed? This is the first time I've thought about this. I don't carry two presently, but have thought about it. Not meaning to hijack the thread. Hope the OP has a good trip to VA. I think the restaraunt thing should pass next year. Thanks.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

JD
    Administrator
    There's no restrictions on carrying one, two, three or even five guns if you so desire in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There's no restrictions on carrying one, two, three or even five guns if you so desire in VA.
    Do you have case law on this? I thought it was an undecided issue...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Do you have case law on this? I thought it was an undecided issue...
    No. Last time I checked, unless there was a law stating otherwise, it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    No. Last time I checked, unless there was a law stating otherwise, it's legal.
    There is...it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, and the only applicable exception is a 'permit to carry a concealed handgun'.

Do I think the GA intended multiple carry to be legal? Yes.

Do I think an activist CA would make the argument otherwise? Probably.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Ah, but once you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon there is no words prohibiting 2...and as we know from our wacky ability to OC in restaurants but not CC, if it is not specifically forbidden...it is permitted.

Joys of a free state (Commonwealth)!!!!!!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    So, if I have to expose both firearms, I guess I am switching to an ankle holster ? or relegated to not carrying a backup in such a place.

J
    Yes!

You'd be OCing and CCing. Still need a CHP for the CC -- and that prohibited in a restaurant or club that sells alcohol for on-site consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Yes. Also note that in VA the CCW is declared in the law as a "permit to carry a concealed handgun". That is pretty much all it says about what the permit allows you to do, except that there is a list of places that are off limits. So it is questionable whether concealing two guns at once is allowed. Rifles and shotguns cannot be concealed in VA, similarly. Open carry of any number of handguns, rifles and/or shotguns is allowed.

Any carry of a magazine over 20 rounds, a firearm with a threaded barrel, or an assault rifle in certain counties requires a CHP (or in your case a reciprocal permit ).

Counties are allowed to have an ordinance against having loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle. Handguns are no problem.
    I know of no case-law that focuses on the "a".

As a common-law State, generally a law needs to say "one", if it mean "one."

However, read my signature block -- INAL.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm assuming military bases like the one near st. petersburg are a no go.

Interesting fact about some counties not allowing loaded long arms in a vehicle but small arms are ok.

J

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm assuming military bases like the one near st. petersburg are a no go.

Interesting fact about some counties not allowing loaded long arms in a vehicle but small arms are ok.

J
    That's correct, no carry on military bases unless you are a LEO (either civilian, or military). That's actually the only reason I don't carry at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links