Headed to NC - Pisgah National Forest - Hot Springs

This is a discussion on Headed to NC - Pisgah National Forest - Hot Springs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey fine DC folks... My wife and I are headed to NC this weekend for a weekend of camping and fun in Hot Springs NC. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed to NC - Pisgah National Forest - Hot Springs

Headed to NC - Pisgah National Forest - Hot Springs

Hey fine DC folks...

My wife and I are headed to NC this weekend for a weekend of camping and fun in Hot Springs NC. Hot Springs is in Pisgah National Forest and I am questioning if it is legal for me to have my firearm with me. If any of you NC residents know what the rule is here please inform me. Handgunlaw.us says NO to carry in state/national forests for NC but can I keep it locked up in my car? I hate to leave it at home for the whole trip if it is indeed ok for me to have it in the car but just not on my person while in the national forest...

thanks in advance
    Glock 26 edc in Crossbreed Supertuck or SmartCarry when the situation calls for it
    S&W 442 every now and then when i feel like it in a mika pocket round
    Kel Tec p3at Desantis Nemesis / Tagua IWB Clip
    Mossberg 500 for home defense

2. Remove Ads

Being in a national forest is not like being in IL, NYC, or NJ...keep it stored and locked away in your trunk and you will be just fine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm jealous I have to admitt..

Even while driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you can not have a loaded accessable gun.

Like others said, no guns in any parks.

Have fun, it is absolutely beautiful up there. I may hit the Parkway tomorrow and do a little scenic driving and a little trout fishing.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

here's my question after discussing with a couple friends... is a national "forest" the same as a national "park"? there are towns in national forests but not in a national park... If you lived in one of those towns you couldn't carry?
    Glock 26 edc in Crossbreed Supertuck or SmartCarry when the situation calls for it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOAF View Post
    here's my question after discussing with a couple friends... is a national "forest" the same as a national "park"? there are towns in national forests but not in a national park... If you lived in one of those towns you couldn't carry?
    No, currently it is legal to carry in a National Forest http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/general_...20NF_Lands.pdf but carry into National Parks will have to hold off until after the first of the year.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Pisgah National Forest in NC. You may CC or OC a handgun in .22 LR only...NOT .22 magnum. I do it all the time. If you don't believe me just call the Ranger Station at 828-877-8265 and ask for a ranger. This does NOT apply to the Blue Ridge Parkway or Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

.22 lr only? what about 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by LOAF View Post
    .22 lr only? what about 9mm?
    Yup, 22LR only. Be thankful they didn't specify .17 or some dead caliber.

I don't know about yall but as for me, I'm not prancing around in the
    dern woods without any protection. What the heck are you gona do
    when a big black bear starts sizing you up for lunch? I might be breaking the law but at least I want be lunch.

New to the site here. Is the .22 lr restriction you are talking about the one on gamelands in NC? That restriction was removed as of July 1st. You can now carry CC or OC any caliber you want. Check the new regulation manual and you will see that the caliber restriction has been removed. It was voted on last spring and passed. If you stay in a campground I would check their listed rules as well. BTW, as far as I know all National Forests are also considered Gamelands in NC. As stated earlier parks are totally different. Beautiful part of our state, enjoy!

I'm having PDF problems, maybe I can find it and post more info later.

You're kidding, right? Black bears don't eat people. They very rarely attack humans - at least not adult size humans. Small children they may see as prey.

Without protection - that I understand. But the most dangerous animals in the world are... humans.

Quote Originally Posted by 76TR6 View Post
    I don't know about yall but as for me, I'm not prancing around in the
    dern woods without any protection. What the heck are you gona do
    when a big black bear starts sizing you up for lunch? I might be breaking the law but at least I want be lunch.

chiefjason...I'm missing something here. I've tried to find something in the new laws about removing the .22 limitation but in the link...http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_regs/..._Gamelands.pdf
    of the new rules it seems to still be there on the first page under weapons. I called the Pisgah Forest Rangers but I'm waiting for their return call. It would sure tickle me to be able to carry the 9mm when I'm hiking.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wpeeler View Post
    chiefjason...I'm missing something here. I've tried to find something in the new laws about removing the .22 limitation but in the link...http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_regs/..._Gamelands.pdf
    of the new rules it seems to still be there on the first page under weapons. I called the Pisgah Forest Rangers but I'm waiting for their return call. It would sure tickle me to be able to carry the 9mm when I'm hiking.

Wayne
    I'm trying to figure out how that paragraph jives with this new rule/law.

H29)
    Remove restrictions on firearms allowed on game lands during open hunting seasons but while big game seasons are closed.
    15A NCAC 10D .0102 General Regulations Regarding Use
    Adopted

It's here on page 8

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Documents/...tions_0309.pdf

If you noticed they removed the general restriciton of firearms paragraph that was above the one you mention. But by leaveing that one in they made it more confusing than it was. We actually pay these folks? By mentioning open hunting season in the above statement it should refer to the seasons that are always open, IE coyote, crow, etc. Part of this passing was to encourage coyote hunting outside of big game seasons. Who wants to hunt a coyote with a 22 lr? Let me know how that phone call goes, I intend to carry based on the adopted rule. I'll try to get some clarification too.

What about rifles in Pisgah NF?

I'm doing some backcountry camping in Pisgah NF. i would like to bring my rifle. Does anyone know if, as long as its in soft case, I can carry it on my pack.
    Please any answers would be helpful or at least shoot me in the right direction of someone who can give me an answer.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links