Moving from Indiana To Tennessee

This is a discussion on Moving from Indiana To Tennessee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll make a long story short, i'm moving to Tennessee in 7 months, and have time to plan. First thought of course is going from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Indiana To Tennessee

Moving from Indiana To Tennessee

I'll make a long story short, i'm moving to Tennessee in 7 months, and have time to plan. First thought of course is going from a free state to a quasi free state and how I go about going without the right to carry. Most states has a clause saying you have to have lived there for x amount of time before getting a permit, however I can't find one for TN. Could someone shed some light on the subject?

Do I need to be a resident for x amount of months, or can I apply when I get there after of course taking a class? IF I've got to wait, is my Indiana permit still valid, even though I don't live in Indiana?
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't know about TN length of residency requirements. As far as your Indiana permit, once you establish residency in another state you are no longer a resident of Indiana, so your Indiana resident permit would be void. best bet would be get a non-resident permit from a state TN honors, to carry you over until you can get your TN permit.

Get a FL permit now, and then apply for a TN permit when you become a resident...look here...hit TN and read... Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As soon as you get a drivers license you are good to go gotta take the class then wait 90 days or 5 weeks if you are smart hehehehe.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Yup. No residency term requirement. Good to go after getting a DL.
    As mentioned, reciprocity would hold you for awhile too.

Welcome to TN. Which part of the state you heading for?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

TN honors all states permits ,just like KY,AK,TX,and a few others!You should be good to go until you establish residency in TN.

I am just dying to know why you think Indiana is more free than TN!

Indiana dos'nt have a thing on Tennessee,
    There are only eleven states in the Union that have a higher tax burden than Indiana,there are only three that have lower taxes than Tennessee!

IMHO You are moving to one of the best states in the Union!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    TN honors all states permits ,just like KY,AK,TX,and a few others!You should be good to go until you establish residency in TN.

There are only eleven states in the Union that have a higher tax burden than Indiana,there are only three that have lower taxes than Tennessee!

+1
    "Don't Tread on Me"

so heres my question i most likely wont get a permit in ca but if i go to say arizona and get a non resadent permit can i carry in california

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly510 View Post
    so heres my question i most likely wont get a permit in ca but if i go to say arizona and get a non resadent permit can i carry in california
    Look here...(I think your answer is no.)
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Tennessee not free???

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    I'll make a long story short, i'm moving to Tennessee in 7 months, and have time to plan. First thought of course is going from a free state to a quasi free state and how I go about going without the right to carry. Most states has a clause saying you have to have lived there for x amount of time before getting a permit, however I can't find one for TN. Could someone shed some light on the subject?

Do I need to be a resident for x amount of months, or can I apply when I get there after of course taking a class? IF I've got to wait, is my Indiana permit still valid, even though I don't live in Indiana?
    You can open carry in Tennessee, just try that in Indiana.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post

Put me down as another TN resident that agrees with this. And I am from Indiana. Born and raised in Indiana. I still love Indiana but honestly, it doesn't have anything on TN. We have no state income tax. Open Carry is 100% legal everywhere in the state. Our gun laws are getting better every year. I-40 through Tennessee is consistently voted as the best maintained and smoothest interstate by the nations truck drivers. The state has some of the most beautiful sights in the country, from the flatter areas here in the West end of the state to the Smoky Mountains in the East.

Tennessee is a great place to live. Come on down and enjoy.

By the way, what part of Tennessee are you moving to?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    You can open carry in Tennessee, just try that in Indiana.
    We do every day. Most sheep never even notice.

Thanks for the great advice, and yes, imho TN is the best state in the Union. I'm moving home, though I've never lived there, if that makes any sense. However, I'll explain the Free state. In Indiana, when I went for my permit, I was asked two questions. "Are you an American" Which I gratefully answered yes. Then I was asked "why do you want a handgun permit" which I responded "Because I'm an American" I signed two papers, got my fingers inked and 3 weeks later I could carry open/concealed. The police in my town down question my open carry, nor do they in most cities here. I can pack at a bar, I can pack almost anywhere and no sign can stop me, unless of course I'm asked to leave.

That, my friends is freedom. However, I prefer Tennessee culture to Indiana for multiple reasons, and I'll jump the hoops to carry as I have here for years. Someone asked where in TN, I'm moving to Maryville-ish to eastern boarder somewhere in the mountains, once I find a few acre plot. We've got to stay within 30-40 miles of Knoxville for our Jobs, but other than that it's wherever.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

And what the heck is "intent to go armed" Of course I intend to go armed... Clarification?

VIP Member
    Cool beans on "murville" that is the correct pronunciation that's my home town!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links