accidental discharges

accidental discharges

This is a discussion on accidental discharges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; at the risk of once again being called immature by two on this discussion, i would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had an accidental ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

accidental discharges

at the risk of once again being called immature by two on this discussion, i would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had an accidental discharge of their weapon. to the aforementioned two gentlemen, i would remind them of a quote by george santayana, i.e., " those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it." i'm just trying not to repeat any mistake already made.......

Just a reminder..........there are no 'accidental discharges'...they are negligent discharges. Search the internet with keywords. Here's a start:
    Negligent Discharge
    I've sworn to myself to never have one of those or have a lapse of safety habits I've made since my earliest days of handling guns and being around those who might handle guns carelessly, and reading the headlines about what's happened to others.

Sorry, can't help you as I have never had one.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Had an AD many years ago, after cleaning my Bersa .22 I dropped a round in the chamber and released the slide stop, when the slide slammed forward the round went off. Since the gun was pointed at the floor the bullet went through the floor and into the dirt under the house. Examining the spent casing there were no marks anywhere on the rim, talked to a gunsmith later he informed some .22s are more sensitive than others but to NEVER load any weapon without using the magazine.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Never had an accidental discharge nor a negligent discharge. Always keep your weapons maintained and follow the rules for safe gun handling. Makes it extremely unlikely you'll ever have an AD, unless a part just fails with no prior warning. There's no reason to ever have an ND.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Never had one. In my view a true 'accidental' discharge is rare (such as the one above). If your gun fires due to a manufacturing defect in the gun or the ammunition, that is one thing, and I can accept that as long as you had it pointed in a safe direction.

Having a gun unintentionally discharge because you pulled the trigger not knowing it was loaded is a completely different thing. Having this happen, in my view, shows that a person does not take firearms seriously enough. I'm sure there are people who had this happen and took it as a valuable lesson and changed their attitude towards safety, but if they didn't they probably should find a different hobby.

Safety is something you have to internalize, and practice 24/7 365. Every time you are handling firearms you must be thinking about safety above all else*. If you do this, you will not have a ND.

*Yes, even in a SD situation. In that case safety = not accidentally shooting innocents or yourself while taking out the BG.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I did have a ND almost 40 years ago. I will always remember it, I was not being safety conscious, it was foolish, no one was injured, but it has since strengthened my awareness of firearms. It was during hunting season up in the Nothern areas of MI. It was in the woods; I will never forget it.

Stay armed...learn from your mistakes...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a ND in Iraq. Does that count? I acci...I mean negligently launched a 40mm MK19 grenade into the town behind our base. Oops...my bad.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Always keep your weapons maintained and follow the rules for safe gun handling. Makes it extremely unlikely you'll ever have an AD, unless a part just fails with no prior warning. There's no reason to ever have an ND.

Exactly.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by douggr View Post
    I had a ND in Iraq. Does that count? I acci...I mean negligently launched a 40mm MK19 grenade into the town behind our base. Oops...my bad.
    ...OK, just this once we'll give you a pass.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Plinking with a Beretta U22 Neos (their spacegun 22 pistol), I had the slide locked back and inserted a 22LR shell into the barrel (it had been a misfeed and I thought I would use it up).

I honestly believe that I read or was told that it was OK to release the slide in such a situation... Predictably had I thought about it, the primer ignited from the slide slamming forward and the bullet shot downrange. Oops.

By God's grace I had the barrel pointed just below the target so no harm was done except to my ego. But I do NOT recommend this procedure, unless of course you have no magazine and need to shoot a bad guy.
    Attached Images
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

When I was a kid my dad kept a loaded .22 Colt Challenger semi-auto in his bedside drawer. Once in a great while he'd take my brother and I shooting with it and a Marlin .22 lever gun. I felt pretty "cool" having shot that pistol, and used to look at it from time to time when nobody was around. One day when I was around 12 years old, my younger sister and her friend were hanging around and we ended up in my parents' room, as there were guests in the main rooms of the house. I was showing off to the girls, and I showed them how to rack the slide. Then I showed them how to unload the gun by removing the magazine. While I was next explaining how you never point a gun at someone, even if it's unloaded, I discharged the chambered round into the wall. l pretty much went into shock after that, the world began moving in slow motion, and my mom came running in to see what happened. She had to tend to her guests, so she soon went back downstairs. I was left alone in the room, and lay on the bed in disbelief and embarrassment. My mom came back later, sat beside me and held me and said, "Pretty scary, huh?" to which I nodded and began to cry.

This is probably more of a "teach your kids" lesson than an AD or ND lesson. I was a very mechanically-minded child, had disassembled and reassembled many devices by then, but still hadn't really learned the real internal functioning of a handgun. Also, though I knew basic safety rules, I still let the allure of "cool" come before them. Many kids will do that, if the right (or wrong) person gains influence over them.

I believe if we had gone shooting more often, I would have been more aware of the rules, and less inclined to "show off". So far this has proven true with my own children (we have 7); they get to shoot fairly often, and never seem to give my guns a second glance (no pistols in my life yet- still waiting on the permit.) The only time any child shows interest at all is when the teenager suspects there's an animal or bad guy outside, in which case he'll grab the unloaded Marlin .22 semi-auto just to help him feel "brave". And I immediately tell him to put it away.

Anyway, that's my story. I don't plan to repeat it, or to allow any of my children to repeat it. It does bring up a good point, though, about kids. They will get into every nook and cranny of your home, every shoebox at the top of the linen closet, duffel bag in the garage, footlocker in the basement. I knew every single inch of my parents' house. Don't think that out of sight is out of mind with kids. They WILL find an opportunity to snoop, and you may not know they're doing it. It's better to train them so that you can trust them to be alone with your gun, because they WILL be alone with your gun, at some time (unless you're REALLY strict and keep all guns in the safe - in which case, what good are they?)

No such thing as an "Accidental Discharge", period.

I did that once with a .50 cal. Could of sworn there was a VC behind that Water Bo.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    No such thing as an "Accidental Discharge", period.
    I beg to differ, if the weapon has a mechanical malfunction that is not the operators fault, then it is an AD (for instance with some full auto open bolt weapons the trigger sear can wear down with use, to the point it stops catching the bolt during firing, which is know as a "runaway gun", and is not the operators fault). If the operator did something stupid like not keeping his booger hook of the bang switch and caused the discharge it is an ND.

I had someone ND with a .50 cal in Iraq, sending a very large bullet much closer to my head than I would have preferred, not a very fun experience.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links