Question about "sharing" a gun.

This is a discussion on Question about "sharing" a gun. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SamRudolph The only problem with having a wife who has a carry permit is that sometimes guns of mine get appropriated and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about "sharing" a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    The only problem with having a wife who has a carry permit is that sometimes guns of mine get appropriated and disappear.
    OK here is the question. In Michigan OC is legal but I believe that if you do not have a CPL you can only carry a hand gun that is registered to you. In other words the pistol permit is issued to the owner only!

From what I was told in my CPL class, a person with a CPL can carry any gun he obtains legally. In other words it's OK to borrow the spouses, or a friends.

So the question is how is this handled in other states. Can anyone loan a handgun to a friend or spouse? Does the friend have to have a CPL? If it's a spouse does the pistol permit apply to them even if it's issued in your name?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    In AZ the pistol didn't have to be registered to you. I believe, here in CO it is the same way...though I don't know for sure.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Same in Nevada, you just have to have qualified with the same make model and caliber. It doesn't have the serial on the permit. It's stupid though because for every gun I purchase I have to go back and pay $25 to qualify with it to add it to my permit.

In Connecticut there is no handgun registration and no particular handgun is connected to our carry permit.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

In Washington, if the recipient is legal to possess the firearm themselves, you can give/sell/loan them anything you want, no license, no paperwork.

Open carry without a license is legal in Washington as well (excpet in vehicles).

In FL you can use any weapon if you have your CCW permit. That includes guns, pepper spray, or even 'switch blade knives'.
    If you don't have your permit, then the loaded gun must stay in the glove box instead of on your person.
    No gun registration or no silly safety permits...

Stay armed...you can be in FL...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Indiana I can carry any handgun that I legally possess. I don't have to own it, it can be loaned to me.

In New Mexico, if you're over age 18, open carry is legal by anyone for whom possessing a firearm is legal, and anywhere having a firearm is legal. If you have a concealed handgun license you can carry one concealed handgun of the type(s) (wheel or semi-auto) and up to the maximum caliber(s) for which you have shot and passed qualifying tests. In either case there's no mention (and hence no restriction) on who owns the gun. The rules for under age 19 are more restrictive.

We were told the same thing in my CPL class, but shortly following this info, the officer teaching the class said, "why you would lend out your guns, i don't know". I'm not sure i see this coming in handy for me any time soon. I would have to be pretty damn close to someone to trust them with my Glock...and most of those friends already have their own.
    One time i might see it coming in handy is, since there's no limit on how many you can carry here in MI, if you were to have a couple of beers while the gun was in the car. In theory, you could "loan" the gun to your friend w/out a BAC until you got home. I have a feeling the gun would still be seen as "yours" by a LEO. Not an issue here, as i can just lock it up in the trunk if that's the case.

In the People's Republic of Illinois - you must have a F.O.I.D. = Firearm Owners IDentification.
    No testing, registration of firearm just pay your taxes - er, fees.

But you cannot give the gun to anyone without a FOID.
    If you want to get techincal it should be called in the the SS, I mean State Police, since it is a "transfer"

This has caused issues at gun shows in our lovely state, as you are not supposed to handle a gun unless the dealer has verified you have a valid FOID.

Now as a side question, can I loan you my car without checking your drivers license? More people are killed/murdered by auto's than guns every year (except Wash DC of course.).

In NY you must register the firearm under your name. A gun can be put on multiple permits however only one person is the registered owner of that gun. I have most of mine on a friends license just in case anything happens to me. That way the sheriffs office doesn't show up two weeks after my death to confiscate them.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    In Washington, if the recipient is legal to possess the firearm themselves, you can give/sell/loan them anything you want, no license, no paperwork.

Open carry without a license is legal in Washington as well (excpet in vehicles).
    Oregon is the same, except we can open carry in vehicles (a few cities require CHL to open carry )

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    "why you would lend out your guns, i don't know". I'm not sure i see this coming in handy for me any time soon. I would have to be pretty damn close to someone to trust them with my Glock...and most of those
    an example might be this, since here in Washington, you can loan out a gun to a freind...

A freind is going camping, and would like to borrow some guns just to plink with while up camping. borrows several revolvers, semi's, and rifles...no problem legally.

Your right in the fact that the freind has to be very close and the loanee has to be very trusting...

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    In AZ the pistol didn't have to be registered to you. I believe, here in CO it is the same way...though I don't know for sure.
    There is no registration in Colorado. And the CHP identifies you, not the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    "why you would lend out your guns, i don't know". I'm not sure i see this coming in handy for me any time soon.
    Well the biggest thing I see is in states where Open carry is normal, does the gun have to be registered to the carrier?

Since I have a CPL in Michigan I can carry any legal gun, my mother however cannot borrow mine to shoot at a range since she does not have a CPL and the gun is not hers.

Kinda of makes you wonder how the sporting goods stores here can rent a gun, except I guess since it is used on private property it OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links