Home Study CCW Safety Course

This is a discussion on Home Study CCW Safety Course within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all! I'm sure you saw the post about the shop in Roanoke, VA that has online safety training that mmeets va requirements for both ...

Thread: Home Study CCW Safety Course

Home Study CCW Safety Course

Hello all!
    I'm sure you saw the post about the shop in Roanoke, VA that has online safety training that mmeets va requirements for both a resident and non-resident permit

With the 1 July Virginia law change allowing online, electronic, home study etc. firearms safety courses to be used for getting a CCW permit I’m SURE they’ll be bunches of folks jumping on the internet training bandwagon!
    The one U got to check out is Welcome! I know the owner/chief instructor for this home study course and I attended one of his classes he gives locally. He’s been teaching local classes as a NRA instructor for a while now from his own place just outside of Front Royal, VA and also has a small gun shop selling handguns and CCW gear. He’s providing REAL NRA Pistol Student packets to those who register for a home study safety course…something you can keep to use later down the road.

He is passionate about proper NRA training and set up Welcome! to try and get quality information out to those seeking a course that qualifies them for a CCW.

2. Remove Ads

I have mixed feelings about home study but if it's legal so be it. I prefer face to face training if at all possible. Sometimes you see a question in the eyes of a student that they might not voice if you don't ask them. On the other hand sometimes instructors are few and far between so getting to one is a major hardship to people. I think the process should be as simple and as inexpensive as possible like in Vermont or Alaska.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Where and how are these accepted/documented?

VIP Member

Adopt the Alaska model

In Virginia a Hunter Safety course qualifies. Any Honorable Discharged Vet qualifies.

IMHO, there should be NO training requirements.

RKBA and concealed carry should be a right that you have to lose -- through a JUDICIAL BRANCH process not a privilege you need to earn through an ADMINISTRATIVE BRANCH bureaucratic process.

It should be about criminal and mental health bars to ownership and CC -- only.

All States should adopt the Alaska model.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

+1. The CCW courses don't instill safety or markmanship and instructors will pass students who shouldn't be carrying b/c they are unsafe or can't shoot worth a darn(seen it done) - otherwise they don't get paid. So what's the point of having a qualification test? Time spent in classes on types of firearms, cleaning firearms and related stuff is wasted and too little time is spent on legal aspects. Those subjects are for another course and should already be ingrained before carrying.

Cool

Stupid idea.

I think this would only be a good idea if you had some sort of face to face training already and wanted something to brush up on. But as far as just taking an online course...not the best option available.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

That link....Welcome....don't work!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    My first VA CHP class was pretty bad, and it was not an online class. The teacher said multiple things about the law which are simply not true, and didn't say anything at all about use of force law. It was pretty useless.

A year later I took a class from someone else to meet the Utah requirements, though the class is taught as a 'combined' one for people who want either. It took the same amount of time and cost about the same, but the difference was incredible. This class covered everything...holster choice, caliber/handgun choice, use of force, reciprocity, no-carry zones, etc. It was great.

I will not mention who taught the bad class, but the GOOD class is here (in NoVA): Welcome to Discover Shooting

Do I think an online class is okay? Well, I think that online or not doesn't say anything about the quality of the class. An online class like the first one I took wouldn't help, but one like the second would probably be just fine.

Of course, I don't think the law should require any class at all. "Shall not be infringed" is pretty clear.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    Where and how are these accepted/documented?
    This is for VA the law went into effect on 1 July 2009 making on-line course valid for VA CC permit.

It was already being accepted in most counties before 1 July but was being turned down by a small few counties so the Legislature passed a bill so all would accept.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

I took the online video course at concealed-carry.net and found it to be adequate on safety and no-carry zones, but wanting on ccw methods, practicals, and legal. I've immersed myself in that on forums like this one and concealedcarryforum.com, and reading Massad Ayoob books every night. I was already proficient in handling from many range visits so didn't feel range time was important. My county (Loudoun) accepted the online class long before the law took effect, got my permit in 13 days.

Actually, I don't have a problem with the on-line course, anymore than a quick 2-4 hour course to get the original license.

I have always told friends, family, and neighbors...that getting the CCW permit and a firearm was just a beginning.
    I have always promoted the idea of a 2-4 day pistol SD course to get to really know your firearm.

So if the on-line course meets the 'big brother' reqirement to get your permit...so be it.

Let's not be so critical of doing this just to be able to do something that the Constitutions says you should be able to do freely without requirements, registration, permits, or taxes (fees).

Stay armed...it's a 2A thing with me...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    I took the online video course at concealed-carry.net and found it to be adequate on safety and no-carry zones, but wanting on ccw methods, practicals, and legal. I've immersed myself in that on forums like this one and concealedcarryforum.com, and reading Massad Ayoob books every night. I was already proficient in handling from many range visits so didn't feel range time was important. My county (Loudoun) accepted the online class long before the law took effect, got my permit in 13 days.
    CZ2075bd (see you're a CZ person of my same heart) Unfortunately, I have to say about the same about the CC class I took here (in IL). That is why I'm trying to learn on these forums. I had more than sufficient firearms training in the service, lots of live fire exercises don't ya know, so didn't need the course for the "training" criteria. But really wanted to know more about the what's and how's of CC.

Links