Carry on a military base

Carry on a military base

This is a discussion on Carry on a military base within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have tried to find out if it is OK to carry on Wright Patterson Air Base in Ohio if you have a licence, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry on a military base

Carry on a military base

I have tried to find out if it is OK to carry on Wright Patterson Air Base in Ohio if you have a licence, and can not find anything on it.
    Can anybody help me out on this?

Thanks Jim

Cool

It's federal property. I hope to visit the museum in a week or so. Haven't seen it since it was over on Patterson.

Most Base have a no gun on base except on housing in the home.
    It will be a Base commanders decision
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    yea, good luck with that one. Not a snowball chance in *%$@. Even housed on base I couldn't keep guns and they had to be checked in to the armory. To my knowledge (I could be wrong), off duty security police don't even carry and are required to check their weapons in to the armory.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

EW3
    No carry on Federal property.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Nope, You'll have to check it into the Armory, do your business and check it out as you are leaving. I do this a lot when TDY. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes the first time because they don't do it that often. Eventually they get the hang of it and you can call and tell them you are on the way. They'll have the papers and gun ready when you walk up to the window.

jbs
    not allowed to carry on Fed property (base). Can transport on base to range or house if base housing, not dorms. Of course that is up to the base commander. Must be in case or zipped bag, unloaded and they would like you not to make stops without someone watching the vehicle. McDill SP's have recommended storage in trunk for overnight in TLF for one night (over weekend) and i don't believe that was official policy. You could call security forces at wright pat and ask.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    There is no carry on a military base, per federal and military law without prior written permission from the base commander. My father a retired Military member and LEO did find that this also varies, LEO's fall under the LEOSA act of 2004. Needless to say this then was up to the onduty SP shift supervisor whether he had to lock it in his trunk, could carry, or store in the armory.
    Over all unless you are a LEO no.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

At McGuire AFB in NJ you could have them in a safe at home.
    Even hand guns but were not allowed to be carried on Base..
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    Generally speaking carrying on base is prohibited. While I'm retired military, I avoid the nearest base because of that rule. Haven't been on base in over a year.

My family and I lived on a military base for 7 years, it was extremely isolated...guns were not an issue. I was a school administrator and treated like an officer for housing and other base privileges. The base provided a space for a shooting range and a skeet range. There were no issues for storage at home, no gun registration, and with almost 6,000 people on the island...no gun incidents that I was ever aware of...

Gotta' love Florida, but Alaska wasn't bad either...except for the snow.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No carry on Federal Property, even for LEOs unless given permission by the base commander. Besides, the chance of running into a BG on a military base are slim to none since everyone is checked at the gate. Then there's the presence of security forces. Having been a military member for 23 years, I think it's much safer on base than off base.

there are signs posted at my nearest base outside every gate "No Concealed Weapons."

My uncle, Ret. Army LTC, had his concealed LCP and we went on base and he saw the signs/forgot he had the pistol, and he immediately looped around and drove 20+ minutes back home to put it up before he returned.

Chances are there would be no issues, but that, I am sure, is one melluvahess if there is an issue...on federal property that be..

I am retired from civil service at WPAFB and my wife still works there. The answer to your question about carrying on Wright-Patt is definately a resounding NO!! Don't even think about it! It is also illegal to have it locked in your car. There are constant questions to the base commander about people with concealed carry permits wanting to leave their guns locked in their vehicles while they are at work. The answer is NO.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links