Heading out to Sturgis

This is a discussion on Heading out to Sturgis within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I leave on fri. morning. I went to hangunlaws.us and it wont give me the info I need on MN. The only thing I really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading out to Sturgis

Heading out to Sturgis

I leave on fri. morning. I went to hangunlaws.us and it wont give me the info I need on MN. The only thing I really need to know is if I need to inforn an LEO of the fact that I am carrying. I am just passing thru MN on my way to SD. The only thing I am concerned about is if I get pulled over for speeding (I speed a lot). As a matter of fact I didnt see if I need to inform in SD either.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
    I leave on fri. morning. I went to hangunlaws.us and it wont give me the info I need on MN. The only thing I really need to know is if I need to inforn an LEO of the fact that I am carrying. I am just passing thru MN on my way to SD. The only thing I am concerned about is if I get pulled over for speeding (I speed a lot). As a matter of fact I didnt see if I need to inform in SD either.
    (1) MN does not require you to notify.
    (2) MN does not honor Iowa's permit.
    (3) You'll have a lot less grief if you pay attention to the speed limit(s).

The info in 1 and 2 are plainly on the handgunlaw.us web site. 1 at the very top of the page and 2 the first section down.

I have no sympathy for speeders who get caught, carrying or not. Makes me wonder what other laws you think don't apply to you. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Cardinal Rule: Only break ONE law at a time.
    Sturgis has gotten way too big for me, but have fun. Obey the law to the letter up there, the locals enforce everything. Watch out for the .50 caliber grasshoppers when you're riding across the plains!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Lowdog,

You'll find that there are many here, including myself, that consider breaking the law, any law, yes, even speeding, to be a bad thing. We maintain our right to keep and bear arms by being law abiding citizens. Admitting that you willfully break any law is frowned upon.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

What they said.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    (1) MN does not require you to notify.
    (2) MN does not honor Iowa's permit.
    (3) You'll have a lot less grief if you pay attention to the speed limit(s).

The info in 1 and 2 are plainly on the handgunlaw.us web site. 1 at the very top of the page and 2 the first section down.

I have no sympathy for speeders who get caught, carrying or not. Makes me wonder what other laws you think don't apply to you. :)
    I forgot to mention that I have a utah permit as well. By the way thanks for the advice on the speeding, you have opened my eyes. Thank You so much.

Utah is good, no notification required, good for open OR concealed carry. Wave when you go by!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Be safe and enjoy !
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Re: speeding - as a young man I made it from here to there as fast as I could. In LA traffic, this usually meant lane changes and tight fits rather than speed, but it was still over the line. My grey hair has taught me that driving sedately will get me there with good blood pressure, safely, and later than the hotblood by mere minutes. Often I'll pull up right behind the speeder at the next light, for instance. Considering the close calls I've had when folks in front of me stop suddenly or deer pop out from the brush, I believe that my 'old-guy' driving has saved me at least a few accidents.

The comments above about flaunting the laws are legit, but this might help, too. Not to mention the old (and perfectly valid) statement, "If you don't want to fear authority, do what is right and you'll receive praise from them instead."
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Whats the big rush anyway?

Life is so full of dead lines, why not enjoy the time off from the day to day rush. Sounds like you would have to be on vacation to make a trip like that. Take you time and enjoy the views!

America is a pretty place.........Check it out!!!
    [One Nation Under God]

You won't be speeding once you get to the Sturgis area. Construction on I-90 between Rapid City and Sturgis. Down to 1 lane both directions.
    You also won't be speeding around the Black Hills during Rally. Bumper to bumper traffic everywhere.
    183 FBINA

I wouldn't do much speeding on I-90 right now. Fed grant kicked in to local PD/SO's for seatbelt enforcement. Watched one Deputy yesterday make 5 stops and never moved more than 100yds.

For a more enjoyable ride, take some of the back roads, but remember it is construction season . Give me a wave when you go by Jackson, MN.

Be safe,

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

not sure how this turned into a debate over my driving but whatever. just because I run ten over on an open freeway does that make me a bad person?? get a grip man

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Cardinal Rule: Only break ONE law at a time.
    Sturgis has gotten way too big for me, but have fun. Obey the law to the letter up there, the locals enforce everything. Watch out for the .50 caliber grasshoppers when you're riding across the plains!

Plus one - When you feel the hit on the windshield, you know it was large.. :-)

Slow down and enjoy the ride.. It's not about the destination, it's all about the ride.... :-)

anyone know what the state bird of SD is????
    it's the GRASSHOPPER.
    better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all dought
    abe lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links