Concealed carry S.O.B.

This is a discussion on Concealed carry S.O.B. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys anyone have any experience carrying there weapon of choice in a S.O.B.(small of back holster) either a Galco or a Desantis?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry S.O.B.

Concealed carry S.O.B.

Hey guys anyone have any experience carrying there weapon of choice in a S.O.B.(small of back holster) either a Galco or a Desantis?

2. Remove Ads

I don't really have any advice on a holster, but for some reason small of back wasn't the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

Not a good idea for several reasons: it's hard to conceal there except when standing ram rod straight or sitting in a seat(Then try and draw it while seated;-). It's almost impossible to retain or defend from a a snatch attempt. Dean Speir wrote a concise little manuscript "Paraplegia" that sums up the pitfalls of SOB carry.
    Look at strong side over the kidney carry.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

It's been years since I carried SOB, and even when I did, it was the more unconventional MOB method (palm out draw). Carried a full size 1911 this way. These days, I much prefer appendix carry to SOB carry for a few reasons. My girlfriend and I are currently looking for her SOB holster for G26. Galco always seems to come to mind in the SOB holsters, but there are others such as Mitch Rosen's ARG holster. Nothing wrong with SOB carry....it's whatever works best.

Well, I'm glad that you asked.
    I have several of these...
    FIST, INC.

It has become my favorite method of carry...IWB/SOB,with a 'palm out' draw.

The pic show the firearm over the spine, but I wear my off to the side over my right kidney...very comfortable, and an easy draw.
    Other may not like the carry, but I was introduced to it from several friends who carry their Glock-36's in this fashion (three of them work at the same gun shop).

I carry either my Kimber Ultra CDP, my Glock-36, or my KelTec P-3AT in this fashion. I have found it extremely comfortable, easy to draw from, and more concealed than other carry styles.
    I can actually put my hand on my weapon without anyone knowing or seeing what I am doing.

Each of us has to discover that 'niche' for CC...I've found mine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used to and find it the best for me.... however, I don't anymore because concealing (except in winter) is too difficult. Carried it just as REPSUPT99 describes.

I have a Galco SOB holster that I tried several years ago with my Officer's 1911. I didn't like it at all, so that holster is now in the infamous holster box on top of the gun safe. I've looked for another way to use it, and think it would be most useful mounted under the dash of my truck -- which says a lot.

The Galco holster carries palm-in with the slide horizontal. It for me isn't comfortable sitting, isn't easy to draw from, encourages sweeping your leg with the muzzle while drawing, and only conceals with a long jacket. I suppose it has its place, but I think there are much better options. I'd give the kidney carry a try if you really want SOB carry.

Somewhat off topic, here's my SOB concealed carry story from many years ago: I carried almost every day when I was in college, and one of the holsters I used then and now was a Bianchi X15 vertical shoulder holster (great holster, by the way). I carried under a sport coat, and easily concealed a Taurus PT-99. One day, I was standing at a copy machine, and an older graduate student gave me the friendly back slap as he walked by . . . and as my arm was forward to use the machine, his hand hit the Taurus square on. "You SOB," he said. I just smiled, and said, "I have a right, a license, and permission to carry here." He never said anything else about it, but my cover was blown.

As I've said before, those were the good old days.

CP Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I suggest that you run search, as we have discussed small of the back carry many times. And mostly, the opinions expressed are the same each time. There are some who have done so and like it, some who have done so and didn't like it, and then there's those like me, that will not consider it due to the safety problems. While granted it doesn't happen often, you do run a risk of spinal cord injury. Should you fall and land on your back/gun, you risk a spinal fracture, by itself not a huge problem (painful, and months of recovery), but should you injure the spinal cord, you run the risk of spending the rest of tour life in a wheel chair (hence RobL's comment about paraplegia), and the loss of sensation in one of the "fun" areas of the body. I can't tell you the relative risk, or how often it has happened. I believe that it hasn't been very frequent, but given the functional loss that could occur, I have no intention to try. However, it's a personal decision, and you should do what you feel is best for you. But I strongly recommend that you get all of the information that you can, so that you make an informed decision.

I have an old Dillon Gun leather model for my G23...I wear it occasionally over the spine but not real often. It could be dangerous, but odds are in your favor IMO. I primarily do like retsupt...over the kidney about the 5:15. It is very easy to access this way, and decently comfortable. It does tend to make noise on hard chairs and/or get caught sometimes. Just gotta be careful. It is an occasional piece but I got it very cheap on ebay.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    I have a Galco SOB holster that I tried several years ago . . . -- which says a lot.

The Galco holster . . . try if you really want SOB carry.

Somewhat off topic, here's my SOB concealed carry story from many years ago: I carried almost every day when I was in college, and one of the holsters I used then and now was a Bianchi X15 vertical shoulder holster (great holster, by the way). I carried under a sport coat, and easily concealed a Taurus PT-99. One day, I was standing at a copy machine, and an older graduate student gave me the friendly back slap as he walked by . . . and as my arm was forward to use the machine, his hand hit the Taurus square on. "You SOB," he said. I just smiled, and said, "I have a right, a license, and permission to carry here." He never said anything else about it, but my cover was blown.

As I've said before, those were the good old days.

CP Lincoln
    Were you wearing SOB or sholder holster
    SOB means small of back doesn't it?

Topic is timely as I am currently in the process of trying to decide for myself and get set up so I may start running drills and practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    Were you wearing SOB or sholder holster
    SOB means small of back doesn't it?

Topic is timely as I am currently in the process of trying to decide for myself and get set up so I may start running drills and practicing.
    Shoulder holster at the time of the story. His back slap hit on my left side at rib height. When he said, "You SOB," I didn't think for a minute that he meant "small of back"!!

If you're considering a Galco SOB holster, which is OWB, I would encourage you to look at any of the good pancake-style OWB holsters that are available. Some wear them as far back as 5 o'clock or even 5:30, so they are OWB in the same area as RESUPT99 is carrying. I think you will find them easy (maybe easier) to conceal than the Galco SOB, more comfortable, and more secure from a gun grab.

If you're not set on OWB, kidney carry sounds like it has some benefits although I haven't personally carried that way.

CP Lincoln

"Worst case makes Bad Law". Let's face it, no matter how you carry, there's a remote chance 'something' can go wrong, and someone somewhere will know somebody who had a mishap.
    I've carried a SOB with my full size Kimber 1911 for years and it's one of my favorite carry holsters, especially in cooler weather when I'm wearing a jacket. It's very easy to conceal, very comfortable, and fast/easy to draw. Another thing I like is, no matter what I'm wearing, if I don't turn my back on you, you'll never know I'm carrying. I've given talks in front of large groups of people, with no jacket, and nobody ever knew I was armed. So long as I didn't turn around, I was fine. Mines a Kirkpatrick, but they're all pretty similar. Just my $.02

CP Lincoln

Thanks. I'm still trying to decide. Going with the pocket holster for the immediate future. But looking for something I can carry something more practical in as time goes on.

Its very uncomfortable and conceals poorly. It is also hard to draw......

I tried Small-of-Back carry when I first started, palm out draw, with the slide at about a 45 degree angle. It fit my hand and was a comfortable draw, but it just was not comfortable for me to wear it as i do a lot of sitting. It was fine while walking, and I didn't even feel it while standing up. Now I do In-Waist-Band from 3-5:00 with a slight cant forward, and the full size 1911 Government Model blends pretty well since it has a pretty thin frame and single stack. IWB is comfortable and accessable sitting in cars or at desks, and with a good belt, it does fine while walking too. I always wear a sport coat, or one of several casual lightweight vests, even in Atlanta heat is not much of a problem. To each his own, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links