Kissimmee,Fl

This is a discussion on Kissimmee,Fl within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The family and I will be staying at a time share on Simpson Rd. the end of Sept. I was wondering if anyone is familiar ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kissimmee,Fl

Kissimmee,Fl

The family and I will be staying at a time share on Simpson Rd. the end of Sept. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this area. We'll be going to the theme parks and such, but I'm more concerned with places to avoid.

Sorry if this subject has been beat to death, but I searched "Kissimmee" and nothing came up related to my questions.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Sorry I don't know Kissimmee very well, but you would be smart to stay away from the Orange Blossom Trail ( which is a road that runs north and south thru downtown Orlando, the Parramore area and Pine Hills area's of Orlando. Best advise is " if it don't look kosher, get a move on". Unfortunatley good old Central Florida is not a nice as it used to be.

Search for Orlando and disny / them park threads. There's lots of info. Avoid those places mentioned and welcome. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Enjoy your trip and remember that down here we consider Orlando an 'extra mags' city.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 30th, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was down there last year. Its wonderful in sept and oct. While we were there, there was a murder everyday in orlando, not a big deal, but one of them was in kissimee right near our time share ( gas station). Just keep your head up. Dont forget to go to arabian nights. If I remember correctly its on 192 just east of disney. Have fun and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Enjoy your trip and remember the down here we consider Orlando an 'extra mags' city.
    let me put emphasis on 'extra mags' and not 'extra mag' :) Miami is one of them, along with Ft Lauderdale for my area lol

Disney extends their Florida discount to GA residents also

Thanks for all the replies.

Was there in june. Had a blast. Be safe.

As already stated, most now consider Orlando and surrounding areas as high crime areas. Big city crime has come to the mouse.
    Plan accordingly.

Get It Clear on Stand Your Ground

Make sure you internalize Stand Your Ground.

1. If you are in a place where you have a legal right to be.
    2. You can use force against equal force up to and including Deadly Force.
    3. To Stop an immediate forceable felony.
    4. You have no duty to retreat.
    5. You can not be automatically arrested.
    6. You gun can not be immediately taken.
    7. Unless and until you are found guilty of criminal behavior, you can not be sued, and if they try, their attorney must pay your attorney's costs.

Note the following from this time last week.

Orange County man shoots, kills suspect who tried to rob him - OrlandoSentinel.com

Orange County man shoots, kills suspect who tried to rob him

Anika Myers Palm and Susan Jacobson
    Sentinel Staff Writers

9:34 PM EDT, July 25, 2009

An Orlando man turned the tables on two men he thought planned to rob him early Saturday, shooting one dead and holding the other for authorities, deputies said.

Miguel Jimenez, 56, told deputies he noticed two men waiting near his apartment at the Villa Tuscany complex on Sherwood Terrace Drive in west Orange County as he arrived home a little after midnight.

As he walked toward his apartment, one of the men pointed a handgun at Jimenez, who drew his own gun and fired, striking and killing Andri Benjamin, 18, who dropped his gun when he fell.

The second man approached Jimenez, who held him at gunpoint until deputies arrived. He was not arrested.

Neighbors said they heard two or three gunshots. One couple said they opened their door and saw a man lying in a pool of blood with another man standing over him holding a gun. They applauded Jimenez's actions but said they now feel uneasy about living at the complex.

Investigators plan to forward information on the shooting to the Sheriff's Office, but so far they don't think Jimenez did anything wrong. He has a concealed-weapons permit, they said.

"At this point, we believe he acted within the law," said Capt. Angelo Nieves, a sheriff's spokesman.

----------------------------------------------------------------

True, this was in Crime Hills, but note the last two paragraphs.
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; August 1st, 2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Add more info
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    Sorry I don't know Kissimmee very well, but you would be smart to stay away from the Orange Blossom Trail ( which is a road that runs north and south thru downtown Orlando, the Parramore area and Pine Hills area's of Orlando. Best advise is " if it don't look kosher, get a move on". Unfortunatley good old Central Florida is not a nice as it used to be.
    Orlando/Kissimmee is now on the top ten list of most violent crime infested cities in the USA if I am not mistaken, but that info is two years old, about the time that I had a whacko stick a big ole revolver in my nose at a traffic light - light turned green and I left him eating dust. Lucked out. Im not going to FL again until I can carry there and I have a problem in that I am a US citizen living in a variety of places, not able to call any one place my permanent residence. FL put through an amendment to their statutes that went all the way to their senate defining the qualifier as being a "citizen of the United States". Boy was I happy. Lo and behold it leaves the senate with type... someone decided that "citizen OR permanent resident" should read "citizen AND permanent resident" of the US. Guess "We the People" gotta live stateside or we're not part of the "People"?

I will be traveling to Kissimmee next February. I plan on hitting as many parks as possible. Disney, Universal, Sea World for sure, and I feel like I'm missing something in that list. But anyone carry there recently? I'm probably going to buy a Ruger LCP for the trip, and carry it in an ankle holster. I know the parks ban guns. I may feel safe in the parks, but in the parking lots at night is another thing. I also don't want to leave a gun in the car, in case the car were to get broken into.

So far I've only read things about Disney World...please share your experiences with all parks, but especially Sea World and other ones that aren't mentioned as much.

Also just to make 100% sure...signs mean nothing...so the only way I can legally get in trouble for bringing a gun to a place with a "No Gun" sign is if they see it, ask me to leave, and I ignore them?

For Disney, people say there are lots of security guards there. Are the guards carrying firearms? If they aren't, then they really won't do any good in protecting people.

Thanks guys.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I carry at Disney, typically a Glock 19 in a good secure IWB. There is unarmed security and uniformed LEOs at the gate, and from what I understand, plenty of plainclothed security. I don't rely on either for my security. Consider that you may get on a very "active" ride, you may get wet, and you will get sweaty. You may also be in a crowd that not only can bump into you, but will be a secondary target if you miss. Arm and holster accordingly. Bags are checked, occasionally thoroughly, but never a pat-down or a metal detector. I know two people that were refused entry because of folding knives clipped to their pocket. Both were allowed to lock them up at the Will-Call desk. I usually just drop mine into the pocket sans use of the clip. With the large amount of dark rides and large buildings, consider a good light. I live in Daytona and usually day-trip, but if I stay in the area I keep a few spare magazines around, just like I do anytime I'm away from the bunker. Do not miss Downtown Disney and the Marketplace, but do not not not go there unarmed. And don't miss eating at the Earl of Sandwich.

I have not recently been to Universal and Sea World, and so probably can't accurately comment. At Sea Wrold I did see a notice on the little parking pass that they give you that weapons were prohibited. It was in microscopic print on the back of the pass. It is the only written "no guns" statement I have ever seen at any of the parks, and I can't say for sure if it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    I will be traveling to Kissimmee next February. I plan on hitting as many parks as possible. Disney, Universal, Sea World for sure, and I feel like I'm missing something in that list. But anyone carry there recently? I'm probably going to buy a Ruger LCP for the trip, and carry it in an ankle holster. I know the parks ban guns. I may feel safe in the parks, but in the parking lots at night is another thing. I also don't want to leave a gun in the car, in case the car were to get broken into.

So far I've only read things about Disney World...please share your experiences with all parks, but especially Sea World and other ones that aren't mentioned as much.

Also just to make 100% sure...signs mean nothing...so the only way I can legally get in trouble for bringing a gun to a place with a "No Gun" sign is if they see it, ask me to leave, and I ignore them?

That is correct.

For Disney, people say there are lots of security guards there. Are the guards carrying firearms? Orange County deputies are all over the place (but you will not likely see them), and they are armed. If they aren't, then they really won't do any good in protecting people.

Thanks guys.
    Hope that helps.
    As was indicated, you will likely get wet. The big concern for me would not be in the park, but the parking lot and all the rest of O'town.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links