Illinois FOID cards

Illinois FOID cards

This is a discussion on Illinois FOID cards within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; question, I go back home to Illinois a couple of time a year.... my daughter wants me to teach her to shoot as she is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Illinois FOID cards

question,
    I go back home to Illinois a couple of time a year....
    my daughter wants me to teach her to shoot as she is getting into law enforcement..
    I cannot buy ammo without a foid card and really do not want to transport 1000 rounds of ammo from Colorado.
    I have sent Illinois a e-mail asking if I can get an out of state resident foid card to be able to buy ammo there but they do not respond.
    can I get an out of state foid card????????
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Not sure what the foid card is. Is there some obscure law that says you cannot buy or possess that much ammo without it? Maybe you could source it in MO, assuming you are traveling from CO. At least you wouldn't have to pay for the extra gas to get it to IL. And one last thought...

Good luck finding 1000 rds of anything that isn't 22lr.

I lived in IL, and I'm pretty sure that FOID cards are just for IL residents.

No, you can't buy ammunition in IL without it, but you'd better get your ammo in CO, IF you can get it.

Ammunition shortages are starting to ease up, but I would not count on supplies.

Are you flying? Is that why you are disinclined to carry a case of ammo?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The FOID card is for illinois residents only. However you can purchase ammo in Mo. or Ia. with no problem. A better solution would be to have your daughter visit you in gun friendly Colorado.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

As far as I can tell, looking through the IL gun statues, the FOID requirement applies to the purchase and possession of ammunition and firearms by an Illinois resident. The possession of ammunition and/or firearms by an out of state resident is not illegal.

I do not believe that Illinois issues "non-resident" FOID cards. Therefore, you as an out of stater would not be able to purchase ammunition or firearms in the state of Illinois. You would however be legal to possess a firearm or ammunition in the state of Illinois if it was purchased legally in your home state, or purchased legally in another state.

I hope that answers some of your question.

As for the availability of ammo in Illinois, downstate most ammo is readily available. I've purchased 1K worth of pistol (.40) ammo at local retailers in the last couple of weeks.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

VIP Member
    Since your daughter lives in IL, have her get her FOID (if she doesn't have it already) and purchase the ammo with it, then you can reimburse her for it.

Correction to the above, a resident of an adjacent state could lawfully purchase a long arm from an FFL in IL.

When I lived there, Lake County gun shows had a lot of attendees from Wisconsin.

That being the case, I'm not sure if purchasing ammo, for a non-resident, would be illegal.

If Denver bear is flying to IL, airlines have weight limitations for ammo, 11 pounds for United.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    FOID's are only for residents. If you are a non-resident, you just need whatever your home state requires (how the sellers are supposed to know that beats me) and you can purchase ammo. How else could out of state hunters spend money in IL?

[I used to live in IL]

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    FOID's are only for residents. If you are a non-resident, you just need whatever your home state requires (how the sellers are supposed to know that beats me) and you can purchase ammo. How else could out of state hunters spend money in IL?

[I used to live in IL]
    when I visited Rockford last year when we went to the gun store they would not let me buy it without a foid card...
    I would think out of state hunters would fall under the same catogory as me...but then it is Illinois..........I miss Chicago but not the politic's.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

[I used to live in IL]
    Buying ammo is easy. I buy mine there and I live in Missouri just across the river from Quincy. All they ask for is my ID as that's all MO needs. No problems.

Here in Michigan I just go to the sport shop or Walmart, they never ask for ID or anything so far. Obviously they can see I am old enough, but I never have to show them anything. Buying nitrogen for the garden, however, required me to sign a log book. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since your daughter lives in IL, have her get her FOID (if she doesn't have it already) and purchase the ammo with it, then you can reimburse her for it.
    Funny thing, FOID wait, in IL. My wife got hers in two weeks, took me seven to get mine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    Funny thing, FOID wait, in IL. My wife got hers in two weeks, took me seven to get mine.
    Well mopar, the outlaw in your name slowed it down!

You don't need a FOID in IL if you are an out of state resident. IL will not issue out of state residents a FOID. Save your time and effort. Won't happen.
    Second, being an out of state resident you can buy ammo in IL without a FOID. However, if you go to some place like WallyWorld and ask some high school drop out clerk making minimum wage they'll ask for a FOID card because they don't know IL law. They've just been told to ask for a FOID card and they follow what they've been told. However, IL law allows for out of state residents to purchase ammo. It's not the law that prevents you from buying ammo but some employee who doesn't know any better. If you go to a gun shop that does a good amount of business they will most likely know you don't need a FOID.
    183 FBINA

Thumbs down FOID

[I used to live in IL]
    money?
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links