Teaching opportunity on "Deadliest Catch"

This is a discussion on Teaching opportunity on "Deadliest Catch" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife an I were laying in bed a few minutes ago watching Deadliest Catch and they showed a distress call about a boat that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching opportunity on "Deadliest Catch"

Teaching opportunity on "Deadliest Catch"

My wife an I were laying in bed a few minutes ago watching Deadliest Catch and they showed a distress call about a boat that had rolled 90 deg.

They showed a boat coming to help and she says "Why don't they just call the coast guard?" To which I responded... "And wait 4 hours?"

My wife is a Pediatrician and very anti-gun. It took 9 years for her to allow one in the house and it had to be unloaded, in a safe, in a locked room (not sure why it has to be in a locked room but so be it).

I then explained that this is why I want to carry. If you need a gun the cops are by definition too far away to help you.

The answer to her next question caught her guard. "When would you carry a gun anyway?" My answer... "I have every time I have left the house alone since it arrived."

She then rolled over and went to bed. Baby steps I guess.

2. Remove Ads

Ignorance is bliss for sheep.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would say she is probably more upset that you managed to keep secret something she absolutely hates from her for a period of time now.

Give her time. She'll get over it.

The sad thing is, now that she knows, the next lesson she is going to have to learn is that you are not superman or the cops and that you won't get involved in every illegal thing that happens in front of the two of you in public. That seems to be the opposite swing for people in her position. The automatic assumption that since you are a good guy that weapon suddenly gives you the power to intervene.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

She wants the gun in a locked room so It can't get out and go on a killing spree,haven't you heard guns kill people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    They showed a boat coming to help and she says "Why don't they just call the coast guard?" To which I responded... "And wait 4 hours?"
    The next county south of me is Pinal County (AZ), with a land area of 5370 square miles. I've done some training with sheriff's deputies from Pinal Co., and I found out that they usually have just three deputies on duty over night. I asked what the worst-case response time was, and the answer was "forty-five minutes at 100 miles an hour."

Mention that to your wife, and after she asks why anyone would want to live in such a place, ask her what the people who DO live there are supposed to do in an emergency AFTER they called 911.

Heck, you can make the point even in a suburb.

At the word "Go!" start a timer. Imagine you just woke up from a deep sleep to the sound of someone trying to open your back door. Simulate calling 911 and hide in your bedroom.

Now sit there and wait 5 minutes, which is a pretty good estimate of police response time to a B&E in progress.

If you are perfectly comfortable with the security of your house in keeping him out, or if you don't mind compying with every instruction he gives you as he robs or rapes or both... then hey, you don't need a gun!

If 5 minutes seems like forever, MAYBE you might want to get something to defend yourself with.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I saw that episode. Yes, it takes the Coast Guard time to get there, but you have to realize that in the mariner's world that there is a very long tradition of rendering assistance when possible. I used to do a lot of racing in sailboats and it was a given that the nearest boats where to provide assistance to a vessel in need. Otherwise, one could be disqualified for failure to provide assistance.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I saw that episode. Yes, it takes the Coast Guard time to get there, but you have to realize that in the mariner's world that there is a very long tradition of rendering assistance when possible. I used to do a lot of racing in sailboats and it was a given that the nearest boats where to provide assistance to a vessel in need. Otherwise, one could be disqualified for failure to provide assistance.
    "Mariner tradition" would not have conveyed the point I wanted to make AND the reason for the tradition is the reason stated. Organized help is too far away.

Also my wife called me a nut this morning for carrying a gun "everywhere." This may seem bad, but it wasn't overly aggressive and the longer it stays in her head the more normal it will seem.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    "Mariner tradition" would not have conveyed the point I wanted to make AND the reason for the tradition is the reason stated. Organized help is too far away.
    Ah, then you were using a bad example to try to make your point.

Having seen the episode and spent time on boats in Alaska, you don't call for the Coasties until you are definitely in trouble. The boat in question rolled, took on some water, but righted. The captain radioed that he "might" be in trouble. He was simply giving notice that he might be in need of help. He didn't issue a Mayday. He did not request help.

So why didn't the captain call the Coast
    guard? It wasn't because they are potentially hours away. It was because they were not in a distress situation requiring the Coast Guard
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Ah, then you were using a bad example to try to make your point.

Having seen the episode and spent time on boats in Alaska, you don't call for the Coasties until you are definitely in trouble. The boat in question rolled, took on some water, but righted. The captain radioed that he "might" be in trouble. He was simply giving notice that he might be in need of help. He didn't issue a Mayday. He did not request help.

So why didn't the captain call the Coast
    guard? It wasn't because they are potentially hours away. It was because they were not in a distress situation requiring the Coast Guard
    Shhhhh! Don't tell my wife.

Keep working on her, she'll come around...hopefully, not because of a personal experience.

My wife never could understand the need for a person to carry a firearm, and she felt this way for years, decades.
    It took lots of talking, many news reports, and then finally...a 'near experience' in a parking garage. Experience can change a lot of liberals.
    After 32 years she started to change her thinking. First she asked to get her CCW permit. She enjoyed the class and felt it was an eye-opener. Then she asked about getting a weapon. I made the mistake of getting her a snubbie which I thought would be perfect for her...wrong.
    Anyway, she started carrying (sometimes) a KelTec she found in the safe. She has since gone to a Glock-26 in a fanny pack...we're getting there (she still does not often carry). Her next goal is a pistol SD course...little steps.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retired medical person here. Spent many years at paediatric hospital.

'First do no harm' is for pt care and treatment. One which docs subscribe to. Rightfully so.

That said, self-protection and protection of family/loved ones requires being prepared for the unanticipated event.

Encourage spouse towards formal traing at 'Ladies Only' gun safety gun/use courses.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

Even if you can call 911 and the response time is only minutes, when LEO arrives 5 burley men won't breakdown your door and save you. Responding officers will control the area, setup a perimeter and save your immediate neighbors from stray rounds. Then they'll be on the radio with superiors to call in the takedown artists. Meanwhile you'll be solving your own problem or bleeding out. Guys, this is NOT a knock on LE! Procedure is procedure. You need to be your own first responder. Ask you wife what she would do if she witnessed a child in cardiac/respiratory arrest. Would she call 911 and stand back, or would she get it done herself? just my $.02

VIP Member
    another wife converter here too

mine wasn't anti but didn't understand why I wanted a CHL, and couldn't think of using my pistol or shotgun at the house to actually shoot another human being.
    I had her start reading the NRA's "Armed Citizen" and other such stories. That combined with seeing things in the local news, etc, and her thinking changed. Also, I had her think about a dirtbag or dirtbags busting in the house when I wasn't there and them coming in, beating her to a pulp, raping her, or worse. Then I had her picture us with a baby in the house too.

That completed the 180 turn. She now realized that there are people in the world that don't care what side of town you live on, how much money you make, what job you have, how old you are, male or female, have a really big nice house or a small one, drive a Lexus or a Yugo.....they are dirtbags and don't value your life, peace of mind, or what damage they do. The only way to intervene with these people is immediately, not a few minutes when LEO can get there. The only language they understand is a gun barrel pointed at their face.

fyi....wife is a nurse, and she can distinctly separate her compassion for helping people, caring for injured/sick from popping rounds in a scumbag when needed.

I hope it doesn't take your wife being assaulted, house broken into at night & you not being able to get to the gun in time for her to see the light. Good luck
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzleloader View Post
    Even if you can call 911 and the response time is only minutes, when LEO arrives 5 burley men won't breakdown your door and save you. Responding officers will control the area, setup a perimeter and save your immediate neighbors from stray rounds. Then they'll be on the radio with superiors to call in the takedown artists. Meanwhile you'll be solving your own problem or bleeding out. Guys, this is NOT a knock on LE! Procedure is procedure. You need to be your own first responder. Ask you wife what she would do if she witnessed a child in cardiac/respiratory arrest. Would she call 911 and stand back, or would she get it done herself? just my $.02
    thats not our procedure, but thats another topic
    by the way....welcome to the forum, get over the the new members intro area to make it official!!!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links