CC in San Francisco?

This is a discussion on CC in San Francisco? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, need some adivce regarding CC in San Francisco. I've heard that SF is so anti-gun, that if you carry there and are caught, it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in San Francisco?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

CC in San Francisco?

Hey, need some adivce regarding CC in San Francisco. I've heard that SF is so anti-gun, that if you carry there and are caught, it will be a royal pain to get your gun back.

I've searched SFPD and the web in general but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Since, I'll be visiting the city, i'd like to know what my options are.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

IANAL. Here is a discussion on the OpenCarry web site: click. Basically, CA has preemption, SFO has ordinances from A to Z criminalizing carrying of weapons, but I don't know if a definitive answer would occur outside a letter from the CA Attorney General stating the position though, even then, the courts might give it a whirl if you get caught by SFO hounds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a valid California CCW. To the best of my knowledge it is good throughout the whole state, except federal buildings, courthouses, etc. Since I have family in SF and visit frequently, I also have looked for any laws that prevent me from legally carrying my weapon in the city of San Francisco. I have not been able to find anything other than internet rumors.

IANAL, but I don't believe San Francisco has the legal right to trump state law. The law banning handgun ownership they passed a couple years ago was quickly shot down as unconstitutional. I think that sets a precedent that would apply to valid CCW holders also.

I have carried there and will continue to do so whenever I visit there. I have never had an encounter with LEO's there where I had to inform them I was carrying, and concealed is concealed, so the issue has never come up. I have no desire to be a "test case", but if the issue did come up and my weapon was confiscated without due cause, I would be on the phone to the best lawyer I could find right away.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

CCW9MM: Thanks for the link. The friends of the Court (amicus) brief burried in the OpenCarry thread was very helpful.

DEADHAWG: I appreciate the first-hand report. Based on what I've read in the above brief it seems that SF has no legal right to limit lawful concealed carry.

Glad I Carried

Here's the report on the trip through the rainbow city. CC'd all day. Cable Cars, Lunch in Chinatown, took the kids to the GG Bridge.

While in the line for the Cable Car, there had been some sort of problem: There were a half a dozen police and Fire Department. While watching to see what the hub-bub was, I noticed a bum looking guy hovering near the scene. Besides the generally crazy look in his eyes, what really got me on alert was the fact that he was carrying a razor blade in his hand. I don't know if he was the cause of the police and fire response, just ready to defend himself, or ready to do do harm to others.

I had my support hand on the pepper spray and my strong hand ready to go for the XD.

He wasn't the only crazy that we encountered that day, just the only one with a razor blade in the open.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    must suck living in commiefornia

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    must suck living in commiefornia
    Yes, but New Jersey makes me feel blessed.

amen brother

you know its great to be able to legally carry and all, but there are still alot of states that make it difficult for legally licensed folks to carry.

I mean with this restriction and that restriction, its a never ending task just finding what and where its legal to carry from state to state and so on.

just wish every state would combine efforts and say, " Hey if your licensed in your state to carry, then your permit is honored here".

No restrictions or hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    you know its great to be able to legally carry and all, but there are still alot of states that make it difficult for legally licensed folks to carry.

I mean with this restriction and that restriction, its a never ending task just finding what and where its legal to carry from state to state and so on.

just wish every state would combine efforts and say, " Hey if your licensed in your state to carry, then your permit is honored here".

No restrictions or hassle.
    There you go, looking for the simple perfect world again.

I don't think you're going to find SF friendly towards anything 'normal', including CC, but what's concealed is concealed.

Crazy town for sure...you can marry a goat or a sheep, but you better not have a weapon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not completely on subject but I think this gives an idea where San Francisco and California in general has their head as far as weapons carry goes.

Back in 1967, a fellow Marine was getting married in a full formal military ceremony on Treasure Island, California located in San Francisco Bay. Several of us were acting as an honor unit wearing dress blues, full medals and duty belts complete with scabbard and NCO sword. This of course was to provide a line of raised crossed swords which the married couple would walk beneath as they exited the chapel as man and wife. After the ceremony we broke up into groups and went our separate ways back to base or wherever. As some of us were renting an apartment in downtown San Francisco we proceeded by bus to the city to change clothes and go on liberty. While walking the few blocks down Market Street from the bus stop to our apartment we encountered one of San Francisco's finest who seemed to have been struck by lightening when he saw our swords which we had removed from our belts and carried in hand, but still encased in their scabbards. I honestly believe he actually made a move towards his gun but then thought better of it. He was obviously not pleased and I don't believe he knew what to do about the situation. You could almost feel his head spinning inside as he mulled his options over. After sometime, apparently his common sense kicked in and he realized three U. S. Marine Vietnam veterans in full dress uniform carrying ceremonial swords - they did have a point but no sharp edge, might not be as great a threat as he obviously first considered us. Anyway, he chewed us out for causing a panic . . . no one else on the street or on the bus reacted at all to our presence swords not withstanding, but him. Eventually he allowed us to go on our way with a stern warning. I can only surmise that he must have actually considered at some point arresting us for weapons possession. Even today forty some years later I can't believe it.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    There you go, looking for the simple perfect world again.
    Well, in reality we have eleven states that are that way, that either recognize EVERY states' carry license, or don't require a license to carry in the first place. Alaska and Vermont are the latter, and the states that recognize everyone's carry license are Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Utah. And this idea is spreading, as far as I can tell. So, the "perfect world" may be getting closer.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

If you are worried about losing the weapon in case you are probed by LEOs then, carrying something less expensive might be in order. Just be sure and be proficient with it OK?

We are talking Keltec or Rossi here.

You will never be advised to break the carry laws of any juristriction that you are in on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links