First Few Days Carrying With CCW

This is a discussion on First Few Days Carrying With CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up my first CCW permit Friday morning and have carried nonstop since then. Has been real interesting. First, I'm in CA and there are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picked up my first CCW permit Friday morning and have carried nonstop since then. Has been real interesting.

First, I'm in CA and there are such few ccw holders, nobody expects it or is looking for it. There appears to be NO postings anywhere forbidding it, unlike many of you in "shall issue" states where it is more common. That makes it much simpler.

Started with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster the first day. With dress slacks it didn't print like a gun, but there was clearly a big square lump in my pants. Not real comfortable. Next couple of days used my Desantis Stealth as an OWB by reversing the belt clip. This seemed to work better with dress slacks. Concealed just fine under a loose sweater. Today I'm wearing jeans and I moved the clip back and am wearing it IWB just fine. IWB seems much better with jeans than thin dress slacks. My hip is a little sore and I am very glad I have the lightweight PM9. I can't imagine you guys that pack 1911s. I do like the fact that the Stealth has a clip pouch so I am able to have 14 rounds available for a very small 9 mm with single stack clip.

Did the obligatory Walmart ammo run first day. Skipped the nachos due to low-carbing. Have been to Home Depot, Lowes, several resturants...no big deal.

Work has been great...nobody knows except a couple of other Realtors in our office that are also getting CCWs. At least 4 that I know of already have permits though they don't always carry. That makes probably 7-8 in our office that I know of (out of ~100) and there may be more since it's not something one generally discusses. No problem with company policy, our sales manager has had a CCW for years and occasionally packs. Had multiple client appointments and contacts each day including the weekend. Nobody seemed to notice anything.

Church on Sunday felt very strange. I was very glad we went back to choir robes a few weeks back, it felt very "safe" wearing a robe. When I didn't have my robe on, it felt like "everyone" was looking at my lumpy sweater. Was just my paranoia. Nobody had a clue.

Feels great to be legal. Feels great to be prepared. Feels great to be armed.

Glad you've been able to achieve this!

Your description of what it's like the first few times out sounds like mine. By in large, a "non-event." And that's how it should be.

Congrats, and keep carrying!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member

Congrats

on getting to carry in CA. I have an uncle there that does CCW as well. Have to jump through hoops like a circus tiger as I understand it. The longer you carry, the easier it gets. After a while you start to feel naked when you don't carry.
    Do check into the legal locations to carry. Claiming ignorance doesn't usually cut it with an officer.

Good luck. Love the avatar.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Outstanding! I too have just got my ccw. I got mine in the mail the same day you did. I have carried only when Not at work. I carried through a few stores and like you did the walmart run. It does take some getting used to for the hip to start to feel ok, but i have changed the belt i carry it on and things are getting better. Welcome to the family. Safe Shooting.

Ohh P.S are you carrying cocked and locked? If so how do you feel about that.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    congrats sounds like your off to a fine start , and i officaly approve of your little kahr too oO( only mad dogs and englishmen buy Rohrbaughs LOL )

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    Ohh P.S are you carrying cocked and locked? If so how do you feel about that.
    My first inclination was to carry with no round in the chamber. However, the more I have read and researched, I no longer think that is smart or safe. I can't count on having use of both hands in an emergency and may not have the time to manually rack the slide. Plus, per the manual, Kahr recommends chambering the first round by using the slide lock instead of racking by hand. By hand seems to not be as reliable.

I have fired almost 400 rounds through this little Kahr and I am convinced that the DAO trigger and the internal design of this gun makes it worthy to carry with one in the tube assuming a decent holster with trigger guard.

So, from the outset I have carried it with 6+1 loaded and ready with 7 more in the extra (longer) clip at front of holster.

Gratz, it does get easier as time go by. Been carrying for about 10 years (but having to change this past year the way that I carry).

When I first started to carry I did so with an ankle holster (which, ironicly, I'm back to) and found that it worked better on the Outside of my strong hand leg (not inside on weak side leg).

Before I got used to it, every now and then as I was walking too close to something you would hear a "thunk" as it hit on what I was passing :(.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DParker
    My first inclination was to carry with no round in the chamber. However, the more I have read and researched, I no longer think that is smart or safe. I can't count on having use of both hands in an emergency and may not have the time to manually rack the slide. Plus, per the manual, Kahr recommends chambering the first round by using the slide lock instead of racking by hand. By hand seems to not be as reliable.

I have fired almost 400 rounds through this little Kahr and I am convinced that the DAO trigger and the internal design of this gun makes it worthy to carry with one in the tube assuming a decent holster with trigger guard.

So, from the outset I have carried it with 6+1 loaded and ready with 7 more in the extra (longer) clip at front of holster.
    I carry my xd. and the first day i carried i diddnt carry with a round the chamber because i was still nervous i think but after fooling around with it cocked and unloaded i have come to see that thouse two safties are perfect and the chance of it firing is almost slim and none unless i pull the trigger
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Assistant Administrator
    Delighted you were able to get your CCW - sounds as tho early days are quickly becoming daily norm
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congratulations on the license, and the successfull first few days!

Good Job on the Wally World trip, that was a must do.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on the ccw good deal on first few days out .
    eventually after you carry awhile you might decide to go to a bigger guna nd then you will realize hey i could ahve packed this thing all along.

Some days a 1911 gets heavy but always rember if it runs out of ammo its a lot easyer to pistol whip someone with steel than polymer

Congrats on your CCW in Cali!!!! Once you get more comfortable you will realize that 99.99% of all people will be oblivious to you carrying. I have a Beretta 92 which is a very large gun. I have carried it a few times and no one gave me a second look.

VIP Member
    Excellent DP....after a while, donning your CCW will be a natural as donning a piece of clothing.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

First days

My first few days carrying felt very strange. I felt like everyone that looked at me knew I was carrying. I had taken a good training course so I knew very well that I do not want to have to pull my gun out and why I do not want to pull it out. The part to understand is that if you look around at the way society is these days nobody pays attention to anything anymore, we have become a society that doesn't talk to eachother face to face anymore. It is either on a cell phone or texting or email. Everyone is too busy to pay attention to how ones clothes might bulge a bit on their right hip.

My wife was not real keen on the idea of me carrying a gun so I did not tell her when I was carrying. She didn't even know until she gave me a hug and a kiss on that first day. I figured if she didn't notice I was doing pretty good. If someone out there knows how I can get my wife over the fear of guns and get her to the range let me know. She is a smart woman and carries pepper spray with her whenever she leaves the house but I would love to get her a little 9 and a CCW too. My 17 year old daughter can't wait to go to the range with me.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links