Defensive Carry banner

No gun signs

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  gdm320 
#1 ·
I copyed this from another forum

"in nc, a posted no firearm sign only applies to open carry. A sign to prohibit concealed carry must say "no concealed weapons" and must be a certain size. I can't remember the exact statute..."

is this true and if so can someone point me to the statute on it
and what about typed up signs that just say no weapons allowed on premises

the reason i ask is i take a family member to a rehab center 1 time a week and she told me there is a typed up sign that says that but i havent seen it and i cannot see it unless i get out ang go to there door witch i have no need to do but it cant be seen from the parking lot so would i be in violation since it isnt clearly posted unless you approch the entrance ??

and of all places i carry this is one i dont wont to be unarmed as there have been many roberys assults and just plain crazy people up there. the reason i dont get out

This what ive found
A [Conceal Carry] permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun ... where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

See less See more
#7 ·
So do I... buy spending my money elsewhere! I hand the manager the attached card and walk away.

Attachments

#4 ·
If the entrance road onto the property is not posted and you are not exiting your vehicle "I" don't think you have a concern. But as hdawson stated we all need to respect each others property rights and I would not carry onto their property in any manner until I had checked it out for myself.
Next trip lock your weapon in the trunk or glove box before you pick up the family member then you can walk in with them one time and see for yourself if there are any postings. If there are, "official" up to code language and size or not, I would respect their decision and not set foot out of my vehicle if armed.

#5 ·
They cannot force you to disarm inside the vehicle. Even the State realizes that they cannot force you to not have the firearm in the vehicle even if you cannot take it into a Gov building.

14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation
(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

Although not necessarily for private property, it sets a good precident.

A no firearms sign carries no legal weight on OC as far as I have found. The sign issue only comes up in the CC scope of permit. There is not statute to give a sign against OC any weight. Though I tend to not do business with a store that posts if possible. As much as I have heard the size and must say ....... the scope of permit does not spell all that out directly.

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit
(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

#11 ·
14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation
There's also a statewide uniformity statute specifically for concealed carry:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.
It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks.

This is why I avoid government property and rarely visit local parks. It's sad that government property is where the constitution is most ignored. :frown:

#6 ·
"in nc, a posted no firearm sign only applies to open carry. A sign to prohibit concealed carry must say "no concealed weapons" and must be a certain size. I can't remember the exact statute..."

is this true and if so can someone point me to the statute on it
and what about typed up signs that just say no weapons allowed on premises
From what I've understood since my CCP class a few years back, if the sign says "no firearms," it means just that--OC/CC or otherwise. If it says "no concealed firearms," etc, then just convert to OC and you're good.

Others may correct me if I'm wrong.

#15 ·
This topic is about gun signs. The example was a rehab. My response was to any retail establishment that puts up these signs.

#10 · (Edited)
This is not true. The law has no size requirement for the notice, though it must be "conspicuous". Also, while it does specifically say "concealed handguns", that is generally understood to mean any notice referencing weapons or guns. As I've indicated on other threads, the wording of the statute irritates me and I suspect it may actually require the notice to have more specific wording. It wouldn't have been that hard to make it clear, but instead we're left playing it safe by assuming all mention of weapons meets the statutory requirements of notice.

the reason i ask is i take a family member to a rehab center 1 time a week and she told me there is a typed up sign that says that but i havent seen it and i cannot see it unless i get out ang go to there door witch i have no need to do but it cant be seen from the parking lot so would i be in violation since it isnt clearly posted unless you approch the entrance ??
A sign cannot prohibit CC in the parking lot. You can even get out of your car and walk to the door. As long as you don't walk inside the posted building, you're legal.

EDIT: This may not be true... See my later post about parking lots.

#16 ·
A sign cannot prohibit CC in the parking lot. You can even get out of your car and walk to the door. As long as you don't walk inside the posted building, you're legal.
Could you point me to the law on that part please
and no i do not get out[/QUOTE]

IANAL.

Looking at the original post. A no firearms sign does not legally apply to anything, but I think it conveys a very strong message that the property owner does not welcome firearms. No sign legally covers OC in NC. The statute seems to state that to cover CC it must say no concealed weapons.

If the parking lot is not signed how can they have a reasonable expectation for you to know? Particularly if you stay in the vehicle.

State exemptions only cover gov property, not private property. NC law does make it clear that you are OK to have a firearm on state property as long as it stays in the car. ie. courthouse, park, gov buildings. So it's a reasonable assumption that it is OK to have it in the vehicle on private property. Where do they expect people with a CCP to store the weapon when they see the sign?

#14 ·
I found a link to them on this forum quite some time ago and print them out myself. I know you sent a PM but send me a request in e-mail and I will reply with the file and the instructions. tbmccord@earthlink.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.