An unexpected trip to the ER...

This is a discussion on An unexpected trip to the ER... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; even if the emt's find it before you get to the er you they would still have to bring it into the hosipital...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An unexpected trip to the ER...

even if the emt's find it before you get to the er you they would still have to bring it into the hosipital

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your painful day....good luck with your surgery.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

If I picked you up in my bus and you had "chest pain" as your primary complaint, that shirt would have been gone and your IWB carry would have been blown before we even left the scene.

Did you bring yourself to the ER or were you brought in by ambulance?
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Glad to know common sense was used by the officer.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like everything worked, good luck on recovery
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Glad you're OK. Sounds like you had very professional people to deal with. I like the way they handled things.

I was seriously killed (clinically dead for a few minutes ) in a car accident in my homestate of Indiana over 10 years ago. I was wearing a Taurus PT99 in a Galco OWB holster. My family informed the hospital that I had my CCW, and my weapon and holster were handed over to them, no hysteria and no fuss. Man I love Indiana....!

I still have the holster, and it still has my blood stains on it...I'm sentimental like that, I guess!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

OD*
    Happy to hear it all worked out Tom.
    Get better soonest!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Yuck - I'm glad to see you're doing better and the problem part was removed.

I suppose the ER docs find a lot of "interesting things" on people that come through - I'm happy to see the matter was handled professionally with no fuss.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lightbulb

This because it could help someone in a near faint someday...another E.R. story.

Several months ago, I hefted an equipment rack that was way too heavy, strained something they think in the neural system in my neck and shoulder area. They thought it caused a radical drop in blood pressure.

When I got really light headed/disoriented, I was not smart enough to lay down, thought walking and respirating was the right plan. Passed out on my feet, hit my head on a cobblestone drive, (22 staples worth), and woke up just being lifted into the ambulance.

I tapped my right front pocket where the P3AT resides, said, "licensed pistol, chamber loaded too", they handled everthing well, my wife was given the pistol to give back to me as I left the E.R. later.

Another helpful hint: I also had a glock 34 in my car, but it is locked in a small safe, which is teathered with 3/8" bicycle cable lock, u-bolted from inside. Never worried about it for a minute.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    If I picked you up in my bus and you had "chest pain" as your primary complaint, that shirt would have been gone and your IWB carry would have been blown before we even left the scene.

Did you bring yourself to the ER or were you brought in by ambulance?
    As a former EMT, I agree, and I can't defend their approach to receiving. I work four blocks from the ER and arrived POV as a walk-in. It is a large teaching hospital that receives all the indigent care. It is also a Trauma I center, and trauma and ambulance cases take precedence over walk-in. Ideally, with such gripping chest pain, I wouldn't have been stuck in triage for 9 hours, either, and the management of the ED workload and patient flow are certainly up for debate, but in fairness to those who actually took care of me, I think they were relying on the triage nurse's assessment in receiving.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Tom;
    Glad to see how professionally handled this issue was and that indeed you did get the weapon back with little hassle. As Security Operations Manager for a University of California Medical Center, we have very strict rules governing the discovery and handling of a firearm or any other weapon found. We lock the weapon into a lockable carrying case, transport it to Security then clear it in our clearing barrel. Once cleared we do a chain of custody for safekeeping removing ammo from magazine(s) and doing an INcident Report listing Make, Model, Caliber, etc. We then contact our sworn University police to run the serial number. Once OK, we store the weapon under 2 locks until released to the person or their designate in a written document. We copy the person's Driver's License prior to releasing the weapon - then only by a Supervisor. WHEW! ... like I've said before, Law Enforcement in California is real strict on the possesion and carry of firearms, so that forces us to dot all I's and cross all T's. It is very thorough, but inconveniences the owner's who's intention was not to get hurt or sick and come here in the first place - then have to go to two different locations to get all their property back. We go threough the same procedure for Law Enforcement who come into our ER shot ot injured on duty. Usually though, their Supervisor takes possession prior to hitting out ER, but it the gun does make it into ER, Security does their thing!
    Glad to see you came through your gall bladder attack, ... I see these guys almost daily in our ER, ... looks excruciating and some had passed out!
    Take care all.
    In the immortal words of Gunfighter Jack Wilson in SHANE, ...
    "Why don't we just get on with it and gun him?"

-Bad Lieutenant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links