It's starting to move out here to the country

This is a discussion on It's starting to move out here to the country within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We live in a small town on the very edge of Shelby County Tennessee, the county that contains Memphis. Memphis, the most crime ridden and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's starting to move out here to the country

It's starting to move out here to the country

We live in a small town on the very edge of Shelby County Tennessee, the county that contains Memphis. Memphis, the most crime ridden and scum filled hole of a city, per population, in the USA. Look it up, we regularly beat Detroit and the other crime infested holes of the country.

Anyway, out little town of Arlington is very safe. The biggest crime we have out here in the sticks is teens doing stupid stuff like stealing road signs. But, Wednesday night, we had an armed robbery in the parking lot of one of our restaurants. 3 guys pulled up in the lot in a car, one guy jumps out with a gun, points it at 2 guys who were walking to their car, takes their money, watches, credit cards, cell phones, and keys.

I am dismayed to hear this news but it isn't a huge surprise to me. I knew this was going to start out here sooner or later. We are only 15 miles or so from Memphis so it was inevitable really.

The short story can be found here:
    http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news...kAT8sZ3nQ.cspx

And people wonder why we wanted the law changed to allow for permit holders to carry in restaurants here in TN. This should put those wonders to rest but I am sure it won't.

Another version of the story, with some suspect details can be found here:
    http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news...kAT8sZ3nQ.cspx
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

And people wonder why we wanted the law changed to allow for permit holders to carry in restaurants here in TN. This should put those wonders to rest but I am sure it won't.

It won't. Their argument will be that if the victims had pulled guns or resisted in any way, they would have been shot and they were much better off complying with the scumbags.
    Last edited by deadeye72; August 3rd, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Yeah, because we all know that when the bad guys say "do what we say and nobody gets hurt" they mean it.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    TN Mike,
    I have family in Beaver Creek and Munford, and I can attest to what you are saying. Atoka has had some bad days lately too. The thugs from Memphis are stretching their legs.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Lead Moderator
    At least they have to drive down where you are! In the Maryland and Virginia suburbs of DC they TAKE THE METRO!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Suburbs

These thugs slink out of their 'hoods' after they have stolen every thing of value. It's happening in Chattanooga also. There are more hold ups in the suburbs lately. As much as we like to think one area is safe there really is no area immune from crime.

That is really disheartening, and those who mistakenly thought they could escape problems by moving outside the city are now facing dangerous situations all over the country.
    (Although Memphis is in the news a lot.)
    The 'goodies takers' know where the 'goodies' are, and they will eventually be coming to do their evil work in a neighborhood near you...watch for them. No one is safe, and no place is 'off limits'.

Stay armed...practice, train, and stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As with any attack, the element of surprise is a formidable one.
    Anyway, just last evening I was out with my dogs in this somewhat “Leave it to Beaver” neighborhood, when I was approached by some neighbors. They asked me… “So what do you have in that fanny pack; treats for your dogs?” I replied “Yeah, that’s it”. As I proceeded on my way I actually questioned myself as I wondered if I was over dressed (protected) for my environment. This thread actually helped to clear that notion, so thanks. ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Their argument will be that if the victims had pulled guns or resisted in any way, they would have been shot and they were much better off complying with the scumbags.
    Yeah, because we all know that when the bad guys say "do what we say and nobody gets hurt" they mean it.
    And here I thought it was because anyone who carries a gun is a bad guy. At least according to the brady bunch.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I went to college in Fulton, Missouri in the 1970s. There was never any shortage of crime there, especially drug related. If you used drugs in St. Louis or Kansas City in the '70s, they probably passed through Fulton. Fulton's just a stone's throw from I-70 and US54.

The college that I went to was having serious financial problems, so it let in a lot of people it never should have, mostly rich kids from Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma who couldn't get in anywhere else. They were heavily into drugs, both using and dealing. They were bigger thugs than anybody I ever met growing up in the "hood" in Chicago. And nobody had EVER told them "no". Things got really ugly, really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    At least they have to drive down where you are! In the Maryland and Virginia suburbs of DC they TAKE THE METRO!!
    +1 That's why you have to move further out to where the metro can't reach...although now they have that darned plan to extend the metro in VA, but it still won't reach me supposedly
    Clarke Co, VA calling in
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It's not so geographically simple. I live in a forgotten corner of a rural state. My hometown is under the staple in the Rand McNally Road Atlas. There's not a city within 100 miles that 25% of y'all would recognise. But crime is real, it's here, it's violent & it's gettin' worse. Honor students from good families who were at church on Sunday...are getting arrested for felony theft & shot during home invasions. I don't know the solution. But the problem is rapidly growing.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It's not so geographically simple. I live in a forgotten corner of a rural state. My hometown is under the staple in the Rand McNally Road Atlas. There's not a city within 100 miles that 25% of y'all would recognise. But crime is real, it's here, it's violent & it's gettin' worse. Honor students from good families who were at church on Sunday...are getting arrested for felony theft & shot during home invasions. I don't know the solution. But the problem is rapidly growing.
    If enough of them get shot in home invasions, evolution will solve the problem.

HKR
    Another small towner here.
    I watched as a steady flow of methcookers, meth heads and thugs have relocated to my small town. They like the lack of LE, the privacy to do their crap and the unlimited supply of older citizens to prey apon.
    Unfortunately a lot of the criminal element are native to the area and are just part of the new (sub)generation who have no use for an honest day's work, personal responsibility or anything decent. They steal from family, don't take care of their kids and put minimal effort into staying out of the courtroom/jail cell.

The bright side?
    We are small town America. We don't look the other way when we see someone stealing a neighbor's property. We have no issue with calling the police. A large majority of us are armed and our local LEOs/DAs/Judges are not interested in putting honest folk in jail for defending themselves and their families.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Yep, I was going to say that. A good majority of the crime we get here...armed robberies, burglaries, car theft, etc, seems to be perpetrated by people who take the metro over from DC or MD. Plenty of people here think that since they live on 'the good side of the river' they are safe. Well, BGs know how to use public transportation.

The only difference is, on this side of the river we have the right to bear arms
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links