ESPN Story regarding NY giants/Plax ND fiasco...

This is a discussion on ESPN Story regarding NY giants/Plax ND fiasco... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, First of all i just want to state that I do not expect anyone on ESPN to change their opinions on anything because of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Story regarding NY giants/Plax ND fiasco...

ESPN Story regarding NY giants/Plax ND fiasco...

Ok, First of all i just want to state that I do not expect anyone on ESPN to change their opinions on anything because of my post...however, i read this story on ESPN and felt a responsibility to comment just to represent gun owners who act the way they should... responsibly.

The story: Source: New York Giants' Antonio Pierce "optimistic" he will not be indicted - ESPN

First of all the article says that Plax was carrying a "Glock 9mm .40 caliber"...haha that made me laugh. Anyways the comments at the bottom were making me sick (were also getting very offtopic and racially charged) but i decided just to throw out a rational opinion so that it wasnt completely one sided.

Here is what i posted :

He had a glock 9MM .40 caliber firearm? ...Well that's impossible and simply poor reporting.

He was probably CC'ing either a G19 (which is 9mm) or a G23 (which is 40 cal). You cant carry a 9mm 40 cal unless you have two guns on your person.

my only point is the poor reporting... i could care less about the story or any of this. I do care about the fact that Plax makes all responsible gun owners and CCW permit holders look reckless and irresponsible, to which i will comment...

This is just another example of athletes being completely irresponsible and thinking they are invincible. The fact that he had the Glock tucked the way that he did (and that it went off) means a few things...
    1) He wanted to be Thug with it tucked in his pants - Gangsta style. I own a G19 and it would NEVER ever be carried outside of a holster. The problem is holsters don't look cool to all the ladies... Isn't he married too? I guess that is way beside the point. Anyways...
    2) He was touching it. Guns don't go off if you don't touch them. Glock's also only have passive safeties other than the trigger safety...i promise he was messing with it, which mean he was probably showing it off in some way, which also tells me he doesn't carry it for protection.

IMO Plax is not a "gun owner". He is a Thug Period

Try not to be too hard on me, it just made me angry how stories like this make all of us look. He, very unfortunately, from the public perspective is a part of our community - that being gun owners everywhere...

2. Remove Ads

Good Job~

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    This is neither here nor there but what I understand to have happened was he was bumped into in the club. Subsequently, since it was not holstered, it began to fall. When he reached to catch it through the sweatpants, that's when it went off. I don't think he was showing it off and waiving it around. Granted, he shouldn't have had it, but according to everything I have read (I am a passive Giants fan), he wasn't brandishing or anything.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

What I find equally disturbing is the wearing of sweat pants to a Club. Lack of decency of attire alone makes him a thug. Whats next? Women not wearing underwear to a club?

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    This is neither here nor there but what I understand to have happened was he was bumped into in the club. Subsequently, since it was not holstered, it began to fall. When he reached to catch it through the sweatpants, that's when it went off. I don't think he was showing it off and waiving it around. Granted, he shouldn't have had it, but according to everything I have read (I am a passive Giants fan), he wasn't brandishing or anything.
    That make sense. Again i dont know a whole lot of details...

I cant imagine sticking my glock in my sweat pants and then walking around a night club.... Or even walking from my bedroom to my bathroom!

VIP Member
    Regardless of how it went off the bum needs to do time, not community service or probation or just a fine. Let's look at the facts:

1. He was illegally carrying a firearm in NYC. No carry permit for it, a felony.

2. He illegally carried the gun in NJ. Again, no carry permit for it, again a felony.

3. He illegally transported a weapon across state lines while in commission of a felony.

To be honest I'd like to see the state of NJ and the Fed's go after him when NYS is done with him

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Regardless of how it went off the bum needs to do time, not community service or probation or just a fine. Let's look at the facts:

1. He was illegally carrying a firearm in NYC. No carry permit for it, a felony.

2. He illegally carried the gun in NJ. Again, no carry permit for it, again a felony.

3. He illegally transported a weapon across state lines while in commission of a felony.

To be honest I'd like to see the state of NJ and the Fed's go after him when NYS is done with him
    I agree...he should do time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

+1....Archer, in the future I wish you'd just tell us how you feel instead of beating around the bush so much!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member
    Also, I would add 1 count of Felony Endangerment (Class-D felony in NY state, I believe) per person in the club

+1. Multiple felonies in multiple states, including federal felonies.

I don't have much experience with Glocks, so maybe a Glock owner can clear this up, but wouldn't it be extremely difficult to accidentally discharge the weapon as you "grasp for it falling down your sweat pants"? 5.5 lb of trigger pull isn't exactly a hair trigger.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Doesn't he have a body guard? He could probably get a NY and/or NJ permit because of his celebrity status?

Quote Originally Posted by joe26 View Post
    Doesn't he have a body guard? He could probably get a NY and/or NJ permit because of his celebrity status?
    He almost certainly could have... but he's so important as a football player that he felt he didn't need to.

Another NFL player, Joey Porter a linebacker for the Miami Dolphins, admitted on a national interview on ESPN that he carries illegally in Florida all the time. His reasoning is that he should be allowed to since he's such a big celebrity and doesn't feel the permitting process is necessary or fair.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I automatically assume that pro sports figures are thugs and that the opinions of sports commentators on substantive matters are assinine.

Let's play pretend for a moment.

Let's pretend that Plaxico Burress was actually just a regular guy who was willing to be a 2nd Amendment martyr, a guy who was thinking, "New York and New Jersey don't have the right to deny my ability to defend myself, so I'm going to carry, and gosh darn it, if I get caught, let the chips fall where they may."

Ok, fine. We all agree that those laws are idiotic, and if he wants to risk it, that's his business.

Wear. A. Holster.

What would have happened if he wore a good holster? I'm not sure what would have happened, but I can give you some good guesses as to what wouldn't have happened:

HE WOULDN'T HAVE FREAKING DROPPED IT AND HE WOULDN'T HAVE SHOT HIMSELF, AND HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN WAIVED BY THE GIANTS AND HE WOULDN'T HAVE POTENTIALLY THROWN AWAY MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Here's what the charges should be:

Felony endangerment, indeterminate number of counts.
    Felony stupidity, 50 bazillion counts.

Less than $100. That's the difference between begging for "only" three years in prison and being in training camp.

Dumb dumb dumb. Reminds me of a joke that Billy Crystal used to tell. "I got a dumb kid, stupid kid, not bright. One day he walks up to me with a pile of dog crap in his hand. He says, 'Pop, I almost stepped in this.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I automatically assume that pro sports figures are thugs and that the opinions of sports commentators on substantive matters are assinine.
    Wow... you can't say that about the cops around here. What about the bad apple theory for Sports figures, or does that only apply to cops?

I would have a hard time convicting Plaxico based on my belief that he has a right to bear arms IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links