Transfer of my OK CHL to TX CHL...

This is a discussion on Transfer of my OK CHL to TX CHL... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings.... I am active duty military and stationed in Oklahoma. I will be moving to Fort Bliss (El Paso) next Feb. I currently hold an ...

Greetings....
    I am active duty military and stationed in Oklahoma. I will be moving to Fort Bliss (El Paso) next Feb. I currently hold an OK permit and would like to continue to carry when I live in TX.
    Because of the rules here in OK I am allowed, as an active duty stationed here, to have an OK carry permit, but I am a Colorado resident (Read: CO drivers license).
    I will become a TX resident again when I move in FEB (I was born and raised in Austin). I don't want to have a lapse in time between permits and I don't want to have to explain having a CO DL and a OK carry permit even though it's legal here. I am assuming that my OK permit will become null and void when I get a TX DL, so I have a few questions:

1. Can I get a Non-resident license now and have that cover me when I move to TX?

2. If #1 is YES then when do I have to transfer that to "resident" permit?

3. Any down side to a TX Non-resident permit?

4. Any options I don't know about?

I am fairly close to Wichita falls (Fort Sill) and could easily get down to TX take a class before I move.

Obviously my main goals are to not have any time where I can't carry legally and to make LEO's comfortable in the off chance I get stopped.

(What's funny is that if I were a common low life criminal I would just carry without a permit...and people are scared of the law abiding citizen that jumps through their a** to do the right thing...that makes me scratch my head)

Thanks for your time.

I'm USAF, FL resident w/ a TX resident CHL. My TX CHL will become a non-resident CHL automatically when I PCS out of state, no paperwork or new CHL needs to be issues. I just have to notify them. See if Oklahoma does the same and you'll be covered. As far as i know, a non-res TX CHL is the same as a TX CHL in the state. The only difference is that some states don't recognize non-res CHLs. It will cover you until you become a resident though. Clear as mud?

Yep you can get a non-resident and military/veterans get a discount,then once you move here apply for a resident
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Texas

Welcome back to Texas! Ive been in Lawton Ok many times, at the Diamond Back Saloon!

If you apply for a Texas CHL you may wanna act quick, the wait is about 4 months or so.

Alex!

Texas has reciprocity with Oklahoma. Unless you are planning on being here more than six months, it might not do you any good to get a non-res license.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

I have searched for an application for a non-res TX CHL, but only find a resident application that requires me to have a TX DL. Can anyone provide guidance?

It shouldnt be a problem for you to carry in Texas with a Colorado DL and Oklahoma CHL. Getting a Texas CHL surely cant hurt, though.

I know that you're afraid that a law enforcement officer may find it suspicious, although legal, that you're carrying numerous licenses from different states. However, since you're in the military, I'd think that most LEO's would understand that you move alot, resulting in a hodgepodge of out-of-state licenses.

Back in college, I knew a guy from Atlanta with a Georgia DL, Florida CHL, and lived here in Fort Worth, Texas. It was never a problem, as far as I know.

I am not sure that you can start your application online for a non resident license. You will probably have to get the package sent from the state via a phone call or from an instructor when you take the class.

One good thing, you don't have to pay for anything other than your class since your active military.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Class complete

Thanks for all the help.

I drove down to Wichita Falls today and took the CHL class for TX. My instructor said I should be good to go for the Non-resident license. I'll let you know how things progress...

I don't see anything on the OK website that says they'll let you keep it when you leave. (I'm active duty in CO and have the same problem.)

As has been previously stated, contact the folks at Austin and get a packet. When I renewed in June, it took about 7-8 days to receive it (the packet).

I may be wrong, but I think the only difference between a Texas resident and non-resident is the address. You will want to update that when you get a new license. (Address changes are free for AD military.)

Hope this helps,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

TDPS Licensing

Here's a link for TDPS Licensing. Give them a call to clear up any questions you may have.
    Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

BTW, military discount = free for the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I don't see anything on the OK website that says they'll let you keep it when you leave. (I'm active duty in CO and have the same problem.)

I may be wrong, but I think the only difference between a Texas resident and non-resident is the address. You will want to update that when you get a new license. (Address changes are free for AD military.)

Hope this helps,
    Herk
    I called the OSBI (Oklahoma state bureau of investigation) and they said that as soon as I move it is not valid because I am here under military orders. It may be the same in CO.

I talked to the people in Austin and they told me that there is no difference in the license (res, non-res) it's just the address and you have to state that you are going to become a resident within 6 months. I can update my address when I buy a house in el paso.

Thanks again for all the help!

Links