I felt .... lost!

I felt .... lost!

This is a discussion on I felt .... lost! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, today I had several errands to do. Go to the bank, the grocery, and get a haircut in preparation for an interview tomorrow. While ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I felt .... lost!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

I felt .... lost!

Well, today I had several errands to do. Go to the bank, the grocery, and get a haircut in preparation for an interview tomorrow. While at the bank, my right hand happened to hit my right pocket, and I felt- nothing. I had left my Glock 26 at home. I've been carrying now for over 3 years, and I haven't left the house without a gun during that time. Suddenly finding myself without a gun made me feel lost. It was horrible. I couldn't just go home and get it, and I had to complete my errands. Sheesh, I never want to do that again!

Welcome to the human race.

I've left home without my creds, wallet, phone and even my vest, but I don't think I've forgotten my gun yet. Don't worry, it'll probably happen tomorrow.

Biker

Funny you should post this precise subject today. When I left the house today I wore my G26 on my right hip. I thought it was going to be another normal day. This was until I arrived at work.

When I arrived at work I removed my holster & stashed it in my backpack. I went to put my G26 & spare magazine in my Smartholster. That's when I realized that I had forgotten to put it on before I left the house! Now I felt vulnerable again. This was the first time since I didn't have my G26 with me for protection. It is definitely an odd feeling of suddenly not being able to protect yourself in a "worst case" scenario. Especially in my line of work as a security guard.

But I survived for 8 hours without my trusty G26 on me tonight! I definitely won't forget my Smartcarry holster tomorrow!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Must be the Vegas heat.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I havent been carrying that long and hadnt forgotten it yet. But ive noticed that since i got the permit i feel guilty if i dont carry EVERY TIME i leave the house. Im talking about going to the mailbox. I feel like if something happened that one time i would never forgive myself.

Welcome to the club. Once I put on my holster and mag carrier and was half way to Denver before I realized I had left the gun and mags on the dresser. You only do it once.

Semper Fi

I forgot mine this past Sunday, felt naked.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Work in DC

I work in DC, so I spend the majority of my waking hours "unarmed".
    Or at least not carrying a firearm.
    I still carry my brain, so I'm not totally defenseless.

I've only been carrying for 4 months and feel naked when I don't have it, which is usually only Sunday AM at church b/c I have to be tucked in.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

The likelihood of being attacked was millions to one, so your feelings of emptiness and loss were misplaced and were signs of living your life by the gun. You need help and need to rethink how your gun has overrun your daily life.

... or something like that. The logic eludes me.

Time to renew the "exit" procedures: keys, wallet, license, firearm/ammo/holster, covering garment, list of things to do. Check. Double-check, to be sure. Then leave.

Forgot it, myself, a couple weeks back. (That's been a long while, since the last time.) Was heading to a seedier side of town that's known for its share of situations. Turned around and corrected the error.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdinnie View Post
    I work in DC, so I spend the majority of my waking hours "unarmed".
    Or at least not carrying a firearm.
    I still carry my brain, so I'm not totally defenseless.
    DC is also a problem for me. Luckily, I don't have to go there very often. I avoid it whenever I can.

The few times I have gone there, having to leave the pistol at home felt a little strange. At least when I go to school (in VA) I am allowed to leave it in the car...in DC all I can do is run and pray.

Another reason for national reciprocity. In DC only bigshots are allowed to carry. Peons are not.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Since carrying, I've noticed that I've started forgetting my cell. I realize it when I slide into the car because it taps the car door jam as I slide in. I wear my pistol at 4 o clock and my phone at 9.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

I've not forgotten my gun (outside of school days), but I have had to drive back 15 miles to get my wallet. I had been inside the bank...armed (perfectly legal in FL)...and went to get my wallet, oh-oh...gun w/o permit and in the bank?
    Fortunately, one of the tellers said, "It's OK, I know him...", and I was able to care of business.
    Definitely not a good feeling though.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With a supertuck, I cannot feel whether or not the gun is in. The kydex pushes against me, and that is all. A month or two ago I left without placing the 642 in it's place. Halfway to my destination I realized it, horrible feeling that is. But, I had my brain, my Spyderco, my Fenix, and was completely fine.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I carry my wallet in my left rear pocket. I have one (ONE) pair of shorts that doesn't HAVE a left rear pocket, so wearing them means the wallet goes right-rear. I had NO idea how often I apparently tap my wallet to make sure it's there, until I realized a split-second of panic EVERYTIME my tap didn't confirm its presence. Then, I would remember which pants I was wearing & relax. I wonder if we pistol-packers don't also unconsciously (subconsciously?) do the same thing. I don't mean fondle, just a tiny tap-confirmation. And yes, I've also become completely accustomed to having a CCW...and feel uncomfortable when the habit (by circumstance or neglect) is broken. Maybe it's the downside of buying really good (comfortable) holsters & belts? Remember, bald guys know it raining waaaay before people with hair!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links