USA Today article on CC

This is a discussion on USA Today article on CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More seek concealed weapons permits - USATODAY.com...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA Today article on CC

Cloudpeak

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    My God - I thought this was going to be the USA Today Poll again. whew!!!

More seek concealed weapons permits

By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY
    Gun owners are packing heat in record numbers, fearful of stricter gun control under the Obama administration and higher crime in a sour economy.
    Some states and counties report a surge in applications for concealed weapons permits since the November election. All states but Illinois and Wisconsin allow concealed weapons, but requirements differ.

Applications already have hit a record this year in Clay County, Mo., where the sheriff's office received 888 through June, compared with 863 in all of last year, says Sheriff Bob Boydston. The office recently hired two part-time workers to deal with the rush.

In the past, applicants tended to be middle-aged men, he says, but recent applicants include "grandmothers, older folks, young women, young men."

They tell him the bad economy will lead to more thefts and break-ins, he says, but his statistics show violent crime related to the recession hasn't gone up.

They also say they fear gun control, he says. Last week, Boydston spoke with an elderly couple seeking a permit. "They are positive the president is on the verge of coming to our homes and taking our weapons," he says.

Statewide, the Missouri State Highway Patrol has processed 18,878 background checks so far this year for the permits, the most since the agency began keeping statistics in 2005, Lt. John Hotz says. It processed 18,466 checks during all of last year.

In May, Obama signed a law that will allow guns in national parks. "The president respects and supports the Second Amendment and the tradition of gun ownership in this country," White House spokesman Ben LaBolt says.

Interest groups on both sides agree that demand for permits is up because of economic uncertainty and concerns about a new president and a Democrat-controlled Congress.

"People pay attention to politics. … They're afraid of another effort" to try to enact more gun control, says Andrew Arulanandam, spokesman for the National Rifle Association. "Part of the concern is spurred by the economic downturn and fear that crime will go up."

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, fears that violent confrontations will increase as more people carry concealed guns. "When someone's carrying a gun around and they're not fully trained, oftentimes they'll use it just because it's there," he says.

Demand is also up in:

•Florida. The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services hired 61 temporary workers in spring to tackle a backlog in applications, says spokesman Terence McElroy. The department received 75,520 applications through June, on pace to beat last year's record of 90,331.

•Caldwell County, N.C. Residents filed 358 applications for permits in the first half of this year, compared with 135 for the same period last year, "a bigger increase than we've ever seen in the past," says Sheriff's Detective B.J. Fore. "People are worried about desperate times."

•Texas. The Department of Public Safety has seen "an unprecedented increase" in applications since November, spokeswoman Lisa Block says.

•Utah. June ranked as the top month ever for applications, with 11,292 received, says Lt. Doug Anderson of the state Bureau of Criminal Identification. This year also is record-setting, he says, with 49,499 applications in through June.

Craig Ball, manager of Impact Guns in Ogden, Utah, has offered more training courses to meet demand.

"Last year, a typical class would be 15 to 20 people," he says. "Right after the election, we had as many as 55 people."
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    In May, Obama signed a law that will allow guns in national parks. "The president respects and supports the Second Amendment and the tradition of gun ownership in this country," White House spokesman Ben LaBolt says.
    Factually correct - but what a twist of reality. He signed a law adding restrictions on the credit card industry which had an ammendment changing the rules for guns in parks. I'd like to ask Ben what color the sky is in his world because of the "law" would have been solely about guns in parks, I'd bet my house that Obama would have veto'd it.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, fears that violent confrontations will increase as more people carry concealed guns. "When someone's carrying a gun around and they're not fully trained, oftentimes they'll use it just because it's there," he says.
    Based on what facts you putz??
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Great, CC applications are up. What percentage of these new permit holders are actually going to carry?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Great, CC applications are up. What percentage of these new permit holders are actually going to carry?
    I'm not sure I care... The reason I say that is the number of requests will hopefully sends a message that those that want to carry might be the "silent majority", and the vocal types like the Bradys are just tossing crap!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

President Obama respects and supports our Second Amendment just like he wan't raise taxes.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

To quote Sarah Palin... "stop making stuff up." It boggles my mind the nonsense that comes out of these pinheads. "Oftentimes", Paul? Really!? Name one time. At least give us an example to support your fears.

The problem is that non-gun owners read this stuff and take it at face value, furthering the perception that gun owners are reckless knee-jerk radicals.

Great article! I wish they would show all of the numbers from all of the states that have CCW and I'll bet all of them have skyrocketed from last year to this year.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Increased gun sales and CC apps are good news--it lets Reps and Senators at both state and national level know what their constituents are "saying" with this behavior!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

cmb

Good Job Everyone!

I thought we were helping the economy, we have created more jobs than the administration has and Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Springfield, etc... all ammo and firearms companies are posting postive earnings for over a year... not to mention the local jobs at the ranges, and gun stores

Keep it up!

Kansas Concealed Handgun Licenses issued:

2006 - 4,907
    2007 - 6,689
    2008 - 5,934

January 1 to June 30, 2009 - 5,050

I think there should be more reporting like this. Let the BG's know more and more people have guns.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    President Obama respects and supports our Second Amendment just like he wan't raise taxes.
    Hey, thanks for pointing out why we can expect no tax increases. You know a couple of folks seem to doubt His majesty, the great high President obamas word, but we know he could never tell a lie. Remember how he fessed up for his error with the cherry tree? After all the man (more than a mere mortal really) who freed the slaves, got us out of the great depression and won the cold war certainly knows whats best for us. Of course, when our neighbors are responsible for our health care, do you really think it would be right to risk their tax dollars by playing with such a dangerous instrument as a gun. While his royal highness absolutely supports our right to have guns, I'm sure he has a plan to keep them all locked up in a safe central location until we really need them. Just Trust his majesty, esteemed omnipotent ruler of all, Obama. Remember "In God we trust" is printed on the currency, and God is just a code name for Obama (insert lightning strike here) And all you doubters, I'm tired of phrases like"can any good thing come out of Hawaii?(or was it indonesia,no biggie....) Think Poi. Anyway, just submit to the messiah, the grand high pubbah of the universe, Obama, he knows best , after all, he went to Harvard. (???What was this thread again???)
    Last edited by Carvin66; August 4th, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: can't spell

This is news from about a year ago.

That being said, I wonder how many people are getting permits not because of fear of more gun regulation but for just fear of "their" government in general?
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

VIP Member
    You notice they have to throw out the "packing heat" phrase in the story. I'm so sick of seeing it in every article the main stream press does. Whats wrong with "lawfully carrying a weapon"? Maybe we should make a habit of describing the media as "starting rumors" instead of "reporting the news" it would be more accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links