Vacationing in Boston

This is a discussion on Vacationing in Boston within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently hold a North Carolina CCW Permit and will be vacationing in Boston early next month. NC and MA do not have reciprocity. Does ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Vacationing in Boston

  1. #1
    Member Array maddy345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pikeville, NC
    Posts
    472

    Vacationing in Boston

    I currently hold a North Carolina CCW Permit and will be vacationing in Boston early next month. NC and MA do not have reciprocity. Does anyone know of a LEGAL way for me to take my pistol and carry it?


    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    You can try and apply for a permit...

    Handgunlaw.us

    Massachusetts Info
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

  4. #3
    Member Array Roy McC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    S. W. Virginia
    Posts
    359
    I don't know of a way. Vehicle carry of a handgun by a traveler w/o a Massachusetts carry license is prohibited. Handguns may only be transported by travelers who are "passing through" the state under provisions of McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986. Unfortunately for gun owners, Massachusettes reflects Ted Kennedy's politics when it comes laws reguarding firearms.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

  5. #4
    Member Array maddy345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pikeville, NC
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    You can try and apply for a permit...

    Handgunlaw.us

    Massachusetts Info
    You have to apply in person and there is a wait. Won't do me much good.


    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    You have to apply in person and there is a wait. Won't do me much good.
    Unfortunately, with your extremely truncated time frame, you're pretty much up the proverbial tributary without a workable means of propulsion.

    As Roy said, we can thank some horribly liberal politicians in what is otherwise a wonderful state for some terrible laws.

    If only the national reciprocity bill had passed through Congress. 2 votes short... sounds like some of those senators need to be voted out.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array boscobeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    upstate new york
    Posts
    1,176
    """Section 131F. A Class A or Class B temporary license to carry firearms or feeding devices or ammunition
    therefor, within the commonwealth, may be issued by the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by
    him, to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority or to an
    alien that resides outside the commonwealth for purposes of firearms competition and subject to such terms
    and conditions as said colonel may deem proper;""

    No way to have them with you...unless just passing through and locked-unloaded and in the trunk....

    bosco

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array FastDraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    589
    MA laws makes IL look like a gun state. For all practical purposes you are out of luck having a gun in Boston.

    During my corporate days I made hundreds of trips to Boston. It's a fun city, with great resturants......

    Be Alert and Stay Safe

    FastDraw

  9. #8
    Member Array gtifreak04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    25
    The state of MA doesn't even honor the federal Interstate Travel concerning handguns. If you live in CT with a permit and want to drive to VT (where you are ALSO allowed to possess handguns) you are up the creed w/o a paddle. The only cases that you can get away with are for an advertised competition in which you are participating, antique exhibitions, or hunting with the proper license. I would love to use a few ranges in MA and it's not even allowed if you disassemble the gun, lock it up and keep it in the trunk.

    -M

  10. #9
    Member Array Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont USA
    Posts
    277
    gtifreak04 is correct we deal with this issue alot up here in New England and the short answer is no.

    But the good news is if you apply now you may be aproved for your vacation next year or the year after that.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array FastDraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    gtifreak04 is correct we deal with this issue alot up here in New England and the short answer is no.

    But the good news is if you apply now you may be aproved for your vacation next year or the year after that.
    I have to wonder what percentage of MA applications are actually approved? I've never applied..... and don't intend to...... but I assumed you had to have a very good reason and that "personal defense" would not be sufficient.

    Be Alert and Stay Safe

    FastDraw

  12. #11
    Member Array Roy McC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    S. W. Virginia
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by gtifreak04 View Post
    The state of MA doesn't even honor the federal Interstate Travel concerning handguns. If you live in CT with a permit and want to drive to VT (where you are ALSO allowed to possess handguns) you are up the creed w/o a paddle. The only cases that you can get away with are for an advertised competition in which you are participating, antique exhibitions, or hunting with the proper license. I would love to use a few ranges in MA and it's not even allowed if you disassemble the gun, lock it up and keep it in the trunk.

    -M
    I thought ALL states had to honor the FOPA of 1986.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

  13. #12
    Member Array roadrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    293
    Make sure you check out the Old North Church,and Paul Reveres home while there.

    A nice walk around the North end ,will rekindle your sense of Patriotism,and leave you wondering how This country,this state in particular,has devolved into the apathetic group of whiners our populace has become!

  14. #13
    Member Array gtifreak04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    I thought ALL states had to honor the FOPA of 1986.
    Legally they do, but I wouldn't take a gun anywhere near MA unless you're prepared with a good lawyer. If you get stopped with a firearm in the state you're not going to have a good day. If you do take a gun into MA, make sure that you have a magazine that has a top cap. of 10 rounds. Anything else and they will file charges for a felony.

    The City of Boston has additional laws on top of the standard state laws.

    Out of State MA permits cost $100; you must apply in person and they expire in 1 year. Hardly worth the $$ IMO.

    Here's the official info: Gun Laws - Executive Office of Public Safety

    NorthEast Shooters is a good sounding board if you are looking for more in depth info, most of the guys/gals there are residents.
    Northeastshooters.com New England's Premier Shooting Forum

  15. #14
    Member Array Roy McC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    S. W. Virginia
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by gtifreak04 View Post
    Legally they do, but I wouldn't take a gun anywhere near MA unless you're prepared with a good lawyer. If you get stopped with a firearm in the state you're not going to have a good day. If you do take a gun into MA, make sure that you have a magazine that has a top cap. of 10 rounds. Anything else and they will file charges for a felony.

    The City of Boston has additional laws on top of the standard state laws.

    Out of State MA permits cost $100; you must apply in person and they expire in 1 year. Hardly worth the $$ IMO.

    Here's the official info: Gun Laws - Executive Office of Public Safety

    NorthEast Shooters is a good sounding board if you are looking for more in depth info, most of the guys/gals there are residents.
    Northeastshooters.com New England's Premier Shooting Forum

    If you are "passing through" and the handgun and mag.are properly stored, you are legal if you are bound for a jurisdiction where possession of such weapon is legal. My G26 or G30SF only have a 10 round mag.
    Last edited by Roy McC; August 4th, 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: correction
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

  16. #15
    Member Array Captain38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    188
    For what it's worth, I've flown into and out of Logan with a declared unloaded firearm in my checked luggage and had no problems with the Massachusetts State Police contingent at the airport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Vacationing in South Carolina
    By Ghuqu2 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM
  2. Boston Confrontation,2nd Day of C.C
    By Demeo2169 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
  3. Boston PD initiative
    By NKMG19 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: May 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM
  4. Flying through Boston
    By SIGguy229 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
  5. BOSTON move????
    By uwo in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 20th, 2005, 10:34 PM