Personal Space

This is a discussion on Personal Space within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I now have my CCW and have been carrying wherever I go. I have started my collection of holsters and have the pager pal(too ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Space

Personal Space

So, I now have my CCW and have been carrying wherever I go. I have started my collection of holsters and have the pager pal(too big) looks a bit revealing, Fobus Paddle (good but harder to conceal), A Don Hume IWB (works good, one of my favorites) and a Galco Belly Band. The belly band works great due to deep concealment but will be a bit slow on the draw when needed. I had an issue come up the other day and was wondering how everyone deals with it when it happens. I was at church and a lady came up behind me and reached her arms around my mid section and hugged me. She didn't actually touch my gun but did notice the belly band and asked why I had a back brace on. I have a bad back and she knew that so it was easy to cover saying that yes it was a back brace.

How do you deal with that, people wanting to hug you and also does anyone have any great ideas or favorite ccw holsters for larger guns.

2. Remove Ads

Someone here, P95Carry I think, covered this. I used it and it works.

Whenever someone goes to hug you, go low! If you can "beat them to the punch" and put your arms around their waist, this will force them to hug you higher up.

Like the coach said, if they go low, you go lower! But uh. . . Don't get carried away and tackle the old girl!

Oh, you said she came up behind you. . . Well, just keep your arms straight down at your side?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

It's in another tread, same question
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Shower less often. Everyone will leave you alone and give you lots of personal space.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Heres some threads with some ideas

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...personal+space

all pretty much cover personal space and a few what to do if found out etc

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian45
    Shower less often. Everyone will leave you alone and give you lots of personal space.
    This and lots of garlic. Supposed to keep the bees away, too.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I like at least a 5-6 foot bubble. The very few people who know I carry, don't go on my right side. I don't hug or shake hands. Just my policy.

When I talk to others, they have to take at least 2-3 steps to come close enough to shake my hand or something, gives me time to turn away when we part.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I was at a best buy a while back. I had bought about $3000 worth of stuff for work, and was walking out the door when the loss prevention guy stops me.

"Excuse me sir, whats on those clips on your belt?"

#@$%. He noticed the clips on my C.T.A.C.

He grabs for it, coming about half a centimeter from my waist. I grab his hand and twist it, and tell him "DON'T TOUCH ME."

To make a long story short, he wanted to detain me and call the police, and have me arrested for assult. I called for the manager. We went to the back room to discuss it, and he watched the security tape. Obviously LPO guy touched me first and Manager chewed the guy out, and then i went and returned everything I just bought, out of spite.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    ...How do you deal with that, people wanting to hug you and also does anyone have any great ideas or favorite ccw holsters for larger guns.
    I carry IWB at about 4 o'clock on the belt. Being 6'6", the folks who try to hug me are usually shorter, often significantly shorter than me. When someone tries to hug me from behind, as soon as I become aware of the attempt, I turn in place to my left to face the party that has come up behind me. This puts my pistol out of easy reach, and allows me to take control of the contact.

Generally, I maintain my space in public, and limit displays of affection to a few people, all of whom know I carry, so I don't get many unexpected hugs.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Hug low is my answer also....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I only allow reallllllllly good looking women to hug me, but my wife fends them off so that rarely happens. It's also rare that someone sneaks up and takes me by surprise but I try the rotate to the left move which puts my gun away from the hugger.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I just tell them to ask my wife first, that usualy frosts them, If i
    can't stop them in time, i tell them its my insulin pump.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I was at a best buy a while back. I had bought about $3000 worth of stuff for work, and was walking out the door when the loss prevention guy stops me.

"Excuse me sir, whats on those clips on your belt?"

#@$%. He noticed the clips on my C.T.A.C.

He grabs for it, coming about half a centimeter from my waist. I grab his hand and twist it, and tell him "DON'T TOUCH ME."

To make a long story short, he wanted to detain me and call the police, and have me arrested for assult. I called for the manager. We went to the back room to discuss it, and he watched the security tape. Obviously LPO guy touched me first and Manager chewed the guy out, and then i went and returned everything I just bought, out of spite.
    Kudos to you sir!

I am all for LP guys making good stops but unless they have actually witnessed someone taking something they need to leave customers alone. They certainly don't need to be grabbing customers either.

VIP Member
    Fortunately I'm not huggy and I'm evidently not very huggable. The hug low advice is great. The other thing I do is the gun side arm stays close to the gun. That way should someone try to surprise me the arm is in the way. I also carry my phone just in front of my gun. So inadvertant contact is with the phone vs the gun.

-Scott-

Administrator
    I usually always carry in a shoulder rig so I always control the way relatives hug me with my left hand.
    I try not to give or receive too many hugs anyway. I never was a real "Touchy Feely" sort of guy. Friendly but, not "Huggy" -
    My Mom & my Wife are the only ones that can hug my firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links