Traveling from S.C. to Va.

This is a discussion on Traveling from S.C. to Va. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, My family & I will be traveling from SC to Va. in the near future. I have searched the handgunlaw.us website & this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

Hello all,

My family & I will be traveling from SC to Va. in the near future. I have searched the handgunlaw.us website & this website about carrying & notification of LEO if stopped by them. Please help me by verifying my find.

If I am stopped by LEO in NC for traffic violation I must notify the officer immediately if I am carrying or have weapon in the vehicle. I present the concealed weapons permit with my DL.

In Virginia there is no need to notify if stopped by LEO or present my permit with my license.

Did I read all this correctly? Thanks for your help / verification.
    SCGunLover1

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    You have it right, on both counts.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

You are correct. I travel between NC and VA all the time. However, it's not just for traffic stops in NC. Any "official" interaction with a LEO requires you to declare. Obviously, you don't have to pull over and surrender to every local sheriff's deputy you see, nor do you have to cross the street to avoid walking near a city cop. However, if you are approached by any LEO on official business, just politely let 'em know.

I have found some wise advice here: notifying a LEO is ALWAYS legal, and usually a smart move. Even in VA (where I am this week), I will be letting them know if I get pulled over. I hate surprises, and so do most LEOs I know.

Also, in VA the LEO will find out when he runs you through the computer, so better to notify him up front otherwise he will wonder "why didn't he notify?" and possibly become suspicious of you

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Also, in VA the LEO will find out when he runs you through the computer, so better to notify him up front otherwise he will wonder "why didn't he notify?" and possibly become suspicious of you
    Not necessarily true for out-of-state motorists.

It all depends upon the state the motorist is from. In my case, all running my tags or DL will get an officer, even in Connecticut, is my registration and DL info. An officer here would have to specifically request a permit database search.

It is misleading and often dangerous to make blanket assumptions and statements.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Good point Majorlk, I stand corrected.

I do still recommend notifying even if not required and even if the LEO might not find out from the computer. In my experience the LEO has become friendlier after I notify.

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Good point Majorlk, I stand corrected.

I do still recommend notifying even if not required and even if the LEO might not find out from the computer. In my experience the LEO has become friendlier after I notify.
    I don't disagree with that.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If you're traveling in another state with your gun you're better off handing the officer your LTCF with your DL to prevent ticking the LEO off and avoiding any hassles like a seat in the back of his cruiser. My $0.02.
    Last edited by rstickle; August 31st, 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Prohibited word

Thanks for all the counsel I received on my post when traveling across state lines into nearby states.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    If I am stopped by LEO in NC for traffic violation I must notify the officer immediately if I am carrying or have weapon in the vehicle. I present the concealed weapons permit with my DL.
    Actually, all you have to do is tell him that you have a SC CWP and a firearm in the car.

You only present your CWP if he requests it.

My NC CC instructor specifically told us NOT to hand an officer our CWP unless he asks for it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I have found some wise advice here: notifying a LEO is ALWAYS legal, and usually a smart move. Even in VA (where I am this week), I will be letting them know if I get pulled over. I hate surprises, and so do most LEOs I know.
    Maybe you never heard about the guy from NC or SC who notified and as a result was charged with a whole bunch of bogus charges, as well as having his gun confiscated...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Maybe you never heard about the guy from NC or SC who notified and as a result was charged with a whole bunch of bogus charges, as well as having his gun confiscated...
    I did see that. I would still rather be hassled, cuffed, and realeased than have a gun pointed in my face, or worse. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    Hello all,

My family & I will be traveling from SC to Va. in the near future. I have searched the handgunlaw.us website & this website about carrying & notification of LEO if stopped by them. Please help me by verifying my find.

In Virginia there is no need to notify if stopped by LEO or present my permit with my license.

Did I read all this correctly? Thanks for your help / verification.
    Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to give an update on our trip. While traveling from SC to Va. At every place we stopped I double checked for posters or signs indicating no weapons. I found or didn't notice any. Didn't get pulled over for violating any traffic laws and didn't encounter any BGs. I didn't carry my G23 on my person but did have it in the vehicle and / or motel room. Instead I carried my wife's S&W M36 in an uncle mikes pocket holster.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Actually, all you have to do is tell him that you have a SC CWP and a firearm in the car.

You only present your CWP if he requests it.

My NC CC instructor specifically told us NOT to hand an officer our CWP unless he asks for it.
    Was there a reasoning for that? I travel to NC pretty often so I'd like to keep this in the back of my memory...

I had a small interaction with a LEO over the weekend here in MI and after mentioning my CC permit the LEO seemed a little annoyed I had not yet showed it to him (I was still digging it out of my wallet at the time..). He then gave me a bit of a lecture about how I should always present it.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    Was there a reasoning for that? I travel to NC pretty often so I'd like to keep this in the back of my memory...
    They don't give a reason, but here's a direct quote from the official North Carolina Department of Justice website:

NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

Concealed Weapons Reciprocity
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links