Question

This is a discussion on Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen anything about this anywhere before. There may be no laws pertaining, but I'm getting ready to travel to the Richmond area and ...

Thread: Question

Question

I haven't seen anything about this anywhere before. There may be no laws pertaining, but I'm getting ready to travel to the Richmond area and will probably be on a boat on and around the James River. Are there any laws pertaining to carrying on a boat?

Thanks so much and I apologize if this has been discussed.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Hope this helps....Virginia Gun Law Update 2005
    or try this one...http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm..... Found this on this site, covers most of the states....http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    If you have a CHP and carry concealed, you should be OK.

Where it can get tricky is crossing boundaries, e.g., some State Parks include parts of waterways in their boundaries -- OC and carry w/o a CHP is prohibited in State Parks -- not local public parks.
    Last edited by DaveH; August 5th, 2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Clarify that it is State parks I was referring to.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It depends: if you are on a privately owned vessel, you should ask permission first simply because you are on/in a private domicile(floating). If you are on public, i.e. charter or tour vessel, I would think not.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    It depends: if you are on a privately owned vessel, you should ask permission first simply because you are on/in a private domicile(floating). If you are on public, i.e. charter or tour vessel, I would think not.
    In Virginia, there is no need to ask permission in a private domicile.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks for the replies guys. That was pretty much what I was thinking. I have a CHP and will be carrying my M&P 9c in my CrossBreed SuperTuck.

Thanks again!
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

Links