Defensive Carry banner

EDC for my wife. Could use some thoughts.

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Thanis 
#1 ·
My wife has been expressing a need for a better carry option for sometime. We took a walk tonight, and she brought it up again. She likes her P99C, but given her frame, it does not work well for CC. So she is forced to purse carry.

Now I remember a conversation we had with a shop owner where he made clear either my wife need to change her clothing options or she was stuck. Don't get the wrong picture, my wife wears appropriate clothing in the size that fits her. Female clothing is just not designed like mens.

She and I have been talking over different options. My revolver will not do the trick as a pocket carry. The wheel digs inter her leg / hip and it is easy to make out she is carrying a firearm. I'm thinking the Ruger LCR would be about the same size.

The PPS, Kahrs, and other slim carries have been considered, and would be better than the P99C, but it still does not work IWB for her.

This has left me thinking about the Ruger LCP / Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP. While I would carry this in a pocket holster, she is talking IWB. I'm concerned, for some reason, this might not be a safe firearm to carry IWB. Thoughts on this?

Then any options out there we are not thinking of?

For example, a Kel-Tec Model P-32 would be even smaller than a Kel-Tec P3AT right? Any thoughts on a Kel-Tec Model P-32? Is it safe for IWB carry?

Please assume one in the chamber carry, and on person carry.

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, the KelTec .380 and the .32 are almost identical in size...the .32 is a 'hair' thinner...but not really noticeable.
I have both...:yup:

I bought my wife a S&W 637...it sits in the safe and she picked out the .32. She carries it in a super thin waist pack...super thin (not like a fanny pack at all).

Lately, I've been trying to convert her to a Glock-26...seems to be working out.

The KT .32 is fine, certainly much better than 'nothing', but between the two above, I go with the P-3AT...almost identical in size and has a bit more punch.:yup:

#3 ·
I carry a P32 chamber loaded in a pocket holster. I'm sure it would be fine in a properly designed IWB. I know one lady that has similar vues on changing her wardrobe. She uses one of these... Haugen Handgun Leather-StoreFront Product Detail Page

Better than purse carry.

#6 ·
Take her to the store and let her choose a gun she likes....
Agree, but how we ended up with the P99C. I stayed out of it, I had concerns about how easily it could be carried by her, but I wanted it to be her choice, so I said nothing. The plan now if to get a laser / light combo for it and make that her home SD firearm.

This time, as a CC, I want to be a little more involved, as I'm not really sure her thoughts on IWB carry of Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or Kel-Tec P-32 are safe. Anyone else see this concern as valid?

...I know one lady that has similar vues on changing her wardrobe. She uses one of these... Haugen Handgun Leather-StoreFront Product Detail Page Better than purse carry.
Thanks kpw, I'll show that to my wife. Interesting holster.

#5 ·
Has she tried appendix carry? What about a smartcarry? Seems to me that SC would be just the thing for a woman. Also, the single stack is the way to go. For me, I would PUSH for a 9mm over a .380. That's just my personal opinion though. If she has decent hand strength, go with a kahr, the cw9 or a pm9 (slightly smaller). If not then drop down to an LCP or a p3at. Those are SO small, she should have no problem with a SC or an IWB. Anything that covers the trigger guard and holds the weapon is all she needs. Just a minimalist approach. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
The safety of the guns isn't an issue. The big thing is that you want to carry the largest caliber you can comfortable shoot and carry.

If she can't comfortably carry anything bigger than a .380, then that's what you get. My personal opinion is that if you've got a choice, never go lower than a .380, especially when the gun is the same size as the .32. Preferably not lower than a 9mm with +P ammo.

I would recommend a Supertuck. If you go with the LCP or P3AT, Crossbreed makes a minituck for those. Comfortable carry, and you can tuck a shirt in if you want/need to.

#8 ·
...I would recommend a Supertuck. If you go with the LCP or P3AT, Crossbreed makes a minituck for those. Comfortable carry, and you can tuck a shirt in if you want/need to.
I'll show that to her.

Has she tried appendix carry? What about a smartcarry? Seems to me that SC would be just the thing for a woman. Also, the single stack is the way to go...
What I was thinking, but she does not want to appendix carry.

... For me, I would PUSH for a 9mm over a .380...
She loves her P99C 9mm, and can shoot 9mm well, so she made a good choice, but CC is the issue.

Agree on 9mm, and this may be the one piece of imput the resulted in her purchase of a P99C vs a .380. I wanted to get her armed, and maybe that also rushed her a little. We could not find Walther PPS or Kahr to borrow or rent prior to purchase, or I think she might have gone that way.

I had stated 9mm or better would be best. I like the 9mm or .38 +P as my min. Since then I've learned more, and can understand her want for a .380 ACP or .32 ACP.

Thanks everyone. More thoughts are welcome.

#9 ·
Ladies wear is, as you have discovered, not conducive to ladies' carrying expecially if she wants it to be flattering. Sometimes my wife will wear an outer shirt, untucked which would cover your firearm.

Wardrobe is a separate decision if you want to carry and the mode of carry. I have some extra poundage around the middle and the more "fitted" shirts have been forgotten. My pants are all newer and an extra 2". Had to in order to IWB.

Bottom line is in order to carry, current fashions and possible flattering wardrobe may not work. :hmmmm2:

#10 ·
If she can't look normal while carrying, she probably won't do it. A 380 auto is plenty powerful for most situations, especially if you can find worthwhile defensive ammo. Realize that the rest of the world sees 380 and 9mm as normal handgun rounds and perfectly suitable for self defense. Only here is 9mm seen as marginal and 45 as the standard.

I'm not trying to start a caliber war here, but insisting on a larger caliber seems likely to lead to this woman not carrying. Even I only carry an LCP, even though I have a Sig in 9mm. It's just a pain to conceal the larger gun and like your wife I refuse to change my whole look just to hide a gun.

Depending on how she dresses, a holster shirt may be an option. IWB is perfectly safe as long as the trigger guard is covered and she keeps her finger out of it while she holsters -- just like any other holster.

#11 ·
My wife LOVES her LCP. We go shoot and she does fine till about third or fourth mag. Her finger gets tired and she starts shaking a little. But this is fine. First couple mags are 9" paper plate. with a pinky extension and a hand all jr. its easy to control for a couple mags for her. This type of gun doesn't need to be shot a lot after the break in period. IMHO. Just a couple mags a week to stay proficient with the gun will do I think. She purse carries alot because of dresses and such. Its better than nothing. But I do have her going into the clothing stores and sticking her hand into the pockets to see if the gun would fit. Womens pockets are a lot swallower than mens. I fluff n buffed it and it hasn't failed yet, neither has my p3at and it's been shot a lot. All I shoot in them is WWB and Golden Sabre's. She wants to pocket carry but finding the right jeans/pants with large enough pockets it the chore. As far as the safety of the gun, it wont shoot unless trigger is pulled. So keep it in a holster of some kind with trigger covered. Have fun getting her fitted so she's comfortable.

#12 ·
I would look into the Walther PPS. It's a single-stack available in 9mm and .40, and is a very small and easy to conceal gun. Much thinner than a G26 or XD.

YouTube - Walther PPS vs Glock (size)

#13 ·
Missus Mac chose a Kimber Ultra Aegis II in 9mm - nice 1911 design, easy to load mags, crisp trigger, external safety. The Aegis has slimmer grips than the regular Kimber officer's size. It's dead-on accurate, and was 100% out of the box. She has a Smart Carry for summer wear and a Wild Bill leather tuckable IWB for when she wear an outer garment.

#15 ·
The P3AT/LCP should work fine, but have her test one out first. It isn't a range gun and it's only good for close quarters (<7ft). My wife despised mine at the range as it requires a solid grip.

As for 380 ACP - Corbon DPX was developed specifically for the P3AT and has proven penetration through multiple layers of denim. I trust it in all my 380s.

#31 ·
Think we are headed toward Ruger LCP with laser in a Crossbreed. Looks like the "best" next step. Thanks for replies, and always, could use any additional thoughts.

The P3AT/LCP should work fine, but have her test one out first..
She has shot a KT .32 ACP. No problems.

...Micro Desert Eagle in a Crossbreed MiniTuck...
Under consideration.

Has she held a S&W 642?
Mine fell in love with it.
She does not mind firing. I own and love it. For her, she can't really carry IWB any easier than her P99C. I know for most, this is not the case, but something about her height (shorter), waist (not hippy, but not lacking curves) , and just how clothing fits her, creates a problem.

...LCP (after the recall) is perfect for this style of carry either in the pocket, on IWB. They are double action only. The trigger pull to fire is exactly like firing a revolver.
Think this is the direction she is headed. With a cross breed IWB.

I respectfully disagree...Kahr PM-9, but it just barely exceeds the "no hassle" threshold. Meaning - I could carry one, but I'd have to dress for it. The LCP I can carry with anything without thinking about it...
How I see it.

If she's looked at a Kahr PM-9 or a Kel-Tec PF9 and those won't work, I'm not sure anything will. She may either have to choose between her style of dress and defending herself or pick some other form of carry (on body) than IWB...
Back of my mind, worried hoss is right, and after spending the funds, going to be back to the same issue, need to change clothing.

#16 ·
..............The PPS, Kahrs, and other slim carries have been considered, and would be better than the P99C, but it still does not work IWB for her.
If she's looked at a Kahr PM-9 or a Kel-Tec PF9 and those won't work, I'm not sure anything will. She may either have to choose between her style of dress and defending herself or pick some other form of carry (on body) than IWB.

This has left me thinking about the Ruger LCP / Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP. While I would carry this in a pocket holster, she is talking IWB. I'm concerned, for some reason, this might not be a safe firearm to carry IWB. Thoughts on this?
They're no different than any revolver or 90% of the CC firearms available.

For example, a Kel-Tec Model P-32 would be even smaller than a Kel-Tec P3AT right? Any thoughts on a Kel-Tec Model P-32? Is it safe for IWB carry?
Not enough size difference to even be noticeable:
Calibers: .380 AUTO
Weight unloaded: 8.3 oz. 235g
Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz. 81g
Length: 5.2" 132mm
Height: 3.5" 89mm
Width: .77" 20mm
Barrel Length: 2.7" 68mm
Sight radius: 3.8" 97mm
Muzzle Energy Max: 250ft-lbs 340J
Capacity: 6 + 1 rounds
Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 23N

Calibers: 32 AUTO
Weight unloaded: 6.6 oz. 186g
Loaded magazine: 2.8" 81mm
Length: 5.1" 129mm
Height: 3.5" 89mm
Width: .75" 19mm
Barrel Length: 2.7" 68mm
Sight radius: 3.8" 96mm
Muzzle Energy Max: 200ft-lbs 240J
Capacity: 7 + 1 rounds
Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 23N​

Hoss

#19 ·
If she's looked at a Kahr PM-9 or a Kel-Tec PF9 and those won't work, I'm not sure anything will. She may either have to choose between her style of dress and defending herself or pick some other form of carry (on body) than IWB.
[snip]
Hoss
I respectfully disagree. As a guy, I find that the LCP disappears into my jeans or slacks pocket and looks like a wallet. I love the Kahr PM-9, but it just barely exceeds the "no hassle" threshold. Meaning - I could carry one, but I'd have to dress for it. The LCP I can carry with anything without thinking about it.

If she's unable to find a good way to carry an LCP, even one of the tiny 22 revolvers or .25 autos would be a step up from pepper spray.

On the caliber front: +P rated 380 auto ammo can deliver more power than a standard 38 special round. Don't use it regularly, but as carry ammo Ruger (apparently) approves.

#17 ·
I had the same problem and I can tell you the Kel-Tec P3AT is so totally right for me! It fits in the IWB with absolutely no problem and I do not even know I have it on. I'v tried every kind of holster and when I went to the Kel Tec the problem just disappeared. Personally I like the Blackhawk soft suave holster but so far every holster I have used with my Kel Tec has been great. Now I realize that it wasn't the holster it was just the size of the gun.

#18 ·
I still agree with the biggest caliber you can shoot well, and adjust around that... and then a back up... but we get to choose for ourselves, that is the great thing about individuality...

IWB carry on a p-32 and p3at is fine, I do it some when I am around the house or whatever, however... the grips hurt my skin... I love the grips when I am shooting but against the skin they hurt, I would go with the LCP.

By the way the gun won't go off unless you pull the trigger at least my guns don't, perhaps if you drop them but they are not supposed too... then again I don't drop mine either... I think you should be safe there...

KT or LCP would be flexible also, IWB, ankle, pocket, purse, back pocket, holster shirt, almost any configuration... guarantees you'll have at least one gun on you!

#20 ·
Mom's carrying a Sig P232 in a smart carry. She is small framed too and also has shot my LCP and Colt Defender. The LCP is a bit snappy for her but, the added frame size and weight are just right on the P232. It's still small enough for her to hide it in a smart carry very comfortably. She's about 5'6" and 120lb. I alternate JHP and Ball every other bullet in her mags for both penetration (mainly a winter concern) and HP effectiveness. I know this may stir up a flurry but, this was advice from a LEO when told that she was carrying a .380.

#21 ·
SWMBO's EDC is an LCP, purse carry. She wants an IWB which we'll order soon. She has the CT laser. We both love that little pistol. If you have one there's no excuse for not carrying (where legal)! I want one. Friend has a gun shop and received a few a couple weeks ago. He's sold out. Cop's are buying 'em up as BUG's. It has a Lloooooooonnnggg trigger pull which doubles as the safety! Perfectly safe in a pocket holster or IWB!

BTW, her's likes Hornady's Critical Defense.

Stay safe, and armed.
Bob

#26 ·
Wow, you either got hold of a really bad one or I'm the luckiest guy that ever lived. I've got two of them, one 9mm & one 40 S&W and they both have outstanding triggers. In fact, probably the shortest reset of any trigger I ever pulled. I doubt it would work for the OP because it is a bit larger than some of the alternatives, but I sure don't share your bad experience with them.

Hoss

#28 ·
I saw in the OP at the end that he made reference to keeping one in the chamber. Ruger LCP (after the recall) is perfect for this style of carry either in the pocket, on IWB. They are double action only. The trigger pull to fire is exactly like firing a revolver.

#29 ·
How about this?

Micro Desert Eagle in a Crossbreed MiniTuck. Superbly comfortable, and would work the same with the LCP if that's what you want to go with. She won't even know she has it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.