EDC for my wife. Could use some thoughts. - Page 2

EDC for my wife. Could use some thoughts.

This is a discussion on EDC for my wife. Could use some thoughts. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thanis ..............The PPS, Kahrs, and other slim carries have been considered, and would be better than the P99C, but it still does ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC for my wife. Could use some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    ..............The PPS, Kahrs, and other slim carries have been considered, and would be better than the P99C, but it still does not work IWB for her.
    If she's looked at a Kahr PM-9 or a Kel-Tec PF9 and those won't work, I'm not sure anything will. She may either have to choose between her style of dress and defending herself or pick some other form of carry (on body) than IWB.

This has left me thinking about the Ruger LCP / Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP. While I would carry this in a pocket holster, she is talking IWB. I'm concerned, for some reason, this might not be a safe firearm to carry IWB. Thoughts on this?
    They're no different than any revolver or 90% of the CC firearms available.

For example, a Kel-Tec Model P-32 would be even smaller than a Kel-Tec P3AT right? Any thoughts on a Kel-Tec Model P-32? Is it safe for IWB carry?
    Not enough size difference to even be noticeable:
    Calibers: .380 AUTO
    Weight unloaded: 8.3 oz. 235g
    Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz. 81g
    Length: 5.2" 132mm
    Height: 3.5" 89mm
    Width: .77" 20mm
    Barrel Length: 2.7" 68mm
    Sight radius: 3.8" 97mm
    Muzzle Energy Max: 250ft-lbs 340J
    Capacity: 6 + 1 rounds
    Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 23N

Calibers: 32 AUTO
    Weight unloaded: 6.6 oz. 186g
    Loaded magazine: 2.8" 81mm
    Length: 5.1" 129mm
    Height: 3.5" 89mm
    Width: .75" 19mm
    Barrel Length: 2.7" 68mm
    Sight radius: 3.8" 96mm
    Muzzle Energy Max: 200ft-lbs 240J
    Capacity: 7 + 1 rounds
    Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 23N

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

My wife has been expressing a need for a better carry option for sometime. We took a walk tonight, and she brought it up again. She likes her P99C, but given her frame, it does not work well for CC. So she is forced to purse carry.

Now I remember a conversation we had with a shop owner where he made clear either my wife need to change her clothing options or she was stuck. Don't get the wrong picture, my wife wears appropriate clothing in the size that fits her. Female clothing is just not designed like mens.

She and I have been talking over different options. My revolver will not do the trick as a pocket carry. The wheel digs inter her leg / hip and it is easy to make out she is carrying a firearm. I'm thinking the Ruger LCR would be about the same size.

The PPS, Kahrs, and other slim carries have been considered, and would be better than the P99C, but it still does not work IWB for her.

This has left me thinking about the Ruger LCP / Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP. While I would carry this in a pocket holster, she is talking IWB. I'm concerned, for some reason, this might not be a safe firearm to carry IWB. Thoughts on this?

Then any options out there we are not thinking of?

For example, a Kel-Tec Model P-32 would be even smaller than a Kel-Tec P3AT right? Any thoughts on a Kel-Tec Model P-32? Is it safe for IWB carry?

Please assume one in the chamber carry, and on person carry.

I had the same problem and I can tell you the Kel-Tec P3AT is so totally right for me! It fits in the IWB with absolutely no problem and I do not even know I have it on. I'v tried every kind of holster and when I went to the Kel Tec the problem just disappeared. Personally I like the Blackhawk soft suave holster but so far every holster I have used with my Kel Tec has been great. Now I realize that it wasn't the holster it was just the size of the gun.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

cmb
    I still agree with the biggest caliber you can shoot well, and adjust around that... and then a back up... but we get to choose for ourselves, that is the great thing about individuality...

IWB carry on a p-32 and p3at is fine, I do it some when I am around the house or whatever, however... the grips hurt my skin... I love the grips when I am shooting but against the skin they hurt, I would go with the LCP.

By the way the gun won't go off unless you pull the trigger at least my guns don't, perhaps if you drop them but they are not supposed too... then again I don't drop mine either... I think you should be safe there...

KT or LCP would be flexible also, IWB, ankle, pocket, purse, back pocket, holster shirt, almost any configuration... guarantees you'll have at least one gun on you!

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If she's looked at a Kahr PM-9 or a Kel-Tec PF9 and those won't work, I'm not sure anything will. She may either have to choose between her style of dress and defending herself or pick some other form of carry (on body) than IWB.
    [snip]
    Hoss
    I respectfully disagree. As a guy, I find that the LCP disappears into my jeans or slacks pocket and looks like a wallet. I love the Kahr PM-9, but it just barely exceeds the "no hassle" threshold. Meaning - I could carry one, but I'd have to dress for it. The LCP I can carry with anything without thinking about it.

If she's unable to find a good way to carry an LCP, even one of the tiny 22 revolvers or .25 autos would be a step up from pepper spray.

On the caliber front: +P rated 380 auto ammo can deliver more power than a standard 38 special round. Don't use it regularly, but as carry ammo Ruger (apparently) approves.

Mom's carrying a Sig P232 in a smart carry. She is small framed too and also has shot my LCP and Colt Defender. The LCP is a bit snappy for her but, the added frame size and weight are just right on the P232. It's still small enough for her to hide it in a smart carry very comfortably. She's about 5'6" and 120lb. I alternate JHP and Ball every other bullet in her mags for both penetration (mainly a winter concern) and HP effectiveness. I know this may stir up a flurry but, this was advice from a LEO when told that she was carrying a .380.
    "The way I figure it having a concealed gun is like wearing your seat belt. You hope that you never need it but, the one time you don't wear it and something happens you or your mourning family will be sorry you didn't have it."

SWMBO's EDC is an LCP, purse carry. She wants an IWB which we'll order soon. She has the CT laser. We both love that little pistol. If you have one there's no excuse for not carrying (where legal)! I want one. Friend has a gun shop and received a few a couple weeks ago. He's sold out. Cop's are buying 'em up as BUG's. It has a Lloooooooonnnggg trigger pull which doubles as the safety! Perfectly safe in a pocket holster or IWB!

BTW, her's likes Hornady's Critical Defense.

Stay safe, and armed.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I respectfully disagree. As a guy, I find that the LCP disappears into my jeans or slacks pocket and looks like a wallet. I love the Kahr PM-9, but it just barely exceeds the "no hassle" threshold. Meaning - I could carry one, but I'd have to dress for it. The LCP I can carry with anything without thinking about it..........................
    Disagreement is the spice of life. Let's just try to disagree about something I actually said. First, read the OP. Thanis clearly indicates that his wife wishes to carry IWB:
    ..............The PPS, Kahrs, and other slim carries have been considered, and would be better than the P99C, but it still does not work IWB for her.

This has left me thinking about the Ruger LCP / Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP. While I would carry this in a pocket holster, she is talking IWB. I'm concerned, for some reason, this might not be a safe firearm to carry IWB. Thoughts on this?...............
    And my response was directed to the IWB method of carry:
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If she's looked at a Kahr PM-9 or a Kel-Tec PF9 and those won't work, I'm not sure anything will. She may either have to choose between her style of dress and defending herself or pick some other form of carry (on body) than IWB..................
    My point is, as stated, that IWB may not be viable for her even with a LCP. If she's looked at a PM-9 and doesn't believe that she can comfortably IWB carry that, then an LCP probably won't be much different when you factor in the size of the holster.

Now, as far as pocket carry, I won't really disagree with you about that. I'll say that I have no problem or discomfort pocket carrying my PM-9 and I don't change my style of dress to fit it. But, I never wear skin tight pants anyway so pocket carrying the slightly larger but twice as heavy PM-9 is no hassle for me. Others feel differently. That's not really a disagreement, just personal preference.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

A 380 auto is plenty powerful for most situations, especially if you can find worthwhile defensive ammo. Realize that the rest of the world sees 380 and 9mm as normal handgun rounds and perfectly suitable for self defense. Only here is 9mm seen as marginal and 45 as the standard.
    The .380 is virtually extinct as a police and military service pistol in Europe.

When high crime rates and terrorism hit Europe in the 60's, and the police and military organizations realized they needed guns that were more than showpieces, they scrapped the .380 in favor of the 9mm.

Massad Ayoob has documented the dubious performance of the .380 in self-defense situations, and recommends 9mm as a minimum.

..............On the caliber front: +P rated 380 auto ammo can deliver more power than a standard 38 special round. Don't use it regularly, but as carry ammo Ruger (apparently) approves.
    Apparently NOT! My email to and response from Ruger Customer Service:
    Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 08/07/2009
    Request No: 37758

Comment / question:

I am an LCP owner. I would like to know Ruger's official position on the use of +P 380 ammunition in the LCP. I fully understand that there is no SAAMI +P rating for the 380 but at least two manufacturers are selling 380 ammo with a +P rating, some with listed velocities as high as 1175 fps with a 90 grain bullet. Does Ruger consider these safe in the LCP?

Thanks,

Response:
    No. The Ruger LCP was not designed for use with +P ammunition. Given the LCP’s lightweight and compact design, the use of +P ammunition in this particular model may result damage to the firearm or personal injury.

If you need further information, please visit our website at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms
    Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Walther PPS ??? Then get a trigger job done to it as they have the worst triggers of any production gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Walther PPS ??? Then get a trigger job done to it as they have the worst triggers of any production gun.
    Wow, you either got hold of a really bad one or I'm the luckiest guy that ever lived. I've got two of them, one 9mm & one 40 S&W and they both have outstanding triggers. In fact, probably the shortest reset of any trigger I ever pulled. I doubt it would work for the OP because it is a bit larger than some of the alternatives, but I sure don't share your bad experience with them.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've been pretty well debunked - thanks for the clarification, especially on running +P 380 through an LCP.

I saw in the OP at the end that he made reference to keeping one in the chamber. Ruger LCP (after the recall) is perfect for this style of carry either in the pocket, on IWB. They are double action only. The trigger pull to fire is exactly like firing a revolver.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

How about this?

Micro Desert Eagle in a Crossbreed MiniTuck. Superbly comfortable, and would work the same with the LCP if that's what you want to go with. She won't even know she has it on.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

S&w 642?

Has she held a S&W 642?
    Mine fell in love with it.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links